News   Aug 07, 2024
 76     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 271     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 229     0 

Eaton Centre media tower damaged by wind

Tracy Moore from CityTV said this morning that they'll have to start thinking about another use for that space (rather than for billboard advertising) after the incident. I thought it was pretty idiotic to suggest that the entire plan for the area was going to be scrapped because one piece of one sign came down. What was she thinking?

Walked by the area around 3pm today and Yonge Street was reopened, but down to two lanes between Dundas St. and Dundas Sq. The rest of the street was taken up by a crane and workers as they removed the rest of the ad rollers from the entire right side of tower. It looked as if they might be taking down the left side too. Anyone know why they would be taking the ads completely down rather than just fixing the parts that fell off?

Anyone know why they would be taking the ads completely down rather than just fixing the parts that fell off?

If there is a design flaw, would you necessarily want the ads to be hanging around for another windy day?

AoD

Yes, but was anyone seriously injured in Times Square?

spmarshall,

No one was injured, but it seemed a bit odd to me that within a few minutes everything was being cleaned up as if nothing happened at all. I would expect there to be some kind of investigation as someone could have been killed - it was a large heavy object that fell.

When things like this happen and the city is disrupted and police are needed to close streets, control traffic etc does the business responsible have to pay?? (Another example was when bits fell from the BMO Building a year or so ago.)

Last edited:
I saw the area taped off at Yonge/Dundas and was wondering what it was for. At least that's a different part of the tower than was affected before, tho from the winds and the size of that piece it was kind of ridiculous to tape off just the area in front of the Eaton Centre. If that piece had come loose and been caught up in the wind it probably would have landed somewhere around the Torch, definitely not straight below. I guess that's just the culture of making it appear that one is doing their due diligence.

I was there when they closed off the intersection/square. It was a hilarious event with onlookers watching the flapping material. Meanwhile, outside of Forever 21, pedestrians got all jammed up with no where to go. The man who usually stands there screaming "JESUS" was no where to be seen (or heard).

I saw the area taped off at Yonge/Dundas and was wondering what it was for. At least that's a different part of the tower than was affected before, tho from the winds and the size of that piece it was kind of ridiculous to tape off just the area in front of the Eaton Centre. If that piece had come loose and been caught up in the wind it probably would have landed somewhere around the Torch, definitely not straight below. I guess that's just the culture of making it appear that one is doing their due diligence.

Actually, the police watched the situation carefully and acted accordingly. They had the sidewalk on the west side cordoned off, then closed Yonge from Dundas to Dundas Sq. and the east-side sidewalk, then finally closed the entire Dundas Sq. open area.

That all must have happened well after I was there then. When I was there they had about a 20' stretch of the west side of Yonge taped off, and there was a large crowd on the east side taking pictures and watching all of the excitement.

Back