News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 427     0 

East Bayfront: Bayside (Waterfront Toronto/Hines/Tridel, Pelli Clark Pelli et al)

Apparently the developers (both Bayside and Monde) and WT are still working with the City to get the LRT built as it would clearly make residential sales much easier and move the office tower part ahead too. Corus runs shuttle buses and the TTC has extended the #6 Bay bus but that really does not cut it. The WT slogan "transit first' may just have been a slogan....

Yep, a big greasy bus rumbling up and down Queen's Quay isn't a selling point. A smooth LRT is.

As far as I'm aware the original deal forced Hines to build the office buildings before a certain % of the resideintial finished ... with one stipulation ... high order transit, I think it even mentioned the extention of the queens quay lrt basically. Without this they defer the office.

I think it's clear that Waterfront Toronto a) does not have as much political support as it used to have and b) they don't have as much money. We'll probably get more movement on the East LRT when the Queen's Quay revitalization is complete and people are feeling more excited about the potential of the waterfront again.

I think it's clear that Waterfront Toronto a) does not have as much political support as it used to have and b) they don't have as much money. We'll probably get more movement on the East LRT when the Queen's Quay revitalization is complete and people are feeling more excited about the potential of the waterfront again.
Yes, WT's unfortunate record of projects running LONG over deadlines certainly does not help them but Council has said that the QQE LRT is as City priority so I have not yet given up hope.

It's not just WT that runs slowly. It seems that everything moves slowly in this city, from Nathan Phillips Square revitalization to putting up a video screen on Yonge Street or even changing food cart rules & regulations. We can't make tough decisions on things like the Gardiner, so we put it off for a later time. Things just move very slowly and cautiously in this city. Everyone is so afraid of taking any risk at all, it surprising anything gets done but yet, it does, slowly.

I did! I hope yours wins. I like the fact that it's a "street", not a "drive" or a "way, or whatever.

Azure is the best because it sounds simple and beautiful, like a vista of Lake Ontario with placid blue waters and sky. "Drive" sounds suburban. Azure Road would be better. I also like the elegant, simple and traditional Water Street.

apparently the Province wants to fund the LRT with the new infrastructure money, so the office portions in this project may suddenly have a much higher chance of happening.

The winning name for Bayside's U-shaped main street is Merchants' Wharf.

The street name won't be a waste. It will probably become the neighbourhood name for the fact that all the buildings in here will be addressed to Merchants' Wharf (the apostrophe is after the s, BTW). 'Bayside' is way too generic to my thinking, and will likely fall away over time, if Waterfront Toronto and Tridel/Hines don't do the smart thing and start transitioning over to the new moniker themselves.

Back