News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

They are not installing tracks, look for the channel on the ground where the inner two lanes are (on either side if the centre support) it looks like it is for installing streetcar tracks at a later date.

LOL i guess I'm just blind because I still don't see it.

And I fully support LRTizing Dufferin.

LOL i guess I'm just blind because I still don't see it.

And I fully support LRTizing Dufferin.

Look at the left hand side where the centre support are. Now a few feet to the right if it, you have a channel that is wide to support tracks next to the road. I don't expect to see rail place at this time since there is no approve plan to take tracks north of Queen at this time.

It will be fill in with either asphalt or breakout concrete.

Then it could be for something else.
IMG_aug-30-09-0150.jpg

Look at the left hand side where the centre support are. Now a few feet to the right if it, you have a channel that is wide to support tracks next to the road. I don't expect to see rail place at this time since there is no approve plan to take tracks north of Queen at this time.

It will be fill in with either asphalt or breakout concrete.

Then it could be for something else.
IMG_aug-30-09-0150.jpg

Some arrows would be helpful.

As for LRT, yes they could just have one lane for cars. It's doable.

Britannia is effectively one lane in each direction from Creditview to Queen/Mississauga Rd right now and it's not that bad, even in rush hour (although I suspect many have switched to Eglinton in the interim).

Britannia is effectively one lane in each direction from Creditview to Queen/Mississauga Rd right now and it's not that bad, even in rush hour (although I suspect many have switched to Eglinton in the interim).

I suspect that your suspicion is correct.

Britannia is being widened to two lanes in each direction through this area. Unfortunately it won't help the character of this part of Streetsville. Some property has been expropriated.

I suspect that your suspicion is correct.

Britannia is being widened to two lanes in each direction through this area. Unfortunately it won't help the character of this part of Streetsville. Some property has been expropriated.

In phase one Britannia from Creditview to Queen is being widened to two lanes in each direction. In phase two, Britannia from Creditview to Hurontario(?) is being widened to 3 in each direction. Which I think is totally unnecessary and still maintains a bottleneck. Why not just leave it at 2+2 so that it has the same amount of lanes the whole way across?

And I wish the Britannia jog would be fixed too. I know it's in long-term plans, but it'd make Britannia so much more useful if it wasn't broken in two pieces. There's no quick way to get from one part of Britannia to the other.

While there isn't room for a ROW up Dufferin, an LRT line would sure beat the current bus. People are more likely to ride a streetcar than a bus. It's a more comfortable ride, not to mention it would be more environmentally friendly.

I hope once the jog is gone, the TTC adds an LRT on Dufferin to Transit City plans.

^ Oh I see. Good to know they're thinking ahead. Of any bus routes in the city, Dufferin is the most pressing candidate for a switch to LRT.

Tell me about it. I take the Dufferin bus south of Bloor fairly often, and it seems that no matter what time of day I get on, it's always irritatingly packed. It's quite the unpleasant ride on a loud, swaying, lurching, rattling bus, jammed like sardines. It's third world quality of transit, as if the city is too poor to invest in anything better despite ridership bursting at the seams. While Dufferin certainly deserves a Transit City LRT ROW, a streetcar running in mixed traffic is the bare minimum upgrade the street needs. By the surprising looks of things with this project, maybe the TTC is finally considering at least that.

Tell me about it. I take the Dufferin bus south of Bloor fairly often, and it seems that no matter what time of day I get on, it's always irritatingly packed. It's quite the unpleasant ride on a loud, swaying, lurching, rattling bus, jammed like sardines. It's third world quality of transit, as if the city is too poor to invest in anything better despite ridership bursting at the seams. While Dufferin certainly deserves a Transit City LRT ROW, a streetcar running in mixed traffic is the bare minimum upgrade the street needs. By the surprising looks of things with this project, maybe the TTC is finally considering at least that.

TTC has thought about streetcar service on Dufferin for a long time up to Bloor, but the jog was in the way. Since Dufferin Station is being rebuilt, any loop would have to be up at Dupont.

This line would run in mix traffic as there is no way any type of ROW can be place on this road.

It would be nice to take the line all the way to Wilson, but would require a tunnel from Dupont to St Clair to deal with the grade as well an elevated section between Rogers Rd and Eglinton.

LRT's can't handle the grade on Dufferin past Dupont? Heck, do it the same way they do it in San Francisco then: cable pully assisted.

I thought the TTC was fully against running streetcars in any mixed traffic situation now? Maybe they can make an exception here though... cause Dufferin needs it.

I think its premature to assume the TTC is planning on running streetcar service on Dufferin. They are more likely just being smart by allowing a provision for future tracks, and saving themselves the cost and hassle of re-constructing the slab of the tunnel structure in the future if they ever do want to add tracks.

Back