News   Jul 29, 2024
 652     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 337     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 627     0 

Eglinton-Crosstown Corridor Debate

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
I spoke to a person at the TTC and he said that it still hasn't been determined if they would actually eliminate the operator position if they automated the trains. I suspect that when the time comes the TTC will cave and retain them all.
I doubt very much if they'd eliminate the operator position; In Montreal they only eliminated the guard when they automated in the 1970s (well, it took another decade before the union accepted that ... after a couple of 4-week transit strikes), not the operator. It was felt that for safety reasons, having an operator on each vehicle in case of emergency was prudent. It also allows the system to keep operating when the ATC system fails (though it's a pretty rough ride).

And of course to hit the brakes, when someone is on the tracks.

@ niftz, most the unionized TTC workers are getting paid extravagantly for jobs that require a 5th grade education and, most of the time, they don't even do a good job at.
I've seen many fare collectors that were, to be frank, totally rude and quite inattentive at their job. There have been a number of times that fare collectors that have given me such grossly wrong change that I can only assume they are terrible at math or were trying to swindle me for money.
Many TTC drivers are unfriendly and gruff, and many are quite careless at their job. This in general causes disruptions to the system, and bad customer service.
Those people certainly don't deserve the wage they're getting, I don't think they even deserve $20 an hour.

But this is off topic, I agree. However, your ignorant and insulting comments are not appreciated at all.

@ CodeMonkey and your suspicions, I might agree, but the LRTs will be replacing many more busses than there will be new LRTs. This alone will put a lot of drivers out of a job. I think it's the Transit City bus plan that could possibly give drivers a new job in light of these new services.

But isn't it a bit much to gamble $12 billion on the hope that it will somehow be different and better? The TTC built what it claimed was the Transit City pilot project on St. Clair and it's not different or better. How many more are we going to have to build before they accept that maybe their way isn't the best way?

No city in the world is building the kind of long-distance centre median "light rail" that we're building as part of Transit City. None. There's plenty of long-distance light rail that's being built, but it's all either in a separate off-road right-of-way or, when it is in the middle of the street, equipped with very advanced signal priority with arms that come down and block turning or other traffic. We talk about "Euro-style" light rail as if Transit City is anything like something you'd see in a European city. I lived in Berlin and periodically rode the streetcars there. They're in their own right of way and similar in at least some ways to the Transit City lines. The difference? The total line length never exceeds about six kilometres. It doesn't matter if your service is slow when you're only riding ten blocks. When you're riding from Humber College to Yonge, stopping at every light and at every block is not what anyone would call rapid transit and it's $12 billion to provide a service that is frankly little better than the existing bus routes.

That's not to say that there isn't a place for light rail--there is. Even some of the Transit City routes make some sense. But the best use for light rail is as a local urban or feeder service. We're never going to replicate the streetcar suburbs of the 1920s on the full length of Morningside or Finch. It's just not going to magically happen because there's a streetcar in the middle of the road. On the other hand, we could start feeding into subway and regional rail stations with quick, short light rail routes in neighbourhoods around the city. Then build neighbourhood nodes around them. I like light rail. I like streetcars. I just like it when we use them where they work.

Bang on. That's exactly how I feel about Transit City. And I had the same thoughts while I was travelling around in Munich and Vienna a few weeks ago.

The costs to build the YUS extensions are hyper-inflated and ergo make for an unfair comparison as to what can be accomplished along Eglinton. What part of the Eglinton subway alignment has to tunnel beneath a riverbed or highway system or require a new storage facility or mass 27-bay underground bus terminal or be exclusively in a tunnel bore?

Eglinton - Airport subway would have to cross: Hwy 427, Hwy401, Humber River, Black Creek in the west; Don West, Hwy 404, Don East in the east.

Spadina extension has to cross only Hwy 407 and Black Creek (where it is much smaller than at Eglinton), and is positioned conveniently close to the Wilson Yard.

Making Eglinton compatible with HRT technology means that Eglinton trains can utilize Wilson Yard, minimizing the need for a separate storage facility as Wilson still has spare capacity. Davisville Yard is a possibility as well, only one kilometre south of the corridor.

First of all, Wilson Yard quite likely can support Eglinton subway if no other subway extensions were on the table. But will it be able to support Eglinton and all other planned extensions - I am not so sure ...

Secondly, even the construction of service links between Eglinton subway and either Spadina or Yonge will be a challenge, since both intersection areas are pretty much built up.

Btw, this is one difference between Eglinton and Sheppard subways ... if Sheppard is extended to Downsview eventually, it can connect to Wilson Yard quite easily.

By the way on the issue of transferring, where do you think more people will desire to do so: 5 minute long waits at road median LRT sheds exposed to the elements or climate-controlled stations where trains show up every 2’35’’ or better? If your answer is B, please read on.

Those who live near Eglinton, will be even happier if they do not have to transfer at all: just board the LRT and continue to Spadina or Yonge subway.

If roughly half of all southbound trips for major intersecting TTC bus routes (from west to east: 58, 112, 46, 191, 45, 37, 79, 89, 41, 29, 7, 61, 11, 56, 88, 51, 54 and 100) saw majority passenger drop-off at Eglinton, then that’s a steady guaranteed source of ridership. Crunching the numbers: a total of 85,167ppd or 5323pphpd (SOURCE: http://www3.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/service_improvements_2008.pdf).

And note that’s just from non-TC prioritized north-south feeder bus trips alone, not accounting for Jane, Don Mills or Eglinton East’s massive levels of riders that’d also directly feed into an Eglinton subway.

This argument has merit. However, the number of affected passengers will be reduced by other transit projects on the table. In the west: if one lives south of Albion Rd and south of Finch, Eglinton subway would be closest, but for those who live north of that line, Spadina extension is as close or even closer. In the east: a lot of passengers will ride Eglinton to Yonge as long as DRL East does not exist, but if it is built, many will switch to it.

Then consider Mississauga Transit routes- 11, 17, 27, 35, 50, 57, 82, 89, 109 adding in another 10,000+. The Mississauga Transitway will also attract new ridership, those seeking the Point A - B reliability that comes with the subway, not meandering surface trams. This could all lead to the western termini, handling levels of daily boardings not unlike what Kipling and Islington Stns on the Bloor Line are experiencing today.

That makes for a long trip to almost any place of interest in Toronto, even if Eglinton has subway. How many passengers will be interested?

Even the staunchest Transit City supporter agrees that the Cross town LRT will eventually need to be retrofitted to subway technology once ridership exceeds capacity, which is expected to happen within 50 years time. Should we wait until then to fix the problem or resolve an issue before it even manifests?

I am not aware of such forecasts. And frankly, nobody can predict transit demand in 50 years. It depends on so many factors: overall population growth in GTA, location of employment centres, share of telecommuting, even - who knows - new transportation modes.

I'd rather endorse a plan that spans 10 - 25 years and addresses major bottlenecks within that frame.

Even if transit demand on Eglinton eventually approaches the limit of LRT, there are ways to divert some of it to other routes. One option would be an extension of Sheppard subway (west of Downsview stops at major concessions only - fast route - good airport link for the northern half of 416). Another option is Midtown rail line, which could operate faster than any subway.

And how is one singular subway line which can in fact be seamlessly interlined with the Downtown Relief Line at Mt Dennis to offer direct, continuous rapid transit between PIA and Union/Central Business District; any worse than this overly complicated and expensive, somewhat unwarranted commuter rail scheme?

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/weblog/2009/01/22-will_train.shtml

Is all that really necesary when only 17% of Pearson travellers originate from downtown? Would it not just be better to provide rapid transit to some intermediate destinations along the way as the subway can allot? The directness of a seamless DRL-Eglinton subway interline ride with more conscientious stop spacing than Transit City is more beneficial to commuters as a whole whilst being less disruptive to motorists and the community of Weston.

I don't like the TARL plan too much. What I would prefer is an electrified GO line between Pearson and Union with several stops en route. That would be much more attractive than TARL for non-business travelers and for travelers not from downtown. Yet, electrified GO line would be a lot cheaper than a downtown - Pearson subway.

Finally, Eglinton need not cost the City a mint. In fact seeing as the Cross-town LRT is projected to cost $ 5 billion for 30 kilometres, getting 24 kms of subway instead for roughly the same price isn’t that bad of a deal. The central tunneled section of the line has already been estimated at $2.2 billion total. But let us entertain for a second that swapping LRTs for HRT will magically extrapolate the costs. Going by the Spadina extension’s $265 million/km budget, we’ll say it’s $3.180 billion for the 12 km central tunnel. Now the section through all of Etobicoke and east of Brentcliffe would be at-grade or above-grade areas of track. Very generously I’ll say this comes to $200 million/km for the remaining 12 kilometres. That’s still only $5.580 billion total!

Tunneled portion: count in 5 years (at least) of inflation, and the tunnel under the old part of the city, with constrained space and multiple underground communications. In contrast, part of Spadina tunnel will be under empty land. So, I think that $300 million/km would be fair, if not too optimistic, for Eglinton subway tunnel.

Then, Richview corridor does not go through all of Etobicoke, nor across 401 and 427. Assume 6 km of extra tunneling at $300 million/km, and 6 km in the corridor at $200 million/km.

Total: 18 x 300 + 6 x 200 = $6,600 million or $6.6B.

This is $2B greater than the current plan, and does not include the section east of Don Mills at all.

Last edited:
Given that Eglinton is now projected to be nearly 5 billion, 1.6 billion more to get fully grade separated transit from Scarborough to the airport is a rather good deal.

This has happened several times now. Many of you are intentionally understating Transit City costs by quoting older numbers. Transit City does not cost 6 billion. And it's probably not even going to be less than 10 billion. And Eglinton is going to be at least 5 billion or more (it's already up to 4.6 without even a shovel in the ground). How come I don't see any concern from TC proponents about the fact that Eglinton alone is coming for over 80% of the original Transit City projected cost. Would you guys be so silent if a planned subway extension came in with that kind of cost metric?

Given that Eglinton is now projected to be nearly 5 billion, 1.6 billion more to get fully grade separated transit from Scarborough to the airport is a rather good deal.

This has happened several times now. Many of you are intentionally understating Transit City costs by quoting older numbers. Transit City does not cost 6 billion. And it's probably not even going to be less than 10 billion. And Eglinton is going to be at least 5 billion or more (it's already up to 4.6 without even a shovel in the ground). How come I don't see any concern from TC proponents about the fact that Eglinton alone is coming for over 80% of the original Transit City projected cost. Would you guys be so silent if a planned subway extension came in with that kind of cost metric?

at that price...It should be subway...FINAL

To make this cost comparison reasonable, you need the cost of the various compenents. The tunnel; the at-grade, the rolling stock, and the the yard; all of which are built into the $4.6 billion.

Just to throw some numbers out there, say (pulling the numbers out of my ass) 10 km of tunnel is $2.5 billion, the yard is $0.2 billion, the vehicles are $0.4 billion, and the 23-km at-grade is $1.4-billion. Complete guesses, but probably withing 20% for the tunnel and at-grade.

Adding $1.6 billion to the $1.4 billion for the LRT doubles the cost of that portion of the project. Meanwhile $1.6 billion would build the entire Don Mills LRT, with some left over for Jane!

The question get's down to the fundamental that 30 to 40 km of rapid transit costs about the same as 160 km of significantly improved transit. So let's delay some of the required rapid transit for a few years, and sort out some of the other issues in areas that don't have the demand for rapid transit ... such as most of Eglinton, Sheppard, Finch, Don Mills (though the south end is debatable), Jane, etc.

St. Clair is not a pilot project for Transit City. And it never was or will be. Same with Spadina. They are both streetcars on a right-of-way. Even the Queensway portion of Queen and Queens Quay are still streetcars on a right-of-way.

You may even think an bicycle and a motorcycle are the same because they both ride on two wheels.

What??? The only difference between the St. Clair ROW now and the proposed TC lines is the rolling stock. When the new streetcars arrive, the only difference between a TC line and a regular streetcar line (other than the obvious dedicated lane) will be that the TC lines will have the vehicles connected and paired up.

So no, they are LRT lines, or at least they will be when they are completed.

(Also, the Queensway portion of the Queen line will be used in the WWLRT).

Last edited:

To make this cost comparison reasonable, you need the cost of the various compenents. The tunnel; the at-grade, the rolling stock, and the the yard; all of which are built into the $4.6 billion.

Yes, $4.6B is what the provincial government has allocated for the Eglinton project. I am not aware of any further upward revisions so far.

At the same time, the $6.6B estimate (that I made a few posts ago) was for the subway from the airport to Don Mills only. Travelling from Scarborough, you would have to take a bus between Kennedy Stn and the interim subway terminal at Eglinton / Don Mills.

The cost gap between the full Eglinton subway and the full Eglinton LRT will be in the range of $ 3 - 4 B. This is enough to build DRL, and then some.

Last edited:
Recall that all of these "subway" calculations are based on a very simple $300 million/kilometre figure that assumed bored tunnels (and overbuilt stations) over the entire length. Most of the Eglinton corridor is more than wide enough to accommodate cut-and-cover, trench, or elevated construction that should be feasible for a fraction of that figure.

Recall that all of these "subway" calculations are based on a very simple $300 million/kilometre figure that assumed bored tunnels (and overbuilt stations) over the entire length. Most of the Eglinton corridor is more than wide enough to accommodate cut-and-cover, trench, or elevated construction that should be feasible for a fraction of that figure.

Exactly what I was thinking. Heck, build it elevated to go over the 427 and then run it in the median of the 401 to Pearson, that cuts over 1km of tunnel out of the equation. Richview can be open cut, just as long as the stations are built underground (like what was done at Summerhill) to allow the trench to be decked over when development is wanted. There are also large sections of parking lots directly beside Eglinton Ave E east of the Don Valley that would make excellent cut and cover candidates.

Also, just looking at Google Earth here, there is a hydro corridor that runs on a 30º angle to the grid that intersects Eglinton just west of Victoria Park, and that runs pretty much directly by Lawrence East station. At-grade to Lawrence East station instead of Kennedy? Assuming the SRT is replaced with a B-D extension, it will make little difference which station it terminates at, right?

Just to throw some numbers out there, say (pulling the numbers out of my ass) 10 km of tunnel is $2.5 billion, the yard is $0.2 billion, the vehicles are $0.4 billion, and the 23-km at-grade is $1.4-billion. Complete guesses, but probably withing 20% for the tunnel and at-grade.

Adding $1.6 billion to the $1.4 billion for the LRT doubles the cost of that portion of the project. Meanwhile $1.6 billion would build the entire Don Mills LRT, with some left over for Jane!

The question get's down to the fundamental that 30 to 40 km of rapid transit costs about the same as 160 km of significantly improved transit. So let's delay some of the required rapid transit for a few years, and sort out some of the other issues in areas that don't have the demand for rapid transit ... such as most of Eglinton, Sheppard, Finch, Don Mills (though the south end is debatable), Jane, etc.

I don't understand you. What is it that you want for Toronto?

What??? The only difference between the St. Clair ROW now and the proposed TC lines is the rolling stock.
What???

Look at St. Clair; look at the traffic light and other intersection spacing. 200 to 300 metres is pretty common. 400 to 500 metres is more common. That's a huge difference! Combined with the turning restrictions on intersection, the longer vehicles (St. Clair is running with one-door loading CLRVs), the all-door loading, there are huge differences!

Back