News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 3.1K     4 

Downtown Mississauga Office Strategy

I absolutely can not wait for her to be gone. Please let her be replaced with someone smart and young. Not younger than her, but young.
Someone who actually wants the City Centre to be a place for people not cars filled with people going to Square One and eating at Jack Astors after.

"It been 18 years since the last building went up for office in the core."

Has it really been that long since the CIBC tower was built? Wow. I can remember old city hall on that site quite well...

Anyway, the city outgrew the Civic Centre office space approx. 5 mins after the building was completed, I believe. They have staff all over the place now. They are currently finishing 3 floors over at 201 City Centre to move staff into. So any talk of a new dedicated tower has to be a long way off (I would assume this new lease is 5 years+).

But this is all good news. There's a pretty good balance of retail, office and residential in the city centre....it just happens to be separated from each other for the most part. Increasing all three should hopefully bring more mixed use and filling-in-the-gaps.

I walk around the city centre every day, and it's not that bad of a place to do so - lots of pedestrians around. But nothing has been done for over a decade (or two) to the pedestrian infrastructure, and it shows badly.

"It been 18 years since the last building went up for office in the core."

Has it really been that long since the CIBC tower was built? Wow. I can remember old city hall on that site quite well...

Anyway, the city outgrew the Civic Centre office space approx. 5 mins after the building was completed, I believe. They have staff all over the place now. They are currently finishing 3 floors over at 201 City Centre to move staff into. So any talk of a new dedicated tower has to be a long way off (I would assume this new lease is 5 years+).

But this is all good news. There's a pretty good balance of retail, office and residential in the city centre....it just happens to be separated from each other for the most part. Increasing all three should hopefully bring more mixed use and filling-in-the-gaps.

I walk around the city centre every day, and it's not that bad of a place to do so - lots of pedestrians around. But nothing has been done for over a decade (or two) to the pedestrian infrastructure, and it shows badly.

Transportation and works are at 201 now.

That what you get for a bad design city hall in the first place.

There has been talk around for so long of building a office building on the north-west corner of Duke of York and Burnhamthrope that I lost track years ago.

If both towers to the east were tore down, you can start fresh with street friendly building that took the whole block in as an 6-10 story tall building with 3 towers 30-60 story or what every tall that is setback from the street edge. Don't want to see anything under 30+.

Could be all office or a combination of retail, commercial, hotel, and condo's.

Parking would be under ground with a parking rate of $20 per hour, $400 a month.

Live and work in the same place. Sadly, you will have to drive to buy your grocery until someone replace the Dominion store that was part of Sq One at One time.

I've noticed the Dominion in Iona Plaza is getting busier and busier lately. It's the only grocery store in the area and it's not even big.

That store was renovated recently and it must be doing quite well. But another supermarket in the district is certainly needed. The next nearest one is up at Hurontario and Eglinton.

If I recall correctly, there is a convenience store that recently opened under Capital South, and that should help a lot.

A convenience store is not a substitute for grocery shopping. Prices for food for cooking in those stores is insane.

I never said it is a substitute did I?

People can now buy a few items without having to drive, and that wasn't possible before.

Well you did say it should help "a lot", and we were talking about supermarkets, so it sounded like you were saying it's a substitute, yes.

It is great, there's a Hasty Market there now. The Hasty Market in Sussex Centre sucks badly.

Transportation and works are at 201 now.

I'm surprised to see they moved over so soon...given that the space really isn't done! Did you move here (I assume you work for the city)?

I wouldn't say it's necessary to get rid of all the offices in this stretch of City Centre. 201 fronts the street, although at a bizarre angle, and could see an expansion to get rid of the surface parking. 151 is a bad building, through and through. No clue who owns that one, but they haven't put a dime into it and it's certainly the worst office building in the city centre. Would love to see it put out of its misery.

Back