961     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 839     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 342     0 

Downtown Rapid Transit Expansion Study

Optimal solution should be...

• Total voters
The current Union Station platform could be used for the University-Don Mills line, and the Yonge Line can get a new Union Station in a straight line under King.

However, for those middle income working families, who make $70-80K year, one third would go to income tax, 13% goes to HST, how can the remaining money be sufficient to buy much for the daily necessities, not to mention $450k "median priced" homes?

A family making $80k a year (two people making $40k each) would pay about 15% of their income in income taxes, and that's before tax credits. It would also be literally impossible for 13% of their income to go to HST without going into massive debt.

The perceptions people have of the tax system still bugs me.

Congratulation Toronto on your new subway cars, they are a thing of beauty!

Just got into one the other day, wow. As a Montreal subway fan (see http://metrodemontreal.com) I find that the modern design is appropriate for the look of the existing subway system. I also like the traditional gray metal color that reflect the old cars and is now a tradition for the city. Tasteful, appropriate, robust, hope I get to use it daily if I get to move there for a few years. I can tell that these will give years of good service to your amazing city. .

The Montreal subway is only 8 feet in width, it was a decision based on the fact that the population is smaller in Montreal and a cost saving strategy for future development. It was assumed at the time that the way to increase capacity would be to increase the speed of the cars (was that wise?) which is what will/may happen with the new cars scheduled to start appearing beginning of 2014. It's seven years behind schedule following complications in negotiating the contract with Bombadier/Alstrom.

The current Union Station platform could be used for the University-Don Mills line, and the Yonge Line can get a new Union Station in a straight line under King.

Yup, this was the idea. Although since it needs to veer west, maybe not directly under Yonge, but rather halfway between Yonge and Bay.

I agree. I don't get the obsession with connecting the Yonge and Spadina lines in the north. Just for the sake of having a "complete" circle? Who would travel from, say Sheppard/Don Mills to Sheppard/Dufferin? There is nothing at sheppard/dufferin as far as know...

Connectivity and redundancies in the system are important for overall efficiency and quality of the system. If there is a problem at York Mills, people can just take the spadina line North from downtown and cross over to Yonge again past the problem. This would surely ease a lot of the pain when running shuttle buses between sections of Yonge, etc during a breakdown or something. We know all too well that the system isn't 100% full-proof and that problems do occur. Connectivity allows the overall system to adapt better to them.

Connectivity and redundancies in the system are important for overall efficiency and quality of the system. If there is a problem at York Mills, people can just take the spadina line North from downtown and cross over to Yonge again past the problem. This would surely ease a lot of the pain when running shuttle buses between sections of Yonge, etc during a breakdown or something. We know all too well that the system isn't 100% full-proof and that problems do occur. Connectivity allows the overall system to adapt better to them.

yes, i understand it provides an alternative route if something happens, but apparently you can't cover all circumstances. What happens if there is a problem at Pape station? does it mean the future Eglinton line should provide a link to the Bloor line as well, west and east side?

Ideally everything should be inter-connected like the London underground. Unfortunately we don't have what London has, and we don't have much money either. Spending money to provide such a connectivity is useful, as you mentioned, but doesn't seem to the best use of money given Toronto's situation (ie: lack of subway coverage in a lot of more important/busier areas). What happens if something happens at Rosedale, but I need to get to Eglinton Station, should I make a Uturn all the way up, from Queen for example, travel a giant circle and come down? In most cases, a shuttle bus is efficient enough.

Eventually, I'd like to see a "circle" line, like what London and Shanghai do, which connects every other lines in their huge intertwining "network". However, we won't have the luxury for a long time.

Ideally everything should be inter-connected like the London underground.
There's lots of lack of connectivity issues in London - sometimes with two tunnels crossing each other, with no stations.

Eventually, I'd like to see a "circle" line, like what London and Shanghai do, which connects every other lines in their huge intertwining "network". However, we won't have the luxury for a long time.
You realize that London Underground finally stopped operating their Circle line as a circle. It's still called the circle line, but it no longer operates an infinite circle, but now is simply a regular, end-to-end, line. More of a cork-screw now than a circle.

You realize that London Underground finally stopped operating their Circle line as a circle. It's still called the circle line, but it no longer operates an infinite circle, but now is simply a regular, end-to-end, line. More of a cork-screw now than a circle.

Yes, i do know that. Actually I thought it runs in circle when I was traveling, before I realized it doesn't! Something I didn't understand.

Yes, i do know that. Actually I thought it runs in circle when I was traveling, before I realized it doesn't! Something I didn't understand.
It did run in a real circle for a long time ... from the 1940s to the end of 2009. Though various trains would generally go out of service in various places - and it was frequently out-of-service, and late. The breaking of the circle was an attempt to improve reliability, which has as far as hear, worked very well.

Well, to provide redundancy for service disruptions that total only a few hours per year is not sufficient to justify the massive expense of Sheppard west subway to Downsview. There has to be enough people riding the line.

As a side note to my westward Yonge extension thing, I wonder how much money the City could generate from selling some of the land in the Ex to be redeveloped at near City Place-like densities? I would imagine it would go a long way to paying for at least part of the subway extension.

With a subway there, they wouldn't need so much parking, and even the parking they do need can be put underground or in structures instead of being swaths of surface parking.

I've liked the idea of detaching Yonge from University-Spadin and joining the DRL to University-Spadina line instead since I first heard it--especially after hearing the University line was the original "DRL"--to relieve Yonge.

I can't remember whose idea it was though. But it's been brought up many times now. I think the originator of the idea had a diagram too, but I could be wrong, it may have been someone else. It must have been years ago.

I've liked the idea of detaching Yonge from University-Spadin and joining the DRL to University-Spadina line instead since I first heard it--especially after hearing the University line was the original "DRL"--to relieve Yonge.

I can't remember whose idea it was though. But it's been brought up many times now. I think the originator of the idea had a diagram too, but I could be wrong, it may have been someone else. It must have been years ago.

It's been in a bunch of different fantasy maps, commonly referred to as the "Union X" proposal.

What I proposed earlier is by no means new, but I think what's unique about it is the supplementary underground LRT along Queen, which impacts the alignments of the DRL East and the Yonge Ex extension.

It was that yoyotek proposal that had a bunch of different lines where Sheppard ended up being the longest! As for a belt line it would have the advantage of the 2 different directions being independent and not affected by each other if one direction has a delay.

futurettc.jpg

Back