News   Jul 15, 2024
 475     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 582     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Different name, but dont get it mistaken they are the exact same party. Conservatives have changed their names countless times both federally and provincially.

Ehhh, that's not really true. The BC Liberals most closely align to Conservative Party of Canada. Ontario and Quebec Liberals have a rather broad ideological spread, with the Quebec Liberals aligning closer with the Conservatives. NDP is the same party nationally, but there's been talk of splitting off the Alberta NDB due to ideological differences, especially around oil.

Ontario's parties tend to match closely with their federal counterparts, but I speculate that's only due to Ontario's disproportionate share of the Canadian population. I'd expect that around of 40% of federal Liberal members are from Ontario, with most of them also being part of the Ontario Liberal Party, which would force an ideological cohesion between the two parties that doesn't exist elsewhere in the country.

If you compare 8 years of PC rule - which resulted in a Sheppard line, and the 14 years of Liberal rule with a York Region Spadina extension and an Eglinton line - you have to give a strong advantage to the Liberals - by a factor of 2 or 3.
If you compare 10 years of Harper with then record amounts for transit to the 12 years of Chretien/Martin rule, you would give a very strong advantage to the Conservatives - maybe by a factor of 40 or more.

It's likely that in the mid 1990's to early 2000's, the price of oil was much lower (letting more people drive) and the 1990's recession caused transit ridership to drop and not recover even by the mid 2000's. There were concerns ridership would not recover.
It is hard to compare governments of different eras due to different conditions. What I pointed out was trying to compare goverments of the same era.

Everyone noticed that Harper led the best government in the G7 over his 10 years (best job creation, best increase in GDP, 2nd lowest increase in debt). But he added only 1% per year to jobs, increased GDP by only ~1.5% per year and raised debt by ~$130B.
If you look at Trudeau, he has added about 1.4% per year to jobs, increased GDP by ~2.4% per year and raised debt by ~$40B. But compared to G7, Trudeau is #5, #2, and #6.
If you look at raw numbers, Trudeau is better. If you compare to era, Harper is much better.
Similar to transit funding. Absolutely, the most recent leaders Wynne and Trudeau, appear best on transit, but when comparing how much better Wynne was the Harris, it is impossible to miss that Harper was an order of magnitude better than Chretien. Again, somehow comparing leaders to their era.

Another way of looking at it for hockey fans. Who is a better player; Blaine Stoughton or Evgeni Malkin. Knowing that Malkin has less 50 goal seasons.

Ehhh, that's not really true. The BC Liberals most closely align to Conservative Party of Canada. Ontario and Quebec Liberals have a rather broad ideological spread, with the Quebec Liberals aligning closer with the Conservatives. NDP is the same party nationally, but there's been talk of splitting off the Alberta NDB due to ideological differences, especially around oil.

Ontario's parties tend to match closely with their federal counterparts, but I speculate that's only due to Ontario's disproportionate share of the Canadian population. I'd expect that around of 40% of federal Liberal members are from Ontario, with most of them also being part of the Ontario Liberal Party, which would force an ideological cohesion between the two parties that doesn't exist elsewhere in the country.

Bob Rae was a Provincial NDP and is now a Federal Liberal.

Can we get back on topic

If we must...

I promise that if I ever win the lotto, I will buy a 'Party Car' for private charter use on the new LRT lines. Maybe there's a standard gauge preserved car in a museum somewhere that would work. If we can get a Jane LRT, the Finch line won't be landlocked and we can run citywide tours. Keep the car in the community-use area between uses.

- Paul

I promise that if I ever win the lotto, I will buy a 'Party Car' for private charter use on the new LRT lines. Maybe there's a standard gauge preserved car in a museum somewhere that would work. If we can get a Jane LRT, the Finch line won't be landlocked and we can run citywide tours. Keep the car in the community-use area between uses.

- Paul
Is that lee-gal?

- Paul

54-Muni1015-and-Breda-1547.gif

Here’s a standard gauge, double ended PCC streetcar in San Francisco. It would work!

Stop Naming Finch West LRT

About Finch West LRT

The Finch West LRT is an 11-kilometre light rail transit (LRT) line that will run along the surface of Finch Avenue West between the new TTC Finch West Subway Station at Keele Street to Humber College (Hwy. 27). It will include 18 stops, including 16 surface stops, plus an underground interchange station at Finch West (connecting to the new Toronto-York-Spadina Subway Extension), and one below-grade terminal stop at Humber College. Learn more

About this consultation
Metrolinx's Design Excellence team recently studied harmonization of regional transit wayfinding which includes station, stop and interchange naming. A set of principles were established for selecting names consistently across the regional transit network, helping to make transit easier to navigate.

Our five principles in determining new wayfinding names:

1. Simple - Simple names are easier to remember
  2. Logical - Logical names provide a mental link when trip planning, they should be relevant to the area they reside
  3. Durable - Names should be relevant as long as the station exists
  4. Self-locating - Names should allow users to mentally locate themselves within the region
  5. Unique - A unique name is one that cannot be confused with any other
For the Finch West LRT line, applying these principles has led us to propose changes to four stop names. Recognizing the importance of balancing technical requirements with public input, we are seeking your feedback on new names:

1. Jane and Finch (currently Jane)
  2. Mount Olive (currently Kipling)
  3. Thistletown (currently Islington)
  4. Emery Village (currently Weston)
We are accepting comments until February 12th, 2018.

We value your feedback. Your comments will be evaluated and a report analyzing all the responses will be posted following the online engagement closure. Your feedback will considered by the Metrolinx Board at the next Board of Directors meeting on March 8, 2018.

Back