News   Jul 19, 2024
 347     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 628     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

"i didn't know that the Simpson's store initially only went halfway down the block to Richmond..." QUOTE. thedeepend.

My question is: Does HUDSON'S BAY STORE continue to pay the church rent for this site?

Regards,
J T

63359630.gif

i didn't know that the Simpson's store initially only went halfway down the block to Richmond...

bc94a5c6.gif

I admire the Simpson's store's south facade, with its subtle relief of arches and pilasters. Such walls are typically so unconsidered despite often being highly visible. It's little touches like these which lent pre-war streetscapes such grace and charm. Now we just slap up gigantic billboards and other schlock.

Another view of Simpsons - as it expanded to the south in 1908.

1908simpsonsconstructio.jpg

And the early store of George Burton in Green River (now Pickering) - 1882
A son, Charles L. Burton joined Simpsons in 1912 and became President in 1929.

BurtonStore-GreenRiver1882.jpg

1898: You can the clock tower of City Hall still under construction in this shot. It was completed the following year. Just a little southwest of there you can see the Temple Building. I believe that the tower visible to the south east belongs to the Confederation Life building. You can see the roof of the Armory Building on University Ave; i assume that building directly to the south is Union Station...

59822f97.gif

That's a tremendous one-hundred-twelve-year-old view of our city!
I was, at first, startled by the vast space between the Armoury and City Hall - now Nathan Phillips Square.
But in reality, it is a vast tract.

A few more pics of the Simpson's block, particularly the NE corner of Bay & Richmond:

1911: buildings probably dating back to the mid 19thC:

bayrichmond1911a.jpg

bayrichmond1911.jpg

In the 20's an exquisite little Gothic Revival building emerges (one of my all-time favourite pics of Toronto):

bayrichmond1924.jpg

bayrichmond1927.jpg

Until it is replaced by the present building, part of the Simpson's complex in 1928 (showing it under construction):

bayrichmond1928.jpg

1930:

bayrichmond1930.jpg

Last edited:

Back