News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 441     0 

Eglinton-Crosstown Corridor Debate

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
See, I suggested as much before. Instead of the DRL following Queen, King or CNR straight across before heading upwards; it could cut through the innercity via roughly Spadina, College and Dufferin on the western leg and Parliament, Gerrard and Pape on the eastern leg. This would leave space further south for a Queen West/Queensway - Wellington/Front East - Queen East subway. Of course I guess we're about 100 years too late to start making downtown Toronto have the level of urban subway coverage as London, Paris or NYC.

I don't think there's any point of a Queen subway at this point. I can't remember who, but someone always points out that its classified as a stable neighbourhood and if you can't intensify the development there, why build a subway there? I could see a King street subway, or a Dundas one.

so?...just because it's stable doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of trips generated along the route, I'm sure that most people shopping, going to the caffé or much music, don't live in the area, plus it would be close enough to the clubbing/entertainment district as well, not to mention the beaches in the east. most of bloor in the annex or danforth doesn't seem to be any denser than Queen.

First priority should be the DRL to relieve the Bloor-Yonge interchange. However I certainly can see Queen being converted to a local (vs the DRL's more express station spacing) subway line in the far future (30 yrs?)

Having a local DRL along Queen will not reduce crowding at Yonge-Bloor station by that much. The reason the DRL is a valid alternative for riders is because there are very few stations as opposed to the present numbers. Granted many people will use a local DRL as well but it will not bring as much relief as the present proposal.

I don't think that's what Woodridge Heights was proposing. I understood it to mean a regular DRL (through the rail corridor/Union) and Queen being a separate local subway. Although I could be misinterpreting it as what I'd like to see.

I don't think that's what Woodridge Heights was proposing. I understood it to mean a regular DRL (through the rail corridor/Union) and Queen being a separate local subway. Although I could be misinterpreting it as what I'd like to see.
That's what I thought too. I'd see the Queen streetcar subway revived to an extent, and then have most of the rest of the route LRT-ized.

That's what I thought too. I'd see the Queen streetcar subway revived to an extent, and then have most of the rest of the route LRT-ized.

I think that when the Queensway's streetcar right-of-way was built (after the Yonge HRT subway was built) in the late 1950's, it was to be in place for any extension of the Queen streetcar subway past Roncesvalles. As it turned out, it ended up orphaned, not directly connected to any subway or rapid transit. If the Queen streetcar subway was built, instead of the Bloor-Danforth HRT subway, the right-of-way and the streetcar (or LRT) subway would have been connected over the years. Today, the right-of-way could now end up as part the Lake Shore West LRT, if that ever happens.

I think that when the Queensway's streetcar right-of-way was built (after the Yonge HRT subway was built) in the late 1950's, it was to be in place for any extension of the Queen streetcar subway past Roncesvalles. As it turned out, it ended up orphaned, not directly connected to any subway or rapid transit. If the Queen streetcar subway was built, instead of the Bloor-Danforth HRT subway, the right-of-way and the streetcar (or LRT) subway would have been connected over the years. Today, the right-of-way could now end up as part the Lake Shore West LRT, if that ever happens.
I learned something new today :p Though I guess that does make sense, and while it's a shame that they ditched that idea, it's not still too late for such a thing to happen.
As useful as a Roncesvales-wherever subway would be, I'd probably put the subway part of Queen between around Queen West and the Don, with the other parts just being full LRT (I think those were the original-original subway plans. That'd probably cut on costs and anger over congestion in the core, where aboveground speeds would probably be the slowest. I guess it wouldn't be as useful as it could have before, because there aren't as many other streetcar routes to interact with (actually, there are basically none,) but it'd function well as an Eglinton-type LRT.

The obvious thing to do if ever to bolster the case for a true east-west subway south of Bloor, not just DRL, is whenever they're digging the tunnel bore for the DRL make it large enough such that it can accomodate a second set of tracks. These won't be service tracks for the initial DRL but actually rather preinstalled infrastructure for a Queen subway. Per this alignment conception the four innermost stations on both lines, say hypothetically: John/Wellington, Bay/Wellington, Church/Wellington and Sherbrourne/Front would be quad-tracked with two island platforms. The CBD Stn would also have two bay platforms connecting it to Union and King Stns. The eastbound tracks for both lines share the same platform area and vice-versa for the two westbound tracks. Beyond these points the DRL can wind its way through the innercity to connect to Bloor-Dufferin and Danforth-Pape (I choose Dufferin over Dundas West because its a busier interchange and denser area), while the Queen Street subway continues west along Wellington St to have stops at Cityplace, Fort York (Tecumseth, just west of Bathurst) and Strachan (King West Village) before entering the Weston-Galt. This leaves the stable neighbourhood of Queen West BIA unaffected by subway construction (expect for Queen/Peter where the DRL would channel through northwards) but the shortened 501 route length would make headways shorter, thus commutes faster.

However because this is an east-west Queen Line it turns west at Queen and Dufferin, with a stop prior at King/Atlantic. This is the stop for Liberty Villege and the CNE with underground streetcars extending from Exhibition Loop to terminate at this subway station. From Dufferin it runs west through Parkdale then elevated down the median of the Queensway (the existing streetcar ROW now housing the support columns for the guideway). After meeting a relocated Mimico GO Stn at Humber Loop the line terminates at Humber Bay Park one level up from a fare-paid streetcar loop west into southern Etobicoke. On the eastern front, the Queen Line cuts through King/Sumach (West Don Lands) before turning up and across Queen East to the Beaches. At Beech Avenue, a few blocks west of Neville Park Loop, the line veers northeastwards to terminate at Kingston Road and Victoria Park. Here it'd intercept the Kingston BRT which extends directly to Scarborough Town Ctr via UTSC and Centennial College.

... is whenever they're digging the tunnel bore for the DRL make it large enough such that it can accomodate a second set of tracks.
It's cheaper to bore two separate tunnels than one now. If they wanted 4 tracks they'd want to bore 4 tunnels. Though at that point, if you really want 4 tracks, you want to use cut-and-cover.

Boring would be horrendously expensive. If New York City isn't building their new north-south subway with 4 tracks, why should we?

I don't think there's any point of a Queen subway at this point. I can't remember who, but someone always points out that its classified as a stable neighbourhood and if you can't intensify the development there, why build a subway there? I could see a King street subway, or a Dundas one.
A neighbourhood being stable doesn't make it unworthy of a subway line if the demand is there - redevelopment isn't necessary. Cities all over the world build subways through stable neighbourhoods. Rome is building a new line right through the middle of its historic core. It doesn't get much more stable than that.

A neighbourhood being stable doesn't make it unworthy of a subway line if the demand is there - redevelopment isn't necessary. Cities all over the world build subways through stable neighbourhoods. Rome is building a new line right through the middle of its historic core. It doesn't get much more stable than that.

When it comes to the DRL though, a route closer to the rail corridor, emphasizing service to the West Donlands and St. Lawrence areas opens up areas for development, still provides service to the Queen/King areas, is probably cheaper to build and integrates with GO much better than a route farther north.

It's cheaper to bore two separate tunnels than one now. If they wanted 4 tracks they'd want to bore 4 tunnels. Though at that point, if you really want 4 tracks, you want to use cut-and-cover.

Boring would be horrendously expensive. If New York City isn't building their new north-south subway with 4 tracks, why should we?
Because most of their subways are already 4 tracks, meaning they have enough infrastructure to handle peak-hour diversion. Toronto has no such capacity.

Back