News   Jul 03, 2024
 320     1 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 324     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Here are a couple of interesting pictures of 38 1/2 North St, now Bay Street, just south of Bloor Street - apparently built in 1905 and designed by W.R. Mead - according to the City of Toronto Archives record. Here it is in about 1908 as the Margaret Eaton School of Literature and Expression:

f1244_it2405.jpg

By the 1930's it is Mosher's and had lost the ornate front, and some of the windows, but the building to the north (our right) was still there as well:
f1244_it7334.jpg

Does anyone have any other photos of this building? http://www.heritagetoronto.org/discover-toronto/photos?page=2 has some details, but I wonder what Msher's was... when the building was torn down, etc...

A good find of that rather sad picture of the portico-less school. I posted this pic and map last summer on the "Then and Now" thread along with this lovely description by Eric Arthur from Toronto No Mean City:

"Were it not for the so typical Toronto cottages on both side and the shabby Hydro pole, the central building might be the headquarters, somewhere in Asia Minor, of a mysterious and unrecorded cult. Anything more unlike a school for young girls could hardly be imagined. "Beauty and fitness" is, I am told, a loose translation of the motto on the architrave which must have been a source of bewilderment to taxi-drivers. Except for the Registry Building on Edward Street, this was the swan song of the Greek revival in Toronto."

eatonschool.jpg

eatonschoolmap.jpg

By 1931, it appears to be gone:

baysouthofbloor.jpg

Last edited:
I believe that Edward, Prince of Wales, visited the Canadas in 1860 as a warm-up act for Confederation.

I stand corrected, however, the first future monarch of the royal family to visit Canada was actually Prince William (the future William IV), who visited Canada in 1786 as part of a naval contingent. The 1901 visit was unique in being the first visit by a female member of the royal family, the future Queen Mary.

I always wondered what happened to the Exchange Building on Wellington at Leader Lane, one of the finest Georgian buildings of early Toronto. I found out, by accident, running across some photos on the Toronto Archives site about the fire at the Imperial Bank on Wellington East on March 20, 1941:

1856:

The_Exchange_1856.jpg

1878:

Toronto_Stock_Exchange_in_1878.jpg

1941:

fire21941.jpg

fire3-1.jpg

fire4-1.jpg

If I may, here is my picture of an engraving of The Exchange from my book: "Toronto, a Pictorial Record 1813-1882, Charles P. deVolpi, DEV-SCO Publications, 1965.

DSCF3385.jpg

DSCF3386.jpg

Not captured by the camera in order to preserve the detail of the Exchange, is the following text:

"Lithographed by Maclear & Co., Toronto, from drawing by Lucius O'Brien c. 1854." "J. Grand, Architect."

Thanks for that Mustapha. Here are a few more that illustrate that at some point those wonderful Doric columns got replaced by arched windows:

17zu0.jpg

exchange2.jpg

exchange3.jpg

And the site remained vacant after the fire, with the balance of the block between Scott and Leader Lane soon to follow:

wellingtoneast2.jpg

1867:

ontariobank.jpg

ontariobank2.jpg

wellingtonscott3.jpg

wellingtonscott.jpg

wellingtonscott2.jpg

Last edited:
What weirds me out is that not only did this stuff survive into the 50s/60s, it survived so *whole*--classical and iron details and all, few inappropriate depradations. Makes me wonder what they were on to throw it all away...

What weirds me out is that not only did this stuff survive into the 50s/60s, it survived so *whole*--classical and iron details and all, few inappropriate depradations. Makes me wonder what they were on to throw it all away...

Not always, as witnessed by the sad decline of the Pacific Building on the NE corner of Front and Scott, from its High Victorian splendour to its stripped-down shell prior to its demolition (interesting side-note: according to the Business Section City map of 1945-56, the Pacific Building was owned by the Trustees of the University of Toronto):

frontmap2-1.jpg

fronteast-1.jpg

fronteast-1-1-1.jpg

fronteast14.jpg

frontscott.jpg

Last edited:
Old-Time Tweeting

The beginnings of our Internet passion:

Attachments

• Internet - 164 years ago.jpg
    Internet - 164 years ago.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 290
  • tweeting.jpg
    tweeting.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 282
Of incidental note, the "west wall of The Gooderham Flat Iron Building", is owned by The City of Toronto,

the above being bonded to it during it's construction. (1892)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Eric Arthur's book Toronto No Mean City, first published in 1964 by the University of Toronto Press, was the first book that opened my eyes to the architectural history of our city. Written at a time when the razing of the old city was in full swing, it is both a lament and a celebration, beautifully written with numerous photographs and drawings of a city being transformed.

Here are a few excerpts of showing some of the buildings recently discussed in this and the "Then and Now" threads:

Scan-2.jpg

macdonald-1.jpg

royalinsurance.jpg

wellington70.jpg

BNS-1.jpg

macdonald-2.jpg

macdonald-3.jpg

Last edited:
Postscript to the Art Noveau building at 70 Wellington West. It stood on the north side of Wellington between York and Bay, until demolished for the TD Centre:

wellingtonbay.jpg

Close-up:

wellingtonbay-1.jpg

Back