News   Jul 19, 2024
 369     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 650     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

The dilemma with the Yonge Parkade is that it was not an" integrated work of architecture". It didn't really integrate with the Eaton store further north, (and certainly not with the Galleria interior) nor with the existing buildings to the south or across the street. It seemed like a separate building, and certainly a second-rate suburban building at that. The facade was an attempt by Zeidler to "decorate the shed" (so to speak) by masking the garage with a repetitive series of metal frames that were intended to support third-party Yonge Street signage (a la Sam's and A&A's) that would animate the frontage. This signage never arrived (and in fact Dundas Square is the descendant of this concept). Exit stairs were designed to create some interest (like at McMaster), but were too weak a gesture to create any sense of rhythm. Having almost no retail at the base, a large amount of blank exit doors and a set-back (mandated by Metro Roads), the entire block became a black hole that sucked the life out of both sides of the street.

Like in so many cases in the city, the issue is not one of historic preservation vs. modern architecture, but of good vs. banal design. In the case of the Yonge Parkade, we did not get (to put it generously) Zeidler's best. As an aside, adma, I do agree with you about the loss of the Yonge/Dundas glass house element, one that was both playful and urbane. That "floating" Italian restaurant that once existed within the space was also quite lovely.

1980:
yonge1980s.jpg

Yet, funny thing is--even as an urban "black hole" without the intended signage, I just can't call what I see in that photo "unintegrated" in and of itself, even if it's a little too discrete relative to its neighbours. Even the piggybacked garage registers more as a coherent part of the overall architectural statement than as an eyesore function awkwardly camoflauged--look: 60s/70s-style avant-garde megastructural futurism dug that stuff. With that in mind, it doesn't look particularly second-rate or suburban to me, and IIRC it's the porcelain-panelled Eaton store which tended to get more of the "second-rate suburban" pans back in the day. In fact, in these here "Save Ontario Place" days, I can see the taste ledger once again tipping on behalf of the former high-tech Eaton Centre elevation in lieu of the present pallid false-fronts, which one who's overfamiliarized with many a present-day power centre or suburban-mall-makeover might argue have ironically more so-called second-rate suburbanity to them.

At worst, it's a heroic failure like Frank Gehry's roughly contemporary Santa Monica Place.

At worst, it's a heroic failure like Frank Gehry's roughly contemporary Santa Monica Place.

I think we can find common ground there! I've learned over the years, that it's not always the architects' fault when it comes to compromised designs. If CF had handed Zeidler a programme that required two-storey, double height retail on Yonge (minimum 5M ground floor), built out to the lot line and designed to attract tenants that could accomodate entrances both on the Galleria and on Yonge (like Indigo, a few years later up at Manulife), the high-tech look would have been absolutely fine. With lots of glass and beautiful detailing, and a vertical rhythm created by the metalwork, stair-towers and signage, it would have been wonderful. Unfortunately, the Yonge Street retail was not a priority at the time.

Though there are obvious differences, there is something about the original Arcadian Room that reminds me of the Dining Room in Adler & Sullivan's Auditorium Hotel in Chicago (completed in 1890). With a lighter touch in subsequent renovations the Arcadian Room could have been one of Toronto's great interior spaces. Perhaps with the ascendancy of the Bay in the world of high fashion (according to the new "Toronto Life"), Yabu Pushelberg could have a go at it?

The Auditorium Hotel Dining Room Chicago:

auditoriumhotel.jpg

Though there are obvious differences, there is something about the original Arcadian Room that reminds me of the Dining Room in Adler & Sullivan's Auditorium Hotel in Chicago (completed in 1890). With a lighter touch in subsequent renovations the Arcadian Room could have been one of Toronto's great interior spaces. Perhaps with the ascendancy of the Bay in the world of high fashion (according to the new "Toronto Life"), Yabu Pushelberg could have a go at it?

The Auditorium Hotel Dining Room Chicago:

auditoriumhotel.jpg

wow, that's beautiful...i see the building is still there, i wonder what kind of shape this dining hall is in?

As for Arcadian Court:

“The restaurant has been renovated several times: once in the early fifties, then in 1968-1969, when the mezzanine was re-named the Men's Grill, and again in the late 1980s, when it was "restored to its original Art Deco grandeur."”

Its hilarious that they refer to what’s there now as a restoration, as it bears absolutely no relation whatever to the original room.

I suppose all of the interior detailing was stripped out when it was renovated in the 1960’s. Its amazing how, in their efforts to ‘restore’ it, they’ve been able to take one of the most beautiful rooms in the city and transform it into something that closely resembles a banquet hall in Vaughan.

In any case. AC is definitely overdue for a redo! I wonder if the owners have any plans to undertake it? They’re spending serious money on the store and I think Yabu Pushelberg have done a fantastic job thus far….

aa75bd45.jpg
9cff6679.jpg

Boy, that's a schmaltzy, fussed-over mess. Say what you will about its 60s reno, but at least it was aesthetically coherent...
arcadian2.jpg

(Ah, "Men's Grill". How Don Draper can you get)

Though one could imagine the possibility of "Breakfast at Birks" with the old Yonge Street store, somehow the image doesn't quite work at its current incarnation at Bay & Bloor.....

birks.jpg

3096112795_18964b03a0_o-1.jpg

Last edited:
Deepend: What an amazing find! What's the source and what do you think the old beauty was dressed up for (perhaps the Diamond Jubilee of 1897)?

Deepend: What an amazing find! What's the source and what do you think the old beauty was dressed up for (perhaps the Diamond Jubilee of 1897)?

this was actually scanned from an original photograph i found at the Reference Library, which is why there is such extraordinary detail in the image. the online resolution doesn't do it justice! there is no caption or inscription on the photo so its a bit of a mystery when it was taken. i'm not sure its from the Diamond Jubilee--the absence of the Union Jack and any representation of Victoria seems significant.

actually, the relatively somber and austere bunting leads me to believe that the photo might be from Edward's delayed coronation in 1902. as well, you can see a bust above the entrance which is possibly of him, although it kind of looks more like George---which would place the image in 1911....

c46d0820.png

^ good eye! it is indeed an automobile--and definitely later than 1902. based on that i'd say that most likely the photo dates from the Coronation of George in June of 1911.

Back