News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I’m not sure I understand how interlining creates confusion. It seems to work just fine in London and Sydney, both of which have clear displays telling riders where the next train is going. Or are we saying Torontonians are simply too stupid to be able to read a sign?
Observe Danforth GO Station at times. There are some people who intend to board the Stouffville Train and end up on a Lakeshore East train, and visa-versa. I'm not labeling everyone as being inept, but it does happen.

Observe Danforth GO Station at times. There are some people who intend to board the Stouffville Train and end up on a Lakeshore East train, and visa-versa. I'm not labeling everyone as being inept, but it does happen.
To be fair, GO trains do not have signs showing where they are going.

I’m not sure I understand how interlining creates confusion. It seems to work just fine in London and Sydney, both of which have clear displays telling riders where the next train is going. Or are we saying Torontonians are simply too stupid to be able to read a sign?

If you have 2 lines that are interlined, then you need to have them on the same headways, or at least some multiple that allows for an even headway. Two trains can not occupy the same track at the same time.

As well, delays on one branch can cascade and affect the whole line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There are few potential routes in Toronto that I can think of where interlining would make sense. Perhaps only the interlining of the SRT and EELRT with ECLRT.

But even if the ECLRT did somehow have the passenger capacity for ECLRT + SRT + EELRT, I can’t imagine that we’d be able to provide adequate headway on either the EELRT or SRT branch. Both branches would warrant 3 min headways, meaning the central section would need to have 1.5 min headways, which is impossible.

If the Sheppard East subway is ever built, it could potentially be interline with the DRL. Travelling westbound into Don Mills, one branch would travel west to Yonge, which the other travels south to Downtown. This would help reduce crowding on Line 1 and significantly speed travel times downtown. It’s not necessarily something I support, but it’s plausible.

If you have 2 lines that are interlined, then you need to have them on the same headways, or at least some multiple that allows for an even headway. Two trains can not occupy the same track at the same time.

As well, delays on one branch can cascade and affect the whole line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
And having said that, how do other operators resolve these problems?

There are few potential routes in Toronto that I can think of where interlining would make sense. Perhaps only the interlining of the SRT and EELRT with ECLRT.

But even if the ECLRT did somehow have the passenger capacity for ECLRT + SRT + EELRT, I can’t imagine that we’d be able to provide adequate headway on either the EELRT or SRT branch. Both branches would warrant 3 min headways, meaning the central section would need to have 1.5 min headways, which is impossible.
That's with the current ECLRT right.

If they would have grade-separated ECLRT to Kennedy - it would have been perfectly feasible to run it as interlined.

And having said that, how do other operators resolve these problems?

In some cases they grin and bear it. Some cities run services of such low frequency that there are virtually never any issues that arise with train throughput. In others, they make it work until such a point that delays are inevitable, and then they will try and separate the services.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Don't think this one was posted yet.

upload_2018-1-18_10-48-57.png

DTwzst2X0AEk9bk.jpg:large

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-18_10-48-57.png
    upload_2018-1-18_10-48-57.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 419
Crush load? Absolutely.

Find a seat? No.

A “crush load” value of 292 persons is nonsense. Transit doesnt operate at crush loads in reality. People are inefficient at spacing themselves. They won’t squeeze in as many people as possible because they like their space.

The TTC LFLRV has a similar crush load, but the actual planned revenue service loads are significantly lower.

Back