News   Jul 30, 2024
 479     1 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 427     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 542     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

What a great surprise to read the article and see those aerials. Thank you so much for the link!

You're right, the training part was on the north side, the breeding barns on the south. We used to watch the horses being taken around that track when we were supposed to be doing track and field. Here's a photo I took ca. 1963 with my Instamatic.

Windfield's Farm ca.jpg

Attachments

• Windfield's Farm ca.jpg
    Windfield's Farm ca.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
" I remember Joker's Hill only as a venue for other equestrian events (jumping, eventing)."
QUOTE: nostalgic.

I may have unintentionally used the word "interest" as meaning "financial interest", rather than "sparked interest (in)".

One very late evening after we having had a Full Day at "The Hill", Murray and his wife appeared poolside and apologised as to their

wanting to retire for the evening, but that we were more than welcome to continue carrying-on, carrying-on. Their "message" was duly

received by the group, followed by applause for he and his wife. The ending of a fine day by a equally fine Host and Hostess.

Regards,
J T

What a lovely memory.

Newsie 1940s - on Bay?
photo by Ronny Jaques

Archives Canada

When vinyl was king - 1980s

Archives Canada

I've been trying to remember all the stores in that plaza... I don't remember a Maynards. From east to west I recall the Royal Bank, Koffler's Drug Store, was the hardware next? Hunts, something, a women's clothing store, and something in the corner (dry cleaner?). My first bank account was at the Royal Bank (opening balance $8), Koffler's was our drugstore (Murray Koffler delivered the horrible "chocolate" flavoured medicine when I had scarlet fever and the house was quarantined), my father shopped at the hardware, or Dempsey's (which was probably closer as he had to drive all the way around St. Andrews Golf Course to get to the plaza), and my mother shopped at Hunts (because we thought it was more exotic than home baking). She was loyal to Loblaws so didn't step foot in Dominion for decades.

Also the "York Miller" variety store, the barber shop beside the dry cleaners in the back (the barber I think served in the German Navy as he had all sorts of "Bismark" photos throughout his shop). Permanent Trust also opened a branch on the backside in the late 70's... I believe the gas station was "Marshall's Gulf" (they sponsored hockey teams at YMHC for many, many years...).

Last edited:
A&A'd be 1984, judging from the Broooce in the window. (Was there some "event", judging from the crowds?)

IODE Rose Ball, King Edward Hotel, Toronto, Feb 28, 1911 (from the British Library via Wikimedia Commons):

Three and half years later, most of the men in the photo would depart for France (most would not come back).....

IODE: The Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire (http://www.iode.ca/)

Last edited:
Who are these people, where are they rushing off to? We will never know! King and Yonge
yonge at king 1912.jpg

Attachments

• yonge at king 1912.jpg
    yonge at king 1912.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 662
Last edited:

Back