News   Jul 19, 2024
 348     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 629     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

That little Gothic gem didn't take long to start to turn "coal", black!

Regards,
J T

A few more pics of the Simpson's block, particularly the NE corner of Bay & Richmond:

1911: buildings probably dating back to the mid 19thC:

bayrichmond1911a.jpg

bayrichmond1911.jpg

In the 20's an exquisite little Gothic Revival building emerges (one of my all-time favourite pics of Toronto):

bayrichmond1924.jpg

bayrichmond1927.jpg

Until it is replaced by the present building, part of the Simpson's complex in 1928 (showing it under construction):

bayrichmond1928.jpg

1930:

bayrichmond1930.jpg

very interesting to see the evolution of this site! its kind of a neglected story i think--over the years, the tale of Eaton's (and its Centre) has been much more of a focal point

i'm just so thankful that the old Simpson's building still exists...and seems to be almost thriving at the moment...

Can we say that the above pic was taken on a Sunday, 2:26 PM?

(Minimal traffic + pedestrians, also note the windows of the Simpson's store

are with drapes closed.)

Regards,
J T

Can we say that the above pic was taken on a Sunday, 2:26 PM?

(Minimal traffic + pedestrians, also note the windows of the Simpson's store

are with drapes closed.)

Regards,
J T
Great observation! I'm surprised the photographer wasn't arrested for doing anything either than going to church or having quiet contemplation at home on the Lord's Day.

I have only one work for this wonderful thread.........Great.

You youngsters and your fancy modern photographs... the City of Toronto Archive goes even further back for that general area, to a sketch of Doel's Homestead and Brewery, in 1827:
f1231_it0060.jpg

True, but photos do show you the passage of time, even for charming homesteads:

bayadelaide1910.jpg

Last edited:
Another view of the Simpson's block, showing that short-lived Gothic building at Bay and Richmond:

aerialcityhall.jpg

Last edited:

Back