E Condos (Bazis, Metropia, RioCan) - Real Estate -

Does anyone know why hydro, heating/AC, and water are all extra? I thought it was just hydro that was extra. Also, is it normal that the condo/management fee of $0.52/square foot is being charged on the balcony as well?

Does anyone know why hydro, heating/AC, and water are all extra? I thought it was just hydro that was extra. Also, is it normal that the condo/management fee of $0.52/square foot is being charged on the balcony as well?
Because they are all individually metered unlike the majority older rental buildings.

Last edited:
Also, is it normal that the condo/management fee of $0.52/square foot is being charged on the balcony as well?
Balconies are considered to be common areas. We do not own the balcony and should not be charged maintenance fee for it.
However, you will be charged extra $50/month if you have a locker, and additional $150/month if you have a parking space.

Last edited:
Balconies are considered to be common areas. We do not own the balcony and should not be charged maintenance fee for it.
However, you will be charged extra $50/month if you have a locker, and additional $150/month if you have a parking space.

It is common/normal to be charged a percentage for balconies under CAM fees.

Does anyone know why hydro, heating/AC, and water are all extra? I thought it was just hydro that was extra.
Interesting.. this is what Bazis gave me when I purchased a unit back in 2012.

and this is what they sent me for the occupancy notice.

AC and heat is included in common element. That is, the building has a giant boiler for heat and a condenser for AC. Pipes carry hot or cold water (or whatever) just like a car radiator. Hot in winter cold in summer ...you pay for the electricity to run the fan(s) in your unit.

It is common/normal to be charged a percentage for balconies under CAM fees.
What's a CAM fee?

It is odd to be charged for the sqft of the balcony as they are generally considered exclusive use, common elements.
In my building I don't have a balcony but others do, so in a way I am helping to pay for the upkeep of their balconies through my maintenance fees :-(

What's a CAM fee?

It is odd to be charged for the sqft of the balcony as they are generally considered exclusive use, common elements.
In my building I don't have a balcony but others do, so in a way I am helping to pay for the upkeep of their balconies through my maintenance fees :-(
I doubt they will charge the same $0.52/sqft for the balcony. ALL the corner units are of 692/734 sqft living area + 257 sqft balcony. No one will buy E Condos units, knowing that there will be additional $133.64/month or $1603.68/year (and will definitely increase over time) maintenance just for the balcony. That's like half the annual property tax. They already charge $150/month maintenance fee just for a parking space.

What's a CAM fee?

Common area maintenance. It's a term commonly used in commercial real estate when communicating rates to tenants.

It's not really a term used in residential real estate but it's synonymous to condo fees, which are used to pay for the common elements of the condo, i.e. party room, gym, pool, lobby, security, etc. by taking the total annual costs, dividing them by the square footage of all the units and multiplying by each unit to come up with each unit's share.

That means units that are larger, and in this case those with balconies, will contribute more. I've never seen condo fees charged on balconies before though.

Last edited:
Just had my PDI today, and I can confirm. The noise was real. This is absolutely not livable and way over a tolerable level.
The representative said the residents have been complaining about it for months, and it actually gets even worse on windy days.
Was it windy when you went? My PDI is coming up. How were your views obstructed?

Was it windy when you went? My PDI is coming up. How were your views obstructed?
It was moderately windy, nothing severe. Views were unobstructed.

and some information about occupancy fee,
  • $0.59/sqft monthly maintenance fee
  • $193.45 monthly parking/locker fee. Bazis sold them for $63,000 back in 2012
  • They overestimated the property tax by 50% more than what the city provides here. DON'T FORGET to request the difference back upon the final closing. Many builders just keep the money unless requested.
Parking/locker fee is definitely the highest I've seen and simply ridiculous. FYI, it's $250/month to rent a parking spot from the rental tower which shares the same parking level.
Good luck on your PDI :) My unit was covered with blue tapes all over the unit afterwards..

It was moderately windy, nothing severe. Views were unobstructed.

and some information about occupancy fee,
  • $0.59/sqft monthly maintenance fee
  • $193.45 monthly parking/locker fee. Bazis sold them for $63,000 back in 2012
  • They overestimated the property tax by 50% more than what the city provides here. DON'T FORGET to request the difference back upon the final closing. Many builders just keep the money unless requested.
Parking/locker fee is definitely the highest I've seen and simply ridiculous. FYI, it's $250/month to rent a parking spot from the rental tower which shares the same parking level.
Good luck on your PDI :) My unit was covered with blue tapes all over the unit afterwards..
any significant noise during your PDI ??

Back