News   Jul 08, 2024
 199     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 719     3 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 496     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

St. Lawrence Market Gallery Display of Photography

Harry Joy, an amazing photojournalist, street-photographer and film maker, now approaching his 98th birthday, will have a display of his photography at the St. Lawrence Market Gallery (second floor) from January 24, 2015 until May 9, 2015.
Harry's work is featured along with the photography of Doug Hemmy and Andy Brooks.

TorontoObservedPoster_zpsc9b8c5db.jpg

IT's too bad that The Market Gallery isn't open on Sunday so that those who attend The St Lawrence Antique Market could avail themselves.

Also, to take note of, is that The North Market, featuring farmers on Saturday and the above antiques on Sunday, will be repairing one block

South - facing The Esplanade, the latter part of March. The also to be mentioned, is that no venting for a kitchen restaurant, therefor no cooking.

Burger King n/w Front & George or McDonalds, opposite. (Ma & Co, you will be missed!)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Photo caption: "Beattie Parkdale in front of King Edward Hotel 1902"

Who was Beattie Parkdale?

BeattieParkdaleatKingEdwardHotel1902_zps549b8309.jpg

Semi-muddy York. Not a bare-headed one among them, except the man in the doorway and he likely works there.

wood working factory, Bay St., S-W corner Temperance - decorated for returning troops, South African War 1900

woodworkingfactoryBayStS-WcornerTemperance-decoratedforreturningtroopsSouthAfricanWar1900_zpsb5b74da1.jpg

I'd guess that Beattie is referring to the car, and not the occupants. Perhaps residents of Parkdale? I can't find any reference to a last name Parkdale in the Toronto Blue Book from 1902.

The "Registry of Deeds and Land Titles" building was a prominent landmark before demolition for the New City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square.

Registry01_zpsc8d94bb0.jpg

Registry1_zpsa85ad7ca.jpg

Registry2_zps853d2d29.jpg

Registry3_zps593b2cfa.jpg

Registry4_zps8b2f5aa1.jpg

Registry5_zps57a1c6d0.jpg

I'd guess that Beattie is referring to the car, and not the occupants. Perhaps residents of Parkdale? I can't find any reference to a last name Parkdale in the Toronto Blue Book from 1902.

I'm not sure there was a car named Beattie during that period. Perhaps a Mr & Mrs Beattie of Parkdale? But why were they important enough to be photographed there? Or was it just the novelty of their arrival by car?

BeattieParkdaleatKingEdwardHotel1902_zps549b8309.jpg

I was certainly puzzled by that caption, however I really enjoyed studying all those characters in the crowd.
I guess the sight and sound of an automobile in 1902 was enough to draw an audience.

Back