News   May 13, 2024
 574     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 909     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.5K     3 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

If Eg East LRT is going to be built on Sheppard ending at Line 2's Sheppard-McCowan station, then why are people wanting to have Sheppard subway a station on McCowan instead of STC? The argument in favour of keeping subway on Sheppard was to be able to extend it beyond McCowan in future. If we are building LRT on that road, STC should be logical terminal point for Sheppard subway.

If Eg East LRT is going to be built on Sheppard ending at Line 2's Sheppard-McCowan station, then why are people wanting to have Sheppard subway a station on McCowan instead of STC? The argument in favour of keeping subway on Sheppard was to be able to extend it beyond McCowan in future. If we are building LRT on that road, STC should be logical terminal point for Sheppard subway.
I mean you could make the alternative argument that having the Eglinton LRT terminate at Sheppard-McCowan would turn the station into a transit hub of its own with having the 3 lines connecting there.

1) LRTs are designed to last 30 years, meaning that in the future there is nothing precluding from converting the LRT into a Subway (that's what we did with the Yonge and Bloor-Danforth Streetcars). The only red flag in this regard is when the LRT itself is heavily tunneled **cough cough Eglinton** because that would generally make it more challenging to build a conversion.

2) As @robmausser said, if anything the existance of the Eglinton East LRT at Sheppard-McCowan is more of a reason to terminate the Sheppard Line there, as it now forms a major transit hub. Imagine for instance if Line 4 was instead sent to STC, that means to keep travelling on Sheppard you would have to 1) Ride the Sheppard Line to Agincourt 2) Transfer to a bus that takes you to McCowan 3) Transfer again to the LRT. Alternatively you can take the subway to STC then transfer to Line 2 to get you to Sheppard-McCowan. Plus its a more convenient transfer for McCowan passengers travelling from the north.

transfers.
If I live near sheppard and Medovwale and I wanted to go to north york center for instance, I would have to take the sheppard bus, then the lrt, then line 2, then line 4. that's three transfers to stay on one road. Someone who might make this trip today, which would be one transfer from bus to subway, would surely consider buying a car rather than deal with this future inconvience.

I mean you could make the alternative argument that having the Eglinton LRT terminate at Sheppard-McCowan would turn the station into a transit hub of its own with having the 3 lines connecting there.
STC is better suited for a hub. Sheppard subway can be extended further east from STC.

1) LRTs are designed to last 30 years, meaning that in the future there is nothing precluding from converting the LRT into a Subway (that's what we did with the Yonge and Bloor-Danforth Streetcars). The only red flag in this regard is when the LRT itself is heavily tunneled **cough cough Eglinton** because that would generally make it more challenging to build a conversion.
I doubt that LRTs are supposed to last 30 years. Especially in today's era when they cost a lot more to build. 30 years later, construction could be so expensive that we may thank ourselves for at least building an LRT.
2) As @robmausser said, if anything the existance of the Eglinton East LRT at Sheppard-McCowan is more of a reason to terminate the Sheppard Line there, as it now forms a major transit hub. Imagine for instance if Line 4 was instead sent to STC, that means to keep travelling on Sheppard you would have to 1) Ride the Sheppard Line to Agincourt 2) Transfer to a bus that takes you to McCowan 3) Transfer again to the LRT. Alternatively you can take the subway to STC then transfer to Line 2 to get you to Sheppard-McCowan. Plus its a more convenient transfer for McCowan passengers travelling from the north.
transfers.
If I live near sheppard and Medovwale and I wanted to go to north york center for instance, I would have to take the sheppard bus, then the lrt, then line 2, then line 4. that's three transfers to stay on one road. Someone who might make this trip today, which would be one transfer from bus to subway, would surely consider buying a car rather than deal with this future inconvience.
If Sheppard subway dives south to reach STC, then we don't have to terminate Eg East LRT at McCowan. It can continue westward until it reaches the point where subways goes south. We won't need the transfers you are talking about.

If you're coming from the west then STC is likely your end destination, where a 1 stop transfer isn't a big deal. IF you're coming from anywhere east of McCowan, most of the trips will be going into North York, where multiple transfers defeats the purpose

If you're coming from the west then STC is likely your end destination, where a 1 stop transfer isn't a big deal. IF you're coming from anywhere east of McCowan, most of the trips will be going into North York, where multiple transfers defeats the purpose
I showed how it can be done with 1 transfer. Is there a scenario that will need multiple transfers?

There was one transfer earlier as well. Have the number of transfers gone up with the plan I suggested?
I don't believe there was. The trip would be the same whether the person transfers to Agincourt or McCowan.

The benefit of McCowan is a new station for the LRT, while with Agincourt the LRT would go under the bridge. to Agincourt GO.

Could just continue the Eg East extension to Agincourt.

I don't believe there was. The trip would be the same whether the person transfers to Agincourt or McCowan.

The benefit of McCowan is a new station for the LRT, while with Agincourt the LRT would go under the bridge. to Agincourt GO.
Can you give an example where a route now has more transfers because of my suggested plan. I am not able to follow what you wrote.

Can you give an example where a route now has more transfers because of my suggested plan. I am not able to follow what you wrote.

If I'm at Markham n Sheppard and I wanna go to Yonge n Sheppard, with the new EELRT built that takes me McCowan n Sheppard, then I transfer to the Sheppard line & go to Yonge n Sheppard.

With your iteration, I'm taking the EELRT to McCowan n Sheppard, transferring to take 1 stop south to STC, then transfer again back on the Sheppard line to head west to Yonge n Sheppard

EELRT - Sheppard Line
EELRT - SSE - Sheppard Line

Why do you guys wanna veer off of Sheppard for, just because STC is a destination?

Reactions: PL1

Back