News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Maybe Mammoliti is a mole for Ford. Delay the Finch LRT so Ford d0esn't have to.

Wouldn't surprise me (though it is thoroughly consistent with Mammo's stance on the LRT). Also do recall that Mammo wanted to run as a PC candidate as well.

I suppose payback might come in the form of that awkward OPP investigation?

AoD

Right. And we’ll continue to put up with this insanity unless we find a way to remove elected politicians from transit planning. I know, democracy...but this just isn’t working.
Transit should be designed, planned, funded and constructed as if it was a public utility, not a political football.

The only thing we need public oversight on when it comes to transit are fares, and provision of local surface transit (should bus routes emphasise coverage or ridership? That is more of a social choice).

So Finch West is absent from Doug's PC transit platform.

Should we take it to mean that Finch is fully-funded, contracts signed, and outside the scope of cancellation or modification during this election?

Additional details to the latest Mammo fiasco, and what will happen with future road closures on Finch West:

https://www.toronto.com/news-story/...-on-finch-light-rail-may-not-survive-council/

Good. Looks like this won’t impact construction timeline:

Metrolinx will be implementing a complete shut-down of Finch West, between Islington Avenue and Milady Road for a week starting May 18, in order to excavate and move a deeply buried gas line. That road closure has already obtained the necessary permits and won't be impacted by Mammoliti's motion, because it is under 30 days and senior city staff already have the ability to order closures.​

Lol what? The LRT is going to be twice as fast as the Finch West bus. Average travel speeds will be 24 km/h, up from 12 km/h today. Increases in capacity mean that, at least initially, everyone should be able to get a seat on the trains. Compare this to the current situation, where people have to let multiple buses go by, before they can squeeze in. Finally, the increased reliability of the LRT will make transit a lot more attractive. This is indeed a drastic improvement.

The average speed of the Eglinton crosstown is only going to be around 28 km/h maximum, and will probably be closer to 20 km/h, especially if full signal priority is not implemented and if some stops aren't cut. However, 22-24km/h is still a huge improvement so not complaining there.

But Finch West is a whole different story. It will have twice as many stops per kilometer as the Crosstown and has no underground or grade separated section that benefits from CBTC. Let's be real, it will probably only be a modest improvement to around 18 km/h. Still impressive, but still a cheap out on Metrolinx's behalf.

That's what happens when JT puts the useless on committees as rewards.

AoD
Since he hasn’t mentioned the Finch LRT at all I would be would bet about 250 plus million or quarter of a billion dollars ( all ready spent on moving the under ground infrastructure out of the way) that he will cancel this above ground project because he only believes in Subways for the greater good of the people of Etobicoke. Sound familiar Mike Harris did the same thing to Eglinton ( threw millions in the hole , cancelled the project & covered it up with dirt!
This project is ready now for the main Contractor ( Mosaic i think ) to start widening the road for track to be laid.
Mammo is trying to stall the project for Doug to get in. He’s only worried about the Trucks being detoured in his riding & may have a point. This being a very busy stretch by the 400 hwy. But for the good of the people cramed on busses , this project should proceed & could be modified with some underground tunnelling added thruough some of the busier corridors.
This would be similiar to Crosstown.
But only where it would help , say 400 & beyond weston rd or even just beyond Jane st. (Connect to future Jane LRT above )
If Doug Ford could present an updated plan for this project to proceed with a few enhancements it would make everyone feel a lot better. He would gain my vote of confidence also
But since he hasn’t I can only think that we will never see any Transit built in his backyard.
Subways subways subways
Stall stall stall
Nothing gets built in this area
What a shame so close very unfortunate

Should we take it to mean that Finch is fully-funded, contracts signed, and outside the scope of cancellation or modification during this election?
If Ford is elected, all of that doesnt mean a single thing. He's the kind of guy who does things without having any facts in hand, so if him cancelling the LRT means having "no streetcars", that's all that would really matter to him. Contracts mean virtually nothing to the man, and he wouldn't hesitate to tear them apart regardless of whatever the penalty may be.

What I can see happening is him cancelling the LRT, with the promise to build a subway instead which we all know would never end up coming into fruition. Either that, or he would demand for the entire line to be tunneled.

Back