s0648_fl0194_id0012.jpg

s0648_fl0194_id0015.jpg

s0648_fl0194_id0011.jpg

Passageway to streetcar shuttle at Keele Station
s0648_fl0194_id0010.jpg

Bay Station with interlined service with Yonge trains
s0648_fl0194_id0005.jpg

Treasure trove of images:

gencat.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/systems/toronto.arch/resource/fo1567/ser648/ser648/

Re: Bloor Danforth subway 1966

Bring back Lower Bay!

Nice shots. The stations were probably quite sophisticated at the time.

Fantastic images! Everything looked so sleek, streamlined, shiny and new!

Wow... photos of the Bloor Danforth when it was actually sparkling clean!

Fantastic thread!

Those east/west/downtown signs at Bay make me understand a little better why that system was decided against. :)

Also nice reminder of that brief moment when the red Gloucester cars ran on the B-D line as well as the Y-U line...

From Transit Toronto, this is what the passageway to the old Keele streetcar loop now looks like...

subway-5118-02.jpg

You can see the original scuff marks.

I'm sure all the litter that is so prevalent in today's system, is just out of shot in these pictures.

You should see the photos of stations like Rosedale and Bathurst in this set. The landscaping is phenomenal, absolutely pristine, as are the streetscape photos as well. It just seems like people back then acted, well, better than we do now, at least with regards to keeping the place looking good. Note that not one person in those photos is carrying a coffee, for example.

^ Agreed. In the 60s, 70s, and into the 80s, litter in the subway was virtually unknown. Likewise graffiti in the city, and posters plastered all over the public space. The city may have been more conservative and boring, but there definitely was a higher level of civility.

These pictures are great! Any chance of getting more of them posted?

These are gorgeous. I wish the archive link had a better naming converntion; but then again, opening each one up - is like a mystery and it doesn't often disappoint. Awesome stuff.

I have some time tomorrow so I'll see if I can get more up. I belong to the Toronto Traction mailing group, and a gentleman named Bill has kindly separated them into themes. Incidentally, there is an entire other archive of photos from the 1920s to the 1950s, including rare pictures of Dundas carhouse (Dundas and Howard park), the construction of routes like St. Clair, Townsley Loop, Rosedale Loop, and pics of Yonge and Carlton pre-jog connection, AND pre Maple Leaf Gardens, and the construction of the CN overpass at Queen and DeGrassi. Very cool.

Back