News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

East Bayfront: Bayside (Waterfront Toronto/Hines/Tridel, Pelli Clark Pelli et al)

Like others have noted on here - I think the plan looks a bit cul-de-sac-y, and the shrinkage of Aitken Place park is peculiar.

The repeated mention in the report that the parcel will be built out over 10-15 years....well, that is a downer - plus the 2018 transit date. Aaaaargh.
I remember the original funding photo op, when Mike Harris, Jean Chretien and Mel Lastman got together in the year 2000. Ten years later... ten years. It's taking this watched pot a long time to boil. Kudos to WaterfronToronto for all the quality control, but I really wish things were moving along more quickly.

Great to see Pelli on board. Fantastic.

Last edited:
Not sure what you're seeing ... they're not dead end at all ... they're dead end for cars only, pedestrians can walk right to the water ... across ... and up the other street. I'm pretty sure this is the way it was in the original plan as well.

The original plan gave pedestrians the ability to walk east-west mid-block. R1, R5, and A1 no longer permit that and turn the space in between W1 and R5 into a bit of a back alley. Perhaps there are pedestrian archways through the buildings that open the place up a bit but without more detail it looks like some of the places would look very private.

The original plan gave pedestrians the ability to walk east-west mid-block. R1, R5, and A1 no longer permit that and turn the space in between W1 and R5 into a bit of a back alley. Perhaps there are pedestrian archways through the buildings that open the place up a bit but without more detail it looks like some of the places would look very private.

I assume there will be walkways if there is indeed space between the buildings ... I wouldn't be too concerned - granted it's a little early to tell.

What I'm very glad about is the office component ... if they can lease the space is another matter ... although I assume it may have tax implications being new construction i.e. lower commerical property tax ... anyway, it's a good start.

Regarding the 15 year bit ... one thing to keep in mind is that the west donlands area is being developed at the same time, so I think you'll see change relatively quickly ... let's not forget about Corus / George Brown / Sugar Beach / Sherborne park. There's also been a ton of non apparent infrastructure work going on ... there is action ...

This is an absolute joke.

Such a massive and soon-to-be iconic piece of not only Toronto Waterfront but CANADIAN Waterfront yet again gets destroyed by the Americans. How many great builders are there in Toronto? Plenty.

This just goes to show you how Waterfront Toronto is at it yet again with their inexperienced, monkey board of directors on a powertrip, messing with the city like it's their own personal Lego playground. Chorus quay? Garbage. Sugar Beach? Rubbish.

You better watch yourselves WT, it looks like this one will be a lemon as well.

Can't wait to see the new mayor blow-up WT.

Huh? Considering we haven't even seen the details of the proposal wrt to architectural and urban design, isn't it way too premature to call it anything, much less "destruction"? Besides, if you are quoting Corus and Sugar Beach as "disasters" (I have yet to meet anyone who consider the latter in anything but in positive light), you should know that both are designed by Canadian firms, not American ones. Indeed, American involvement with WT so far (MVVA - Don River Park & LDL; Koetter Kim - EBF Precinct Plan) can be considered as nothing but superlative.

BTW, Corus is put forward by TEDCO, a city agency, not WT.

AoD

Last edited:
Isn't all of the designs on the waterfront done by competitions?

A lot of iconic buildings in Canada are not done by Canadians. As go for many buildings outside of Canada that are done by Canadians.

Isn't all of the designs on the waterfront done by competitions?

A lot of iconic buildings in Canada are not done by Canadians. As go for many buildings outside of Canada that are done by Canadians.

I don't think it matters where in the world they are from, but IMO I would like to see the best possible design for Toronto and the area.

I am surprised that more people are not jumping on the fact that we were not shown all of the "competition" designs. We have talked with Waterfront Toronto in (conversations here), and find their response to be missing the "point" of an open process.

Normally I wouldn't bother so much, but this is one of the final pieces of Toronto Waterfront, so lets not screw it up anymore!

If anyone else cares for an open process, you should write to Waterfront Toronto, or your city-councilor.

You can't have an open process unless the city wants to pick up more of the tab. All tender and bid processes are closed door until the prices and bid documents have been submitted and finalized. When something is purely a design competition they submit the designs and on the close date everybody gets to see the details. When it is a price based competition they submit tender documents and prices and when the bid process closes everybody sees the details. When it is a combination the feedback from the city / waterfront alters the bid prices so it is difficult to make everything open. Hopefully we will at least be able to see what was turned down in terms of development proposals even if we don't see the pricing (which after a few iterations or feedback would not be comparing apples to apples) even though at that point it would be a little late to change things.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/August2010/19/c3608.html

Bayside-aerial.jpg

Bayside_Bonnycastle-night.jpg

Bayside_Sherbourne-summer.jpg

Waterfront Toronto selects Hines to develop next great downtown neighbourhood

New community designed by world-renowned architects Cesar Pelli and Stanton Eckstut

TORONTO, Aug. 19 /CNW/ - Following an extensive competitive selection process, Waterfront Toronto has chosen Hines, one of the world's premier real estate firms, to develop Toronto's next great waterfront neighbourhood.

Hines will help Waterfront Toronto transform the Bayside development site into a vibrant and diverse mixed-use neighbourhood, complete with 1,700 homes, a bustling retail, restaurant and entertainment corridor, and office and employment space for 2,400 jobs. Situated in a prime downtown location in the emerging East Bayfront waterfront district, the Bayside site consists of 4 hectares (10 acres) of underutilized city-owned land south of Queens Quay Boulevard between Lower Sherbourne and Parliament streets.

Having received unanimous approval from Toronto City Council's Executive Committee on August 16, the development agreement for the Bayside project will be presented to City Council for final approval at the August 25/26 council meeting. If approved, the new neighbourhood will be constructed in phases with first occupancy of buildings and completion of dynamic new public spaces as early as 2014. The entire project is expected to be completed by 2021.

To develop its winning proposal, Hines assembled an internationally renowned design team led by luminary architect Cesar Pelli, who is responsible for such iconic buildings as the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur and Manhattan's World Financial Center, and Stanton Eckstut, the visionary behind New York's celebrated Battery Park City waterfront development.

The Bayside site will be the single largest parcel of land developed to date by Waterfront Toronto. Backed by an $800 million private sector investment, the development will result in approximately $1.6 billion in total economic activity and $20 million in development charges for the City of Toronto. To promote lasting economic development, Bayside is being targeted as an employment hub on the waterfront, particularly for knowledge-based industries such as information and communication technology companies and the creative sector.

"The Bayside development is another major step forward in the complete revitalization of our waterfront and it will be an integral part of East Bayfront, which is already taking shape into a showcase 21st century community," said John Campbell, President and CEO of Waterfront Toronto. "We look forward to working in partnership with Hines, a company with an extraordinary track record for sustainable development, energy efficiency and innovative operational practices, to ensure that Bayside will be a model for green building across the city and around the globe."

In addition to meeting or exceeding Waterfront Toronto's Mandatory Green Building Requirements, Hines is planning a number of strategic green programs for Bayside, including the implementation of the Hines GREEN OFFICE Tenant Program, which enhances the sustainable features and operations of employer spaces in commercial buildings. The firm has also proposed the creation of an ENERGY STAR(R) pilot program for commercial construction, which would see Hines partner with Natural Resources Canada to expand the Canadian Building Standard for single-family residential construction into commercial development.

"We are elated by the opportunity to be part of the remarkable transformation underway along Toronto's waterfront, and especially with a project of this importance and magnitude," said Gerald D. Hines, Chairman and Founder of Hines. "With a presence in more than 100 cities around the globe, Hines has the breadth of experience, network of expertise and financial strength required to ensure the timely development of this large and complex waterfront site."

Hines' plans for Bayside will deliver a vibrant and dynamic neighbourhood that is full of life and activity all year round. A significant retail and entertainment destination on Bonnycastle Street will draw visitors from across the city and will provide connections to neighbouring public spaces, including the soon-to-be-completed Sherbourne Common, Queens Quay linear park, and the Water's Edge Promenade. To ensure the neighbourhood is just as vibrant during the colder months, the design team drew inspiration from successful winter environments like Québec City, Montréal and Stockholm. These considerations are evident in the area's non-linear street network, which creates a variety of intimate and weather protected spaces, and the planned construction of a winter garden.

"The people, who will eventually live, work and play here, were our first and foremost design consideration," said architect Cesar Pelli. "The neighbourhood will be built on a decidedly human scale, with mews and small streets that promote a sense of closeness and community."

"Among other things, we are trying to create the most walkable neighbourhood in all of Toronto," added architect Stanton Eckstut. "The most walkable is also the most sustainable approach to city design."

Rounding out the Bayside design team is award-winning Toronto-based Adamson Architects, with their local knowledge and years of collaborative experience on large-scale development projects, including London's Canary Wharf.

High-resolution renderings and a project animation video are available for download at www.waterfrontoronto.ca/newsroom

To learn more about the project, developer and design teams:

www.waterfrontoronto.ca

www.hines.com/canada/bayside

www.pcparch.com/

www.eekarchitects.com

http://adamson-associates.com/

^ It was amazing!

I'm really impressed with the outcome, even the TCHC buildings look outstanding.

I think the best part is.. we still have all of the Portlands and West Don Lands which has to be finished in 'about' 4 years!

Something to add:

Um. I was just reading the news letter that stated this project will be done by 2021..

I know this is not the spot to ask this but, how in everything that is Toronto will the West Don Lands be done in 4 years?

Last edited:
This is the most amazing thing that will happen in Toronto for the next 100 years...

I think it's just that important to develop this space and aliviate some of the problems we face here...and add a touch of extreme vibrancy that we lack at some points outside of the year when there are no summer festivals going on in the city.

Ed and I are just back from the press conference. We'll have all of the renderings up shortly, and some photos from the conference. Cesar Pelli in da house.

To start you off, here's the overall plan, courtesy of Hines.

The property in question runs only as far north as Queens Quay, so much of what is rendered is beyond the scope of this particular 10-year project. Note Moshe Safdie's diagonally designed tower for Great Gulf in the background for example: that is an extirely separate project that will also be going ahead shortly.

All buildings rendered here are concept design only, not detail design yet.

EBayfrontOverallF.jpg

Last edited:

Back