News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

Removing all green space, and retail plazas from a neighborhood for another condo sure is popular around these parts.

Personally, I think the little square/green space looks very nice, and definitely makes the neighborhood more presentable.

Yea I dont know why most people on these boards thinks condos should go into every square inch of space we have. It's like they think real life is like playing sim city where the highest population is your goal. I wish Toronto had more of these spaces and less condos tbh.

17 October 2010: Hipsters, welcome to the most useless parkette ever!

dsc01279xr.jpg

Why is it a useless parkette? When I walked by last weekend I saw lots of people using the space in different ways - kids playing, a guy reading, etc. With some plants, flowers, trees, it could look great!

Would be nice if there was a sidewalk or patio restaurant (not fast food) to the west, but the antiquated liquour laws we have in Ontario make that impossible. Maybe a food cart or two, unless Toronto by-laws get in the way.

Where's drum118 with all of his exhaustive reports on transit projects around the GTA? He's been noticeably absent lately.

Hot off the wire. Opening, who knows. Maybe December
[video=youtube;NwQtpSgdwm4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwQtpSgdwm4[/video]

When I moved into my newly built house, the driveway was not paved until over a year later. This was to allow the base to settle, else cracks and depressions would appear as the ground settles.

The Dufferin underpass base is a completely new road. Same reason for the road surface as for driveways why it is taking so long. They are allowing the ground base to settle to prevent future potholes.

When I moved into my newly built house, the driveway was not paved until over a year later. This was to allow the base to settle, else cracks and depressions would appear as the ground settles.

The Dufferin underpass base is a completely new road. Same reason for the road surface as for driveways why it is taking so long. They are allowing the ground base to settle to prevent future potholes.

Doesn't "settling" take place over a full year with changes in seasons, freezing/thawing, etc? So if the reason they have slowed down on this project is to allow the roadway to settle.....wouldn't that mean that it will be left to settle for a year?

I alwas thought standard practice was to do an initial paving raise the manhole covers, and then do a second paving 2 years later

I alwas thought standard practice was to do an initial paving raise the manhole covers, and then do a second paving 2 years later
Generally ... though often one year rather than two. Depends on the construction technique though. There's a difference between Asphalt over gravel, compared to a concrete road bed.

you don't wait to settle when you got big packing machines and a really thick layer of aggregate. people wait for their driveways to settle because there's only a few inches of aggregate and it's usually compressed with a small roller/vibrator. i've seen roadways with what looks like 12" of aggregate on top of clay, topped with 8" of concrete on the aggregate, topped with 5 inches of asphalt (half base, half top coat) on the concrete.

and you better believe the clay/sand base that whole think ass roadway was built on was compacted and rolled to death with machines that look bigger than these:

catrolerncomptr.jpg

If one is doing two layers of asphalt (as noted elsewhere this is more common when the base is thinner and may compact more) you actually install the man-holes at the FINAL height so they stick up until the second coat is laid. If it will be left over a winter when snowploughs may hit them they are "ramped up"

Back