News   Jul 19, 2024
 346     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 628     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

And we know that it is definitely not after 1914, the date of construction of 36 Toronto Street (on the SW corner of Toronto and Adelaide).

^ good eye! it is indeed an automobile--and definitely later than 1902. based on that i'd say that most likely the photo dates from the Coronation of George in June of 1911.

There is a bust just above the main door (in middle of the decorations). If you zoom it up it looks quite like George V so ... Oh, I see that this has already been suggested, ah well.

Last edited:
de6540f6.gif

Amazing find!

Here's another view of that "great looking building" at the top of Toronto St. (circa 1890).

TorontoStc1890.jpg

I wonder if the colours are accurate in this postcard...what a great colour for the roof!

444px-Post_Office_on_Adelaide-1-1.jpg

Post_Office_Adelaide_Street_Toronto_Canada-1.jpg

Last edited:
Would this style be considered Second Empire, or is there an anglo/n.american equivalent?

Another couple of pics, soon after it was built (1874):

T_31183.jpg
And in 1955:
S_1-2327.jpg

besides being dirty, it looks like it was in excellent condition right up until the end, its virtually intact. it would be widely accepted as a complete treasure now, had it survived. very sad....

Would this style be considered Second Empire, or is there an anglo/n.american equivalent?

I've heard it referred to Second Empire in a North American context and it was a style that was pervasive in both commercial, institutional and residential architecture between about 1865 and the 1880's. New York was not immune to its charms in their own Post Office (now demolished) on Broadway:

GON022-A01-2.jpg

GON022D-1.jpg

Last edited:
View of St. James along Court Street:

00769010.jpg

Down the street at Wellington & Church (1868):

Bank_of_Toronto_1868.jpg

And a block over to Toronto Street:

v3049-a-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Back