News   Jun 25, 2024
 452     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     3 

Exiting a purchase while still within first 10 days

ArcticS

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was wondering what steps are required to back out of a new condo purchase while still within the first 10 days of signing. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the purchase was made at a broker preview sale. Someone was mentioning something about a recision letter. Any help would be appreciated.

Walk back into the Sales centre and tell them you are cancelling within the 10 day cooling off period. Ask for your deposit cheque back. They should fill out some paperwork confirming the cancellation. Go sooner rather than later.

I've gone through the process twice, but both times I had an agent who was handling it for me. The agent made sure everything was done properly, and I put my full trust in the agent to guide me. I just signed papers, and got my deposit cheque back.

The second time, I bought my current home (resale) before completing the cancellation of the pre-construction purchase, and the agent put a condition on the resale purchase - that it was conditional on my being able to pull out of the pre-construction purchase.

Not sure that helps, but the point is that I had someone who knew what they were doing guiding me. I was told that it's basically pretty straightforward, but the procedure can vary a bit from one place to another.

thanks for the tips.

The project is Charlie :( ... I was really looking forward to it, but unfortunately, the only unit I was able to get was one that was out of budget.

Ok, so I called them to let them know I'd be cancelling, and they asked what unit I purchased and all that. Then she said, no problem, they'll take that unit back without question. That particular unit has gone up $13,000, and the sales aren't even open to the public yet. She then told me a couple smaller units have opened up for less, so if I wanted, I could switch to those, so we're now considering that.

I'm assuming that much of a price jump is normal from broker sales to public sales?

Who said anything about disposable?

If someone gains pleasure from the knowledge that their condo will be brand spanking new, I think that's a valid consideration to take when condo shopping.

Because *gasp* thats right, not EVERYONE worries about what the market is like, or will be like, or about depreciation, or about how much profit they will make in the future....they buy a unit because they like it and it makes them happy!

Can you imagine someone buying a new construction condo, financing it with a 40-year mortgage, then actually living in it for 40 years?!? Yeah right.

Ok, some of the reasons we wanted to go new are first the fact that if we purchased now for something that we want in 3-4 years, it would be significantly cheaper to purchase ahead of time, without having to worry about a mortgage until closing. Another reason is, as you guys mentioned, I personally prefer newer design, finishes and archetecture rather than older. In this particular situation, we assessed the location, and realized that in 4 years, when the dust has settled, the area will likely be much higher in demand than it is now, and will likely be unaffordable to buy there at that time.

From my very limited experience, it appears that generally speaking, buying pre-construction, value appreciation is less dependant on the market. When I'm looking at purchasing, I'm not only looking at whether it would be a nice place to live, but also it's investment value. IF we decided to flip before occupancy, there is a fairly good chance that we would make a little money. If we were on the other hand to take the money we would put as a downpayment, and invest it elsewhere, in a mutual fund or something similar, which would appreciate more in a couple years?

As I'm sure you guys are aware by now, I'm fairly new to real estate, so pardon me if any of my comments are naive.

I think 40 year mortgages are preferable if they provide enough pre-payment and lump sum payment privleges.

Back