News   Jul 15, 2024
 540     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 704     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 593     0 

East York-Old East York

If you eat meat -- and I know you do as we have had this discussion -- they also get in local grass-fed lamb and stuff. Not every day. But you can order it.
They also carry local crackers, preserves, soups and dairy. It's quite the little treasure.

Leslieville Cheese Shop also closed their Queen West outlet sometime ago. Blamed it on the new Loblaws at Queen and Portland, which always seemed a bit off since some of the other food retailers on that strip, like the Healthy Butcher, claimed an uptick in business with the new Loblaws. I quite like the store on Queen E. (they make nice cheese platters), but have always wondered about their business acumen. That Donlands strip might support other foodie destinations (like Fresh From the Farm), but that doesn't necessarily mean a cheese shop will work. I might actually live closer to the (former) Donlands outlet, yet still never thought to go there and always went to the Queen E. one.

ETA: Turns out it's roughly the same distance, by foot and car, according to Google Maps. But the Donlands one might have been easier for parking.

Noticed on the weekend that the windows at Bill's Garden Centre on Pape are all papered over and there is a large waste bin in the outdoor area. Bill's closed last winter from some point in January to some time in early spring, but they didn't go this far. Wondering if Bill's has gone under, which would be a shame. Although the new owner never really had a feel for the business the way Greg (Bill's son) used to.

Noticed on the weekend that the windows at Bill's Garden Centre on Pape are all papered over and there is a large waste bin in the outdoor area. Bill's closed last winter from some point in January to some time in early spring, but they didn't go this far. Wondering if Bill's has gone under, which would be a shame. Although the new owner never really had a feel for the business the way Greg (Bill's son) used to.

I noticed that too. They've been around forever. I remember years ago playing basketball in the alley behind the Garden Centre with a buddy who's family owns Helios Cleaners next door. We would always try and mess around with the garden centre staff and they would chase us around with garden hoses.

Good times... :D

I will be really really sad if they actually close.

Sisters of St. Joseph (2 O'Connor Dr)

It's probably the nicest building constructed in the city in the last couple of decades.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=toronto+2+o'connor+dr+sisters+of+st.+joseph&biw=1920&bih=946&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq_aKk2-bKAhXHpx4KHY20AgYQ_AUICCgD

Does anyone remember the stolen windows during the reno? http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2010/09/28/stained_glass_windows_stolen_from_heritage_house.html
I wonder if they were ever recovered?

I confirmed with the business next door that Bills has indeed closed. The new owner that took over the last 5 years could not keep the business going any longer.
The building owner hopes to have another garden place in the unit soon as it has all the 'necessities' of a garden center including the outdoor space.

Back