This, from about 1930, is a very effective shot. King and Yonge
intersection king yonge.jpg

Attachments

• intersection king yonge.jpg
    intersection king yonge.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
William James as a rooftopper! Awesome.

I guess that's the CPR building during its refacing from terracotta to the current limestone? Does anyone know why this was done - a maintenance issue, or just fashion?

f1568_it0351.jpg

" that's the CPR building during its refacing from terracotta to the current limestone? Does anyone know why this was done - a maintenance issue, or just fashion?"
QUOTE; k10ery.

According to TERRA COTTA ARTFUL DECEIVERS -
1990 Architectural Conservatory of Ontario Inc:

"Although no longer the Empire's tallest, the Canadian Pacific building was still among Toronto's most prestigious in 1929
when the CPR officials decided that the terra cotta façade had to go. It's not altogether clear why. Perhaps they felt that
the new face would give the building a more up-to-date look at a time when terra cotta was beginning to fall from favour.
The December 3, 1930 issue of Contact Record and Engineering Review attributed the move to a deterioration in the
terra cotta, which, it said had been "affected by weathering"."

(The above "weathering" seems unlikely, seeing that just across the street the Dominion Bank, as others buildings,
did not suffer that fate.)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
" that's the CPR building during its refacing from terracotta to the current limestone? Does anyone know why this was done - a maintenance issue, or just fashion?"
QUOTE; k10ery.

"Although no longer the Empire's tallest, the Canadian Pacific building was still among Toronto's most prestigious in 1929
when the CPR officials decided that the terra cotta façade had to go. It's not altogether clear why. Perhaps they felt that
the new face would give the building a more up-to-date look at a time when terra cotta was beginning to fall from favour.
The December 3, 1930 issue of Contact Record and Engineering Review attributed the move to a deterioration in the

(The above "weathering" seems unlikely, seeing that just across the street the Dominion Bank, as others buildings,

Regards,
J T

Cool, thanks! But if the CPR was a terra cotta over a reinforced concrete frame, wasn't that a rarity in Toronto? The Dominion Bank is steel frame. Not sure how much that matters, mind you.

9394304360_a1148fc183_o.png

QUOTE; k10ery.

Regards,
J T

The Dominion Bank building across the street (now 1 King West hotel) has a fair bit of maintenance coming up to its terra cotta facade as a result of deterioration; then again, it's been over 80 years since the CPR building replaced theirs, so I guess that's not too surprising. I doubt there were many issues at the Dominion Bank building back in 1929.

" the CPR was a terra cotta over a reinforced concrete frame, wasn't that a rarity in Toronto? The Dominion Bank is steel frame "
QUOTE: k10ery.

I would think that steel construction would have a number of drawbacks not "offered" by concrete:

Greater thermal stress - expansion/contraction, resulting in parent terra cotta and/or mortar cracking.
Rust, witth it's growing in dimensions due to water infiltration.

Two more possible considerations:

Poor construction technique by contractor.
Change of senior management. (Chairman/CEO) - "I just don't like that cladding!"

Regards,
J T

Perhaps taken from the tower of Firehall Number 1 at Bay and Temperance. Except did it have a tower? It did in 1855, but not before demolition in 1924.

pictures-r-6759.jpg

f1266_it3310.jpg

Have you been able to find evidence that the Bay and Temperence firehall was constructed with a hose tower? I've done a lot of research on Toronto firehalls and have never seen a photograph of Bay & Temperence with a tower. The hall that was built in 1841 (to replace the ad hoc sheds put into use in 1839) seems to have survived in mostly its original form until it was decommissioned.

The painting in the post does not look like the Bay/Temperence one. Possibly one of the many that came and went around King/Church/Court etc. I'd have to dig deeper to match the one in the painting. Perhaps the photo of the Temple building was simply taken from the roof peak of the firehall.

Have you been able to find evidence that the Bay and Temperence firehall was constructed with a hose tower? I've done a lot of research on Toronto firehalls and have never seen a photograph of Bay & Temperence with a tower. The hall that was built in 1841 (to replace the ad hoc sheds put into use in 1839) seems to have survived in mostly its original form until it was decommissioned.

The painting in the post does not look like the Bay/Temperence one. Possibly one of the many that came and went around King/Church/Court etc. I'd have to dig deeper to match the one in the painting. Perhaps the photo of the Temple building was simply taken from the roof peak of the firehall.

Very interesting question! I better say I don't have any expertise on this, but here's what I know.

The bibliographic information for the picture is here. It's definitely Bay St. at Adelaide, since the churches are quite distinctive. It's definitely 1855 because Zion church burned in 1855, and the publisher of the print did not exist before 1854.

Is it an accurate depiction? The painter was Henry Martin. The only online biography I found says that he was mainly a Romantic landscape painter. In other words, his pictures may be no more accurate than Bartlett's!

Still, if you look at the two images there is a certain resemblance. It looks to me like I can see the three bays of the original building in the later photo, plus an extension that was built on the site of the Georgian house in the 1855 image. That would explain why the roof was completely rebuilt maybe. (Maybe you have to WANT to see the resemblance...)

Do you have other pictures of Firehall No 1 that you can share?

Wow... thanks for sharing that - gives a glimpse into the way we were. Not sure if this is an opinion piece or a news desk item. I feel so bad for the man whose life was likely ruined.

Wow... thanks for sharing that - gives a glimpse into the way we were. Not sure if this is an opinion piece or a news desk item. I feel so bad for the man whose life was likely ruined.

the early history of the gay subculture in Toronto is an amazing and dark story--and the role of the local tabloids is pretty disturbing...

Back