News   Jul 15, 2024
 127     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 331     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

DRL Station Design

The centre platform format is better for times when you're conversing with a friend who's going in the opposite direction. You can keep talking until someone's train comes (without yelling across the platform :) ). Of course, it's cheaper because only one elevator is needed, which will also mean lower maintenance costs.

Great work wylie - I love how you "spelled" Eastern Chinatown in the ancient scripts! Did you get that inspiration from the Olympics?

AoD

PS: As a further design suggestion - maybe the script tiles themselves can be in the blue-white porcelain.

Good stuff! You're hired, wylie...we can save like a bajillion dollars by using simple and attractive designs like yours, more than enough to build a few showcase stations at termini/interchanges/special spots.

The centre platform format is better for times when you're conversing with a friend who's going in the opposite direction. You can keep talking until someone's train comes (without yelling across the platform :) ). Of course, it's cheaper because only one elevator is needed, which will also mean lower maintenance costs.

Centre platforms also give you wider platforms by not splitting the width up between two sides. The total width may not actually be wider, of course, but it's all relative. There's no wall behind you, though there are pillers and staircases and benches to cling to if you're afraid of whoosing trains or psychotic people-pushers.

Next step is to kill the mezzanines and have shallower stations...shallow enough to use ramps, if we're dreaming out loud (I'm looking at you Richview corridor). Alas, since everything *must* be underground and TBM'd these days, shallow stations are an endangered species.

Good stuff! You're hired, wylie...we can save like a bajillion dollars by using simple and attractive designs like yours, more than enough to build a few showcase stations at termini/interchanges/special spots.

Simple and attractive is good, though I think it's appropriate to get different architects for even the cheaper and less prominent stations. Montreal has been more successful in their stations, and from what I recall parts of the system were built on a budget similar to Toronto's system.

Last edited:
Um..where is this station going to go?

I would be interested to see how you would imagine the transfer between the Chinatown East Stn. & the streetcar.

I enjoy this design. I look forward to seeing more stations. I'm not overly concerned about the spacing of the station name, as long as the font is right.

These kind of pictures would look great on the DRL Facebook page.

Has anyone registered DRL NOW.ca?

I may be a lone voice of dissent, but I don't like centre platforms. Yes, they're cheaper, but that doesn't automatically make them better. I don't agree with the idea that centre platforms have better circulation since when both directions' trains are accessed from the same platform, you're going to have more complex circulation patterns and conflicts. It is simpler to navigate, sure, but crowd control is inferior.

I don't like not having a wall on one side of the platform. This is important when it gets crowded. If it is crowded both ways and there's no wall to take refuge, the risk is greater of someone falling to track level with centre platforms. Centre platforms are also notrious for being narrow around stairways, a situation side platforms are quite good at avoiding. Side platforms also don't require columns along them (since the columns typically end up between the two tracks). This leaves centre platforms with less area than side platforms, and are lower in capacity because both directions share the same elevator, escalators, and stairs (even though they're wider, they're not twice as wide).

I think that, if the subway can be kept shallow enough, that ramps be put in instead of elevators and escalators. That keeps maintenance costs waaay down. It requires the subway to be shallow though, a key clause.

Also, I think that, if following certain streets, some parts in the west part of the core may be forced to stack the two directions one on top of the other due to space constraints (some streets get smaller as they head west).

Last edited:
I think that, if the subway can be kept shallow enough, that ramps be put in instead of elevators and escalators. That keeps maintenance costs waaay down. It requires the subway to be shallow though, a key clause.

Ramps can be quite dangerous, and aren't the most practical use of space. The ramp would have to be built at a very low angle, making the distance quite long, and must be somehow safe enough with winter slush kicking around. Due to fire code regulations each station would need two exits by 2020?, but with a ramp it may only fit one. The space needed for one ramp can be used for multiple stairways and escalators.

Back