News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 940     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

While we in the peanut gallery are most interested in the 0%-5% part of a design process (where does the line go? where are the stations? will it fit between these traffic lanes?), the 5%-100% part (how thick is the concrete layer under the tracks at the crest of the hill? how are the transformers arranged in mechanical room 15A?) is a bit boring but still kind of important.

Obviously those real design bits are very important, but they are far less controversial than the first 5%. The first 5% is where everybody wants their views on the route / alignment / station spacing etc being taken into account. The remaining 95% are guided by the established engineering practices and do not trigger public debates.

My understanding is that it is at the 5% stage, like the sheppard LRT.
I thought the tender package for much of the Sheppard East LRT from McCowan to Conlins was almost ready when TTC were planning to tender it themselves, when it was still on schedule for 2013, shortly after they began construction on the grade separation.

The province is trying to delay spending as much as possible until they can get their spending in order.. Majority of funding for the FWLRT will come after 2017, which is coincidentally when the Liberals plan to post a balanced budget.

As much as I think the Finch LRT is an outrageous amount of money, it could easily be up and running by 2017 but only if Toronto did the unthinkable and actually put a nickel towards the project themselves.

As much as I think the Finch LRT is an outrageous amount of money, it could easily be up and running by 2017 but only if Toronto did the unthinkable and actually put a nickel towards the project themselves.

Not a chance of that happening under Ford. Fingers crossed that our next mayor will be willing to raise taxes to pay for transit. The Big Move isn't enough.

After checking out Monro's blog, it does indeed seem Metrolinx is investigating accelerating the projects. The funding for the Scarborough subway won't need to start flowing until 2018 or 2019 now so they can rearrange the funding a bit. Hopefully the Sheppard LRT is first as that one is the controversial one. Everybody always seems to forget about poor old finch.

If you agree or oppose to getting started now on the Finch West LRT, because of delays to the SRT replacement, go to http://commonground.ontarioliberal.ca/ and cast your vote on the Finch West LRT now idea, at this link.

You may have to register to record your vote. You may want to create your own idea, after looking through the other ideas posted.

From the Metrolinx Board Meeting Update. Here

Finch West LRT Project
The master schedule has been prepared and reviewed internally and with Infrastructure Ontario. More detailed schedules are currently under development for internal management review in the first quarter of 2014.

No big news just a sign of where they are.

From the Metrolinx Board Meeting Update. Here

Finch West LRT Project
The master schedule has been prepared and reviewed internally and with Infrastructure Ontario. More detailed schedules are currently under development for internal management review in the first quarter of 2014.

No big news just a sign of where they are.

Am I correct in assuming this means they haven't started the design of the line yet?

The EA for the project from Yonge-Humber College was completed and submitted in March 2010. It's here.

I suspect however that this needs an amendment since it is being cut back to Finch West Station. The the schedules are probably referring to more detailed RFP design and issuing timelines seeing as there is consultation with Infrastructure Ontario.

Finch West; aka: Toronto's forgotten LRT.

Nobody ever talks about the thing :p

Because it doesn't go into Scarborough, like every other transit line we're planning & building :)

I like this project, especially if it continues to Yonge during phase 2 or towards the airport in the west. Northern Etobicoke needs transit badly, and the Finch buses have very high ridership but are packed full.

Back