Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

I get nervous every time I drive in and out of that ramp. This is why a majority of the time, I use the garage doors on the George Henry Street side to drive in and out.

Shhh... don't give away that secret!
But seriously though, the main ramp is so steep and I find people coming into the garage just fly down it. It's going to cause an accident sometime soon. Also, have you noticed how often the garage door bottom is damaged? Seems like people don't bother waiting for the door to fully open before driving in.

The George Henry St. side is so much better!

Oh, and my washing machine has been working for me since Sunday.

Hi enigma0t,

I wouldnt suggest getting your own keys elsewhere. I tried that and the keys didnt work. They use a special key that costs more at the key cutting places anyway. I went to three places and the keys didnt work. I ended up going back to the concierge to have them cut at $10 each.

I tried to get an extra access card/fob too, and they wouldn't give it to me because they want to restrict access to only residents.

Hi Angela,

I was able to find a place that successfully created a copy of the key and it worked on my door (http://www.yelp.ca/biz/locksmiths-and-safeman-toronto). They charged me just a bit over $7 for each key. According to the locksmith, the issue is that, our keys are "S145" type keys and not a lot of locksmiths carry blanks for that type of key. But this particular shop did, and said that they guarantee the key will work or will fix the issue at no cost.

But seriously though, the main ramp is so steep and I find people coming into the garage just fly down it. It's going to cause an accident sometime soon. Also, have you noticed how often the garage door bottom is damaged? Seems like people don't bother waiting for the door to fully open before driving in.

I feel like, what that ramp needs are, 1) another set of mirrors at the entrance for both ways to see oncoming traffic, 2) signage or speedbumps to encourage people to slow down either entering or exiting, and 3) divider lines on the ground to separate incoming and outgoing traffic, as well as to divide the route more explicitly for visitors and residents.

Would these solve all the problems? No. But I think it would help reduce the likelihood of accidents.

Thanks Enigma0t,
That's good to know you found it. I tried many places and I had a bad experience at this place called Moneysworth in Downtown. They said they would guarantee it but didn't actually want to refund my money since they cut me two keys. They had a special blank key, but it just didn't work on my door no matter how I wiggled the key.

Hi Alvin,

Does your fob open the doors at the George Henry Street entrance?

So I just read the letter from Property Management. Apparently this is the same issue that caused floods in December 2013. SO why in the check hell did we not do anything to prevent this. It took a 2nd flood with everyone already moved into before real action took place? This makes me so angry.

I just read the letter as well. It said that "your condo's insurance" will need to approve the repairs etc. etc...
What does that mean? Our corporation is claiming our own insurance? Does this mean our insurance rate (and maintenance fees) next year will increase because of all these claims we (coporation) has made so far? Shouldn't the damages be paid out by the developer or covered by Tarion? Argh!

So I just read the letter from Property Management. Apparently this is the same issue that caused floods in December 2013. SO why in the check hell did we not do anything to prevent this. It took a 2nd flood with everyone already moved into before real action took place? This makes me so angry.

Could you scan the letter and post? I'm interested to see what it has to say.

Hi Angela,

I was able to find a place that successfully created a copy of the key and it worked on my door (http://www.yelp.ca/biz/locksmiths-and-safeman-toronto). They charged me just a bit over $7 for each key. According to the locksmith, the issue is that, our keys are "S145" type keys and not a lot of locksmiths carry blanks for that type of key. But this particular shop did, and said that they guarantee the key will work or will fix the issue at no cost.

They are downtown aren't they. Is it really worth it to take a chance and find it does not work when you can get it cut right in our buildings without having to go anywhere ?

I think you have stated what the issue really is. While the ramp is not ideal, its the drivers that will cause the accidents not the ramp. The door is getting damaged because people are too impatient to either wait for it to open fully, or try to beat it when it starts to come down. It unfortunate because these repair costs will eventually be passed onto owners.

They are downtown aren't they. Is it really worth it to take a chance and find it does not work when you can get it cut right in our buildings without having to go anywhere ?

It is downtown. But since I work downtown, it's not a big deal for me to go there. Anyways, according to property management, the official locksmith only comes by on Thursdays and would have a one week turnaround time. The cutting of the key isn't actually done in our building. It's the collecting of, payment for and delivery of the key that's done in our building. And further, she said that the locksmith would come by if there's a decent amount of people wanting to make key copies (ie: he's not just going to come by to do just a single key).

I personally just didn't feel like waiting, and it was cheaper (albeit by only a couple of dollars) at this place and it was convenient for me. There's certainly nothing wrong with going with the official locksmith either.

It is downtown. But since I work downtown, it's not a big deal for me to go there. Anyways, according to property management, the official locksmith only comes by on Thursdays and would have a one week turnaround time. The cutting of the key isn't actually done in our building. It's the collecting of, payment for and delivery of the key that's done in our building. And further, she said that the locksmith would come by if there's a decent amount of people wanting to make key copies (ie: he's not just going to come by to do just a single key).

I personally just didn't feel like waiting, and it was cheaper (albeit by only a couple of dollars) at this place and it was convenient for me. There's certainly nothing wrong with going with the official locksmith either.

Makes sense, I would have done the same thing under those circumstances . I was lucky because I dropped mine off at property management office on Wednesday and they were ready on Friday

I feel like, what that ramp needs are, 1) another set of mirrors at the entrance for both ways to see oncoming traffic, 2) signage or speedbumps to encourage people to slow down either entering or exiting, and 3) divider lines on the ground to separate incoming and outgoing traffic, as well as to divide the route more explicitly for visitors and residents.

Would these solve all the problems? No. But I think it would help reduce the likelihood of accidents.

Some good suggestions but the risks remain. The ramp is very unconventional with 2 lanes down and 1 up. The physical width does not suggest that to drivers especially visitors. Speed bump slowing down egress too much will be at risk of sliding. The biggest danger is a unseen pedestrian walking down to Forest Manor meeting speeding egress because of steep ramp. I tried the new side entrance today. It goes directly to P2. This will be my main entrance from now on!

I also read the letter from property management on the 2 previous floods on 4th floor. Last Friday was flood number 3. I will give them credit for disclosure. I hate to be right about lurking defects in common area and need for audit. The property management and condo board need to pursue the builder rigorously. If not, the repair costs will lead to higher condo fees. Owners wanting to protect your investments may want to consider "occupy emerald show room" as a last resort :) does anyone smell a lawsuit?

I was very pissed at property management this evening. An elevator was booked for a move from 7-9pm. I called the security demanding the move be suspended because of overcrowding and extreme long wait in the underground level. One gentleman was there for 30 minutes. On p2, there is no ventilation in the waiting area. CO2 poisoning in underground parking is a real risk.

Last edited:

Back