News   May 08, 2024
 557     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 838     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

The other lesser known arcade, Manning Arcade, 24 King St West, June 1955

A contribution from J T Cunningham regarding the Manning Arcade.

He writes: "THE HAT CONTAINED WITHIN THE CONTAINER ON TO WHICH THIS LABEL WAS PASTED WAS FOR MY FIRST BLACK HOMBURG HAT, 1969."

"A contribution from J T Cunningham regarding the Manning Arcade."
QUOTE: Prof Goldie.

Thank you Professor!

Although I no longer have the "Hat-in-the-box", I have retained The Box.

Whilst "engaged in Daily Employment" a number of years removed, I happened to befriend a Gentleman who drove "The Terror of Toronto"

aka a Mad Vac. (Powered street vacuum.) After a number of days greeting each other and casual conversation, I enquired of him his past

employment, as he did seem "above his present position". After his mention of Yonge & St Clair/ELY Limited, I spoke of my own employment

and living arrangements within the same area during the same time-frame. His immediate question to me was "Do you remember Jack Cunningham?"

to which I responded with my calling card; he being taken aback. After he and I parted company, I thought something amiss (Gut feeling) and

returned next day with a pic of the above shown box on my BB. He was incredulous that I had this article and enquired just as to how I had

obtained both the card and the hat box. It was then that I told him that I was he!

Then The Bomb Shell:

His reply - "I was the one who sold you that hat 40 years ago!"

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
...Arcade Building...first days

BookReaderImages.php

Full publication available at:

http://archive.org/details/cihm_00820

A dour-looking bunch. I see only two smiles.
Henry George's philosophy must have been hard to take.

That blonde, smiling woman (in white) seated in the centre looks as though she may have stepped out of a time-machine. She appears younger than most others and dresses in 21st century style.

Is it correct to assume that none of these buildings remain today?

I believe it is. The last remaining 19C building on King between Yonge and Simcoe was the Michie store demolished for 1 King West.

At left:

f1244_it7100.jpg

Attachments

• f1244_it7100.jpg
    f1244_it7100.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 572
"Telegram Building (1900-1963) interior, 1904 or 1905."
QUOTE: thedeepend.

Just an observation:

The pic was taken during the spring/summer months, the reason being the "bug covers" enveloped the lighting fixtures

preventing the addition of dead bug bodies from collecting and while not only looking unsightly, also diminished the

available light. This would only apply to the hanging fixtures as the others would "collect" at the bases and remain clean

as they would be unseen. Do remember that 25 Cycle was the "Power of the Day", rather than the 60 Cycle we enjoy now.

Regards,
J T

Back