News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Well, I hope if Finch West somehow survives the scrutiny of a change in government, acquiescence is reached on Scarborough's grade-separated transit ambitions as well. We need to make as many communities across the city accessible to real rapid transit as possible.

Also, canceling the FWLRT would instantly become the PCs own version of the gas plant scandal.
Not at all. The biggest scandal is that the money was wasted to cancel their own plans.

Governments cancelling the previous guys plans is always viewed differently - especially since it is usually tied with promises to make things better or cheaper.

Not at all. The biggest scandal is that the money was wasted to cancel their own plans.

Governments cancelling the previous guys plans is always viewed differently - especially since it is usually tied with promises to make things better or cheaper.

Then it would be the new Mike Harris filling the Eglington Subway and cutting Sheppard back significantly, or privatizing the 401. Last I checked, those were probably more hated than the gas plants.

Then it would be the new Mike Harris filling the Eglington Subway and cutting Sheppard back significantly, or privatizing the 401. Last I checked, those were probably more hated than the gas plants.
People tend to forget that PC and NDP both voted to cancel the gas plants too. In that context, I never got too mad about it.

Cancelling the FWLRT would have me seething at the mouth though.

Was also looking at the 400 south exit, it seems to get backed up a decent amount, the new configuration does help a bit by adding 2 left turn lanes to arrow rd, but I wonder if it would make sense to have a stub exit go to Signet through the hydro fields kinda like the york U busway perhaps just use it for trucks.

400 exit.JPG

400 exit 2.JPG

Attachments

• 400 exit 2.JPG
    400 exit 2.JPG
    477.9 KB · Views: 546
  • 400 exit.JPG
    400 exit.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 478
Just a thought: Finch is seeing massive widening and property expropriation to be able to squeeze in new median LRT "lanes". Many intersections are getting new right turn lanes, additional left turn lanes, and other types of improvements.

Has a study ever looked at what if the new median lanes are still general purpose lanes, and the outside lanes become express bus lanes and for right turns, entrances, etc. Would this overall be a better solution than a median dedicated LRT (considering average travel time for all road users).

Has a study ever looked at what if the new median lanes are still general purpose lanes, and the outside lanes become express bus lanes and for right turns, entrances, etc. Would this overall be a better solution than a median dedicated LRT (considering average travel time for all road users).

The main issue Finch is trying to solve is buses are too small for the passenger load. They're already running peak service with 2 buses per 90 second stop-light and looking at 3 in the not so distant future. Once you get buses purposefully scheduled to run in groups of 3 (since they cannot travel through red lights to be more evenly spaced), you might as well remove 2 of the drivers.

BRT like what Ottawa had would work for Finch but is much more invasive to build.

I don't believe the specific configuration you suggest was considered for Finch but any design which requires vehicles entering/exiting driveways to cross the BRT lanes would be troublesome.

Last edited:
What are the numbers like for Finch West. 4km of riders are not crowding the buses as now the buses go from Humber to Finch West (and not Finch).
Some service on the Bolton GO line would remove even more passengers from those buses

That's today. There is the Etobicoke General Hospital Redevelopment for one, current developments and future developments along Finch Avenue West in the future. See link for current developments. I can see the parking lots at Humber College North Campus being replaced by more classrooms and residencies for another.

They should be putting in the rapid transit now, before the development. Else, we'll end up like around Humber Bay in Mimico, where there is all that development already in and under construction, but without adequate transit because of the suburban councillors who don't like to spend anything for rail at ground level.

Last edited:

Back