News   Jul 15, 2024
 355     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 495     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Really though someone ought to submit it to the TTC it's really excellent looking... Now you just need to integrate the Go Lines within Toronto :)
What would you do with GO???

How about 2 letters for the line.
Currently
LW = Lakeshore West
MI = Milton
KI = Kitchener
BA = Barrie
ST = Stoufville
MA = Markham
LE = Lakeshore East

If the lines are paired togehter for continuous service through Union.
LS = Lakeshore (West and East)
MI = Milton (not paired)
KS = Kitchener-Stoufville
BR = Barrie-Richmond Hill

Stations could be numbered (as well as given names just as currently exist).

For colours, I would use a lighter shade of green than the Bloor "B" line, with each individual line getting a different colour dash. (Now that I think of it, maybe no subway or GO line should use red, and then it would be saved for the local streetcar and bus routes).

GO.jpg

Attachments

• GO.jpg
    GO.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 425

Currently
LW = Lakeshore West
MI = Milton
KI = Kitchener
BA = Barrie
ST = Stoufville
MA = Markham
LE = Lakeshore East

MI = Milton (not paired)

For colours, I would use a lighter shade of green than the Bloor "B" line, with each individual line getting a different colour dash. (Now that I think of it, maybe no subway or GO line should use red, and then it would be saved for the local streetcar and bus routes).

View attachment 135860
I thought about doing the GO map as well. As for the naming convention, yes 2 letters would be how it is done, since in Japan Commuter rail lines are given 2 letter designations.

Last edited:

Currently
LW = Lakeshore West
MI = Milton
KI = Kitchener
BA = Barrie
ST = Stoufville
MA = Markham
LE = Lakeshore East

MI = Milton (not paired)

View attachment 135860

Maybe its just me but this map design gives off a much different feel to the system. The map to me seems to change the perception of the GO System, if you knew nothing about the GO Train this map for me gives off a sort of "High Quality" transit feeling.

For the designation of "major stations" I chose stations which were either interchanges, or served some sort of importance to the city they serve (be it being in the city centre or being a major hub). Problem is that outside of Toronto, no other city really developed its core around a train station which to me is absurdly counter intuitive to urban planning and public transit, so picking "major stations" is more an exercise of opinion in some cases than actual fact. (For example which station would you consider to be Brampton's main station, Brampton or Bramalea?)

Attachments

• GOTrain_JP.png
    GOTrain_JP.png
    347.7 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Some neighbourhoods have stronger identities than others. For example, if Bathurst Station was renamed Annex Station, I don't think there would be that much confusion around it.

This would be a little weird, given that Dupont, St. George, and both Spadina stations are also in the Annex, but I take your point. I think the strong neighbourhood identity is really an Old Toronto thing, where the neighbourhoods are much smaller. In the more suburban areas, the neighbourhood identities don't come through to the same degree.

The other problem is that many of Toronto's neighbourhoods are bound by major streets, and since we typically place transit stations at major intersections, most of them are right on the border of two or more neighbourhoods, making it much less obvious which name they should take on.

This would be a little weird, given that Dupont, St. George, and both Spadina stations are also in the Annex, but I take your point. I think the strong neighbourhood identity is really an Old Toronto thing, where the neighbourhoods are much smaller. In the more suburban areas, the neighbourhood identities don't come through to the same degree.

The other problem is that many of Toronto's neighbourhoods are bound by major streets, and since we typically place transit stations at major intersections, most of them are right on the border of two or more neighbourhoods, making it much less obvious which name they should take on.

Fine! Why don't we just let the public name each station. Then we don't have to worry about it's connection. Only problem I see is we might have to limit the number of stations named "Station Mcstationface".

Construction updates for Finch West, at this link:

Finch Access Closure to Humber River Recreational Trail

The Finch West Light Rail Transit (LRT) is an 11km LRT running along Finch Ave. West between Keele Street and Humber College. The Finch West LRT will replace the 36A bus, increasing capacity and reliability of service along the route, while significantly reducing travel times for transit users on the corridor.
What: As part of this project, Enbridge Gas Distribution (Enbridge) will be relocating natural gas pipelines along the Finch West LRT route. As a result, the entrance/exit to the Humber River Recreational Trail from Finch Ave. West will be temporarily closed.

Why: To accommodate the construction of the new Finch West LRT, Enbridge will be relocating some natural gas pipelines on Finch Ave. West.

When: Starting March 22 to June 2018, the Finch Ave. West entrance/exit to the Humber River Recreational Trail will be temporarily closed.

Where: The work will take place on the north and south sides of Finch Ave. West between Islington Ave. and Pearldale Ave. Traffic will be affected in both directions on Finch Ave. West for the duration of the work. The Finch Ave. West entrance/exit to the Humber River Recreational Trail will be temporarily closed for the duration of the work. To access the trail, please use the Islington entrance/exit.

upload_2018-3-15_16-16-32.png

Gas Line Relocation for Finch West Light Rail Transit

The Finch West Light Rail Transit (LRT) is an 11km LRT running along Finch Ave. West between Keele Street and Humber College. The Finch West LRT will replace the 36A bus, increasing capacity and reliability of service along the route, while significantly reducing travel times for transit users on the corridor.

What: As part of this project, Enbridge Gas Distribution (Enbridge) will be relocating natural gas pipelines along the Finch West LRT route.

Why: To accommodate the construction of the new Finch West LRT, Enbridge will be relocating some natural gas pipelines on Finch Ave. West.

When: Starting the first week of April, work will begin on Finch Ave. West between Duncanwoods Dr. and the railway bridge east of Weston Rd. It is expected that the work will be completed by late August. Some work may be rescheduled due to weather conditions and unforeseen circumstances.

Where: The work will take place on the north and south sides of Finch Ave. West between Duncanwoods Dr., extending east of Weston Rd. Traffic will be affected in both directions on Finch Ave. West for the duration of the work.

upload_2018-3-15_16-15-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-15_16-15-57.png
    upload_2018-3-15_16-15-57.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 294
  • upload_2018-3-15_16-16-32.png
    upload_2018-3-15_16-16-32.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 443
Reactions: PMT
So this project looks to be nearly dead. After years of delays and excuses, Metrolinx has completely failed to select a company to build the line. We’re now just six weeks from the beginning of the election.

Preparatory works (such as utility relocations) continue, so maybe they’ll select a construction firm in the last hour. But I’m not optimistic. The handling of this project has been very poor

Last edited:
So this project looks to be nearly dead. After years of delays and excuses, Metrolinx has completely failed to select a company to build the line. We’re now just six weeks from the beginning of the election.

Preparatory works (such as utility relocations) continue, so maybe they’ll select a construction firm in the last hour. But I’m not optimistic. The handling of this project has been very poor

With the Liberals shift to social spending promises I'm not hopeful for much transit building anymore.

The PC's wont be that interested if elected due to the costs.

I wanted to remind myself what the exact status was so I looked at the most recent report to the Metrolinx board. Here's the status: "the RFP for the Finch West LRT closed on December 13, 2017 with 3 submissions;"

Fully agree that there is a risk this project could be cancelled and it would have been nice to have heard a decision on which of the three bids Metrolinx was going with. Anyone know the typical amount of time between RFPs closing and decisions being announced? How long was the wait for the Eglinton LRT?

You all realize that there was $9 billion in unallocated funding announced literally *This week*, yet everyone seems to be suddenly convinced that all funding is so surely going to be eliminated that a project that is literally under construction and days from from financial close is considered "nearly dead"? Get ahold of yourselves, you are way overthinking and being way too hyperbolic.

The RFP closed in December. They will announce their selected bidder any day now. Chill.

You all realize that there was $9 billion in unallocated funding announced literally *This week*, yet everyone seems to be suddenly convinced that all funding is so surely going to be eliminated that a project that is literally under construction and days from from financial close is considered "nearly dead"? Get ahold of yourselves, you are way overthinking and being way too hyperbolic.

The RFP closed in December. They will announce their selected bidder any day now. Chill.

My concern isn't the money. My concern is that the PC government will cancel this project on ideological grounds. If Metrolinx doesn't select a builder by May, this project is very likely dead. Metrolinx could sign the contracts at the 11th hour, but I can't at all trust them to do that. Metrolinx has consistently missed deadline after deadline with this project.

Back