News   Jul 15, 2024
 348     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 491     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I'm not feeling optimistic about anything that isn't a suburban subway. If this turns out to be Thug's riding and the PCs win a majority, well...I expect the same fate as Transit City under Slob. History is repeating itself, and there's no way Thug will want to continue or expand the Liberal's transit legacy. And will not matter how advanced the plans are, or if there are financial penalties. Thug is like a Canuck version of former NJ governor, Chris Christie who infamously cancelled a multi billion dollar tunnel between NYC and New Jersey that was already well into construction when he took office. Right wing blowhards live for these moments and often don't give a moments thought to repercussions down the road.

Should be extended to Finch Station at least
I'd extend Sheppard to Sheppard west, would allow for redundancy in the subway system and potentially new service patterns. Build an LRT on Jane instead of extending Finch East. It could integrate caryards for Eglinton and Finch West.

I'd extend Sheppard to Sheppard west, would allow for redundancy in the subway system and potentially new service patterns. Build an LRT on Jane instead of extending Finch East. It could integrate caryards for Eglinton and Finch West.
Finch east is a busy bus route. Extend both and double the redundancy. Even if the subway is built from Wilson to STC, there still could be shut downs, like what we see on the other lines every weekend.

Everyone stop panicking!

Here is the e-newsletter form the FWLRT: https://mailchi.mp/832991137d2d/finch-west-lrt-project-e-news

Has some nice goodies in it:

The Finch West LRT continues to progress through procurement and remains on schedule for construction to start in the fall of 2018. The project will be delivered as a design, build, finance, and maintain (DBFM) contract.

On December 13, 2017, Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx closed the Request for Proposal (RFP) with three interested parties (bids). The three RFP bids are currently being evaluated and a Preferred Proponent announcement is expected in April.

Specifics regarding the timeline will be confirmed and shared as we progress through procurement and the winning contract is announced. Keep an eye out for updates in future newsletters, and follow us on Twitter for regular project updates.

Everyone stop panicking!

Here is the e-newsletter form the FWLRT: https://mailchi.mp/832991137d2d/finch-west-lrt-project-e-news

Has some nice goodies in it:
Code:
if (DougFord.exists()) {
    everyone.setWillPanick(true);
    everyone.setPanicking(true);
} else if (KathleenWynne.exists()) {
    everyone.setWillPanick(false);
    everyone.setPanicking(true);
} else {
    everyone.setWillPanick(false);
    everyone.setPanicking(false);
}

I wonder how of those "pannicking" even ride the Finch West bus? Like as with Bloor-Yonge overcrowding, a lot of catastrophizing seems afoot.

The 32 Eglinton West and 36 Finch West are roughly the same lengths, however, in my experience, the crowding on the latter is far worst, even though it has lower ridership. I take the 32 Eglinton quite frequently, and despite that route using non-articulated 40-foot buses, I've never found the crowding on the route to be too bad. The times I've been on the lesser used Finch West bus, the crowding has been just about the worst I've seen anywhere on the TTC bus network, even though it is using 60-foot articulated buses.

I suspect the 36 Finch West ridership is highly concentrated during rush hours and on the eastern part of the line (roughly east of Jane, inclusive). In other words, the peak point ridership of 36 Finch West is probably greater than 32 Eglinton West, despite the latter having higher all day ridership. From this perspective, the Finch West route arguably needs capacity relief even more than Eglinton West does.

Beyond the crowding, the route is also infuriatingly slow.

So,

Back