News   Jul 11, 2024
 4.4K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 168     2 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 389     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Right, that's never happened before... tbh, in Ontario, you don't even need a change in government to [effectively] cancel projects. The Sheppard E Lrt was suppose to open in 2013.

Right, that's never happened before... tbh, in Ontario, you don't even need a change in government to [effectively] cancel projects. The Sheppard E Lrt was suppose to open in 2013.
By the time the of the 2018 election, one (1) rapid transit expansion will be in operation in Toronto since the Liberals came to power in 2003: the extension to York U. Am I forgetting something?

Looks like a Dec 2021 opening for Finch West is optimistic. Anne-Marie Aikins of Metrolinx confirmed on Twitter that the RFP close has been pushed back to Fall 2017 from Spring 2017 so that the RFP can be expanded to include vehicles. Bombardier's vehicle delays pose the largest threat to the timely completion of the project. I have always feared that Finch West, with a lower profile and fewer champions than Eglinton, is at greatest risk should there be a change in provincial government. It's important that we continue to advocate for it and track its progress.
I hear you. I too, am a little worried that Brown might do what Mike Harris did and kill this project early on. However, Brown did state that he'd leave funded transit projects alone and let municipalities decide which types of projects are funded, though I'd wait closer to the election to see his transit platform.

Having said that - it's not 1995, transit is a far more important issue to voters now. If the PCs form government next year and then proceed to cut transit funding, there would be a backlash. Especially for a line like this, which passes through two priority neighbourhoods. The Liberals and NDP could easily attack them for denying much-needed transit to poorer residents.

If there is one thing the Provincial Government and Metrolinx knows how to do with transit, it's delay, defer, foot drag and cancel.

Indeed, not a good time to delay. I thought this project is firmly on track, but now some risks begin to show.

Finch LRT is not very expensive, and hopefully it will make it an un-attractive target for cancellation should the government change. But, who knows.

I really wish we could have built Finch West first. It would have been a showcase line without the baggage of the Sheppard line. Oh yeah, and I could have used it to get to Humber.

Metrolinx could just have tendered it and issue a request for vehicle separately like the Crosstown. Metrolinx just want to push it back citing vehicles.
I wonder if they will have anyone bid on them after how they treat their contractors. From saying in the media that they installed part of a pedestrian bridge upside down then announcing they are suing a company ahead of when they need the vehicle and then acting like a kindergarten child when they sue them back.

If there is one thing the Provincial Government and Metrolinx knows how to do with transit, it's delay, defer, foot drag and cancel.

This provincial government has already canceled or delayed implementation of Transit City a half dozen times. This is just another addition to the list. Fool me one, shame on you. Fool me half a dozen times, I'm not gonna get fooled again. Metrolinx can't be trusted. I'll believe what they say when I see it built with my own eyes.

I hear you. I too, am a little worried that Brown might do what Mike Harris did and kill this project early on. However, Brown did state that he'd leave funded transit projects alone and let municipalities decide which types of projects are funded, though I'd wait closer to the election to see his transit platform.

Having said that - it's not 1995, transit is a far more important issue to voters now. If the PCs form government next year and then proceed to cut transit funding, there would be a backlash. Especially for a line like this, which passes through two priority neighbourhoods. The Liberals and NDP could easily attack them for denying much-needed transit to poorer residents.

Again... I'm praying that you're right!

I don't know how you claim this when the last PC leadership committed to canceling the Finch LRT.
Perhaps the last PC leadership is the 'prior' PC leadership because of bull-headedness and a general aptitude for putting its foot in its mouth.

What counts is what the current leadership thinks, and that is a bit unclear from where I sit.

Last edited:
Perhaps he last PC leadership is the 'prior' PC leadership because of bull-headedness and a general aptitude for putting its foot in its mouth.

What counts is what the current leadership thinks, and that is a bit unclear from where I sit.

I agree that the prior PC leadership is history now; it's irrelevant. However, the fundamental beliefs of political parties are very slow to change. Since the "common sense revolution" days, the Progressive Conservatives have consistently shown themselves to be hostile to public transit expansion. The fact that Hudak or Harris are not in leadership anymore will not erase that hostility overnight. It is logical to be skeptical of the PCs plans for transit expansion or funding, until they propose something to demonstrate that they will not stand in the way of transit expansion.

Back