2.1K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4K     4 

Encana Towers, Calgary

B

buildup

Do we have any rendering of this complex, and the proposed heights?

Its relevant considering Calgary is putting up bigger office towers downtown then Toronto, and Toronto is over four times the size of Calgary.

Encana is going to be a huge complexe on par with FCP in terms of sq footage.

^Yawn

Rumours peg it as 2 million square feet which is no where near the size of FCP (about the size of the Cadillac Fairview complex set to start soon on Wellington Street)

None of the commercial office projects currently under construction or expected to start soon in Calgary make up half the size or height of Bay Adelaide or the RBC Centre

Honestly, Mike, where do you get your information from? It won't be even close to FCP's 10 million square feet, and in case you've forgotten, we have the upcoming BA complex which should be larger than Encana as well. As has been said many times before, the sky is not falling.

First Canadian Place is 2.7 million square feet (unless Wikipedia is wrong). I don't know if this includes PATH, etc. Encana is the same size as Scotia Plaza. RBC will be 1.2 million and while B/A is about 2.5 million, the residential/hotel components take up a significant chunk of that (unless the plan's been changed).

^ You're right, it's 2.7 million sq ft... maybe I was thinking WTC. Regardless, it and BA Centre are larger than the Encana complex and even expanding at its current rate, it would take Calgary decades to catch up to Toronto in terms of downtown office space. (32 million sq ft vs. 77 million sq ft)

Ooooooh, Foster & Partners are the architects. That almost guarantees a great looking building.

I shall follow with interest ;)

^ As much as I like Foster, I don't think his involvement on any project automatically guarantees a great building. Just look at the posts on the U of T Pharmacy Building.

There are no renderings or height, everything is speculation. I think Encana may have stated 60-70 stories though.
I think the only sure thing is the location of the building. There will also be public space, they're really trying to make this a sugnature tower.
Renderings and all that stuff come out in June.

"Actually, according to the Final Report, p. 8:
www.toronto.ca/legdocs/20.../it006.pdf
The aggregate floor space would be 240,396 square metres (2,587,598 square feet)."

Actually, if you're going to include the square footage of the condos, I'm going to say CityPlace is the largest office development under construction right now because each building has a small manager's office. The actual office component of B/A might be 1.5 million square feet - one of the three towers is purely hotel/residential.

I don't know what the Encana building(s?) is replacing, but if they're redeveloping smaller buildings as opposed to parking lots or some other site, I wouldn't be surprised if the displaced tenants need to also move into a new office building since the vacancy rates are so low.

All it needs to be is not a box and it'll be taller. It pisses me off as well, but hey one tall tower will not make Calgary any closer to being a better city then Toronto. Calgary is in the midst of a boom right now, but it's not going to last much longer. They have an economy based primarily on one thing. Once all the companies are set up and all the jobs are filled Calgary is going to enter a very long era of stagnant growth. Toronto on the other hand has reached a point where growth is going to continue to happen no matter what. We have a much more diversified economy, possibly one of the highest amounts of foreign immigration on the planet and a shortage of space. Our super talls will come, possibly during, but guaranteed long after Calgary has reached the crest of the wave it's currently riding.

I Have to agree with Whistler, thats a very good post. A lot of people on different boards have been whining and worrying about Calgary "POSSIBLY" getting Canada's tallest. It isn't such a big deal and will do absolutely nothing to reduce Toronto's status as the number 1 city in Canada.

Back