News   Jul 23, 2024
 277     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 344     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 954     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Postscript to the Art Noveau building at 70 Wellington West. It stood on the north side of Wellington between York and Bay, until demolished for the TD Centre:

wellingtonbay.jpg

Where were Toronto's photographers when all those buildings were demolished for the TD Centre?
Do we have any visual records of the destruction?
I don't recall seeing any.

That building with the Royal Bank branch at the NW corner of Bay & Wellington - it appears that the current structure there may be the same, just with a new facade. Can anyone confirm this?

Where were Toronto's photographers when all those buildings were demolished for the TD Centre?
Do we have any visual records of the destruction?
I don't recall seeing any.

Excellent question, Goldie. There's a little bit in the Star Archives site, but not much:

tdcentre.jpg

Caption: 19660727;MET;news;xx -- ORNATE BUILDING AT KING AND BAY STS. IS CAREFEULLY REDUCED AFTER 53 YEARS TO MAKE WAY FOR CENTRE: Hundreds of persons have purchased marble, bronze and walut from wreckers as souvenirs of grand old building.

tdcentre2.jpg

Caption: Construction of TD Bank at Bay and King. Photo taken by Norman James/Toronto Star Nov. 25, 1964.

I stand corrected, however, the first future monarch of the royal family to visit Canada was actually Prince William (the future William IV), who visited Canada in 1786 as part of a naval contingent. The 1901 visit was unique in being the first visit by a female member of the royal family, the future Queen Mary.

Princess Louise, Queen Victoria's sixth child, was the Viceregal Consort of John, Duke of Argyll and Marquis of Lorne - Canada's Governor General - and lived at Rideau Hall for five years from 1878.

Princess Louise, Queen Victoria's sixth child, was the Viceregal Consort of John, Duke of Argyll and Marquis of Lorne - Canada's Governor General - and lived at Rideau Hall for five years from 1878.

Tempted though I am, U.S., to continue our almost-talmudic discussion on whether a sojourn for five years is the same as a visit, I will desist. I do, however, want to thank you for introducing me to Princess Louise, an unconventional royal and a fascinating character, who was also an artist and scupltress, and lived until 1939, dying at the age of 91. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Louise,_Duchess_of_Argyll).

Below is a portrait of her and an illustration of her fishing (a sign of her unconventionality). Alberta and Lake Louise are named after her.

louise1.jpg

louise.jpg

Perhaps we're splitting hairs ( heirs? ) by setting a distinction between visits and sojourns? After all, William Duke of York's brief visit in the 1780's wasn't an official event akin to the pre-Confederation tour of the Canadas, Upper and Lower, made by Edward Prince of Wales in 1860 - or the later visit by the future George V and Queen Mary to post-Confederation Canada you highlighted earlier - since the political entity and society he came to was in its infancy. William's younger brother Edward Duke of Kent ( Queen Victoria's father ) had a sojourn in Quebec lasting several years in the 1790s, but it may also be seen in the same light.

The view from here

One can only imagine their innocent thoughts:

Attachments

• 64 Logan Ave. 1942.jpg
    64 Logan Ave. 1942.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 260
And of late, what of The Late Lady Iris?

Regards,
J T

I did an acting stint in my teens and she came to see a show that I was in. We all got to meet her afterward but my memory of her is a little vague. I do remember her being well dressed, very pleasant and chatty but somewhat fragile - and a little loopy from too much to drink. This was around the late '70's. Some time after meeting her I remember trying to research her through a library but I couldn't find anything on her. I remember being told that she was shunned by the Royals but I never knew why.

" I do remember her being well dressed, very pleasant and chatty but somewhat fragile -

and a little loopy from too much to drink." QUOTE dt_toronto_geek.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and very much into music. Jazz, inparticular.

A VERY NICE LADY.

I do wonder what of her son Robin.

Regards,
J T

Just got my hands on an original copy of One Hundred Glimpses of Toronto originally published in 1901; this may be a later addition since it includes the Traders Bank (as a rendering), which was completed in 1906. Interesting "classic" views of Toronto, one could almost look at it as the Official Book of Victorian/Edwardian Toronto (the Queen City of Canada). Some excerpts:

e0ee174b.png

3781a680.png

952fb26d.png

d4aa3752.png

6fd092dc.png

68d5f958.png

ded0dffc.png

c4336636.png

3cb886ce.png

0398c981.png

5f4bc357.png

d6303db4.png

55e04518.png

4941ce97.png

ef1177c5.png

6bc60cde.png

Last edited:
Just got my hands on an original copy of One Hundred Glimpses of Toronto...

Nice snag! Dare I ask what it cost? :)

For those of us not as lucky as thecharioteer, it’s available online at:

http://www.archive.org/details/onehundredglimps00torouoft

…along with the less intense Fifty Glimpses of Toronto and Vicinity:

http://www.archive.org/details/fiftyglimpsesoft00toro

It’s interesting to compare your image of The Lakeside Home with this earlier image from the July 1897 issue of Canadian Architect and Builder:

v10n7plate4.gif

Back