News   Aug 13, 2024
 514     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 566     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

If the government does not have the contracts signed for the construction of this line signed by election time, I am very likely not going to be voting for them. Not because the FWLRT as an individual project is imperative, but because this project is a litmus test for how seriously this government views building transit. It's a limits test for if this government views transit as critical for Ontario's future, or merely as a tool to win votes. My patience is wearing thin with QP's incessant musing about building transit.

If the government does not have the contracts signed for the construction of this line signed by election time, I am very likely not going to be voting for them. Not because the FWLRT as an individual project is imperative, but because this project is a litmus test for how seriously this government views building transit. It's a limits test for if this government views transit as critical for Ontario's future, or merely as a tool to win votes. My patience is wearing thin with QP's incessant musing about building transit.

Now you know how us subway advocates feel seeing our pet projects slowly withering away on the vines as well thanks to the Liberal government's planning paralysis. Welcome to the club.

Now you know how us subway advocates feel seeing our pet projects slowly withering away on the vines as well thanks to the Liberal government's planning paralysis. Welcome to the club.

What do I gotta do to be a "subway advocate"? Advocate for subways all the time, most of the time? It's a pretty bizarre thing to identify as.

But yes, it's frustrating. It's now going onto three election cycles where the Liberal campaigned on this (and Sheppard) being built, and three election cycles we've seen nothing actually built. Welcome to transit "planning" in Toronto.

What do I gotta do to be a "subway advocate"? Advocate for subways all the time, most of the time? It's a pretty bizarre thing to identify as.

But yes, it's frustrating. It's now going onto three election cycles where the Liberal campaigned on this (and Sheppard) being built, and three election cycles we've seen nothing actually built. Welcome to transit "planning" in Toronto.
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

It appears that many are willing to be shamed 3 times.

Bombardier is not responsible for this delay, the line was supposed to be open two years ago. Metrolinx had no reason to delay the current procurement so the bidders could include vehicles in their bid, then go and order vehicles anyway that they won't need, there was already large surplus of vehicles on order because of all the other lines they keep on cancelling.

It's not showing on the metrolinx site yet, but Finch Ave W. Between Islington Ave and Ardwick Blvd has been reduced to 2 lanes for the next phase of the gas main relocation.
Also they're setting up a community office at 2540 Finch Ave W. in the Finchdale Plaza 2 stores east of BMO.
Metrolinx site has been updated with 2022 completion date.

Let's be honest, main reason this line keeps getting delayed is that not a lot of people care about it. It's useful but too peripheral and too low stakes to matter. It doesn't win or lose anyone any votes, and isn't an urgency from an economic impact point of view.

David Miller tweeted:

1. The Finch LRT serves many of the lowest income people in Toronto. Connects Jane/Finch, Rexdale, Humber College to rapid transit.
2. Premier McGuinty canceled agreed upon, and announced, funding in 2010 budget. If not, Finch LRT would have been running long ago.
3. Province insisted on Metrolinx creating a new procurement process despite TTC design being complete, ready to go in 2010.
4. Province/Metrolinx responsible for nearly all the delays to Finch LRT construction. Some gall to blame others.

Back