News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 601     1 

Downtown Mississauga Master Plan

Something like Hullmark Centre would look awesome at the corner of Hurontario & Burnhamthorpe. A large fountain in the middle with a big plaza, and some large screens with advertising.

I would love to see the intersection of Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe turned into a giant roundabout. It would be an awesome place for one. The middle could be a giant fountain. A square could be built in the south-west part of the intersection, along with a redevelopment of Novotel to create a space kind of like what is proposed for the Hullmark Centre (Minus ads please). The square would be an amazing viewing point for Absolute World, with the fountain in the foreground. The future LRT could go under the fountain at this point, to an underground station under it with exits to all 4 corners of the intersection.

The shape of the Kaneff building on the South-East corner would frame that side of the roundabout nicely, all we would have to do is build a curved podium that matches the curve of the roundabout.

The North-East corner of course, is Absolute and would be left as is.

The North-West corner could would be another podium wrapping the roundabout with towers on each end.

Last edited:
I would love to see the intersection of Hurontario and Burnhamthorpe turned into a giant roundabout. It would be an awesome place for one. The middle could be a giant fountain. A square could be built in the south-west part of the intersection, along with a redevelopment of Novotel to create a space kind of like what is proposed for the Hullmark Centre (Minus ads please). The square would be an amazing viewing point for Absolute World, with the fountain in the foreground. The future LRT could go under the fountain at this point, to an underground station under it with exits to all 4 corners of the intersection.

Funny, for years I thought that a giant roundabout at this intersection and smaller ones two to three intersections in each direction would help traffic flow better through the area as currently it seems as though none of the stoplights are in sync. I even thought a fountain in the middle at Burnhamthorpe/Hurontario would be a nice touch.

To really make this intersection work, some sort of structure would be needed on the north-west corner too to replace the parking currently there.

It's too late. While there is room to push back on the NW, SW and SE corners - it's Absolute World that now sits too close to the intersection for a roundabout to be possible.

That would be one major roundabout - would have to be 3 lanes deep. It's one thing to get westerners to use smaller ones in subdivisions, but a major one like this with 100,000 cars a day? As cool as it would be, it would be a nightmare and probably have multiple collisions daily. Canadian drivers need green and red.

If you want to get crazy, I think tunneling B'thorpe under Hurontario - and using an upper roundabout/ramps for turns only - makes more sense.

800px-Roundabout.bristol.arp.jpg

Kinda like that photo from Bristol, except you could cover the center and still do your square/fountain... except AW is not the impediment.

Last edited:
It's too late. While there is room to push back on the NW, SW and SE corners - it's Absolute World that now sits too close to the intersection for a roundabout to be possible.

That would be one major roundabout - would have to be 3 lanes deep. It's one thing to get westerners to use smaller ones in subdivisions, but a major one like this with 100,000 cars a day? As cool as it would be, it would be a nightmare and probably have multiple collisions daily. Canadian drivers need green and red.

If you want to get crazy, I think tunneling B'thorpe under Hurontario - and using an upper roundabout/ramps for turns only - makes more sense.

Kinda like that photo from Bristol, except you could cover the center and still do your square/fountain... except AW is not the impediment.

The roundabout can always be shifted to the south-west a bit to accommodate Absolute World, though Absolute World is set back quite a bit from the intersection anyway so it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

As for the number of lanes, Burnhamthorpe is being turned into a boulevard which would eliminate the middle lanes. LRT on Hurontario would also eliminate a lane in each direction. The lack of a traffic signal would mean that 2 lanes each way should be more than enough to facilitate the smooth flow of traffic.

Finally, about Westerners not being able to use roundabouts, we already do. Columbus Circle in New York is an example of a major one. No one knew how to drive before cars were invented. It didn't stop us from mass producing them. People learn.

Finally, about Westerners not being able to use roundabouts, we already do. Columbus Circle in New York is an example of a major one. No one knew how to drive before cars were invented. It didn't stop us from mass producing them. People learn.

Yeah, really. I tend to think that roundabouts are an even easier concept than our lighted intersections with their advanced greens, right turns on red, right turn arrows, not being allowed to turn right when opposing traffic has an advanced, etc. I think the whole "North Americans are too dumb to be able to navigate roundabouts"-type arguments are a little overstated.

It's not that some roundabouts can't work - clearly some smaller ones do - I'm just not so sure something as large as this would work... especially when you consider LRT is going to cross in both directions at some point.

You guys do know that Columbus Circle in NYC has stop lights, right? They make cars stop part way around so others can get on - which sorta defeats the purpose of having an ever-moving roundabout.

A more realistic scenario might be as follows:

1) Tunnel Hurontario N-S underneath Burnhamthorpe E-W. This allows the busier road's through traffic to have unfettered flow. Eventual LRT will either go underneath along with the road, or turn left at Burnhamthorpe to loop through the MCC area.

2) Make Burnhamthorpe a divided boulevard as planned, with accommodation for LRT down the median also.

3) Allow 2 Bunhamthorpe lanes to pass each way through the roundabout, allowing one lane from Hurontario to enter, entering the loop to make left hand turns only.

4) Any right hand turns would essentially work like they do now, though dedicated right turn lanes/ramps would be extended and made more gradual to improve flow at speed.

5) While the round center o the roundabout would be divided in half by t E-W running LRT, there is still space to ad in some greenery, statues, etc - or perhaps even an arch of some kind. Something more modern would be cooler than a Triomphe wannabe, but the entire intersection would be punctuated quite nicely by something like this.

Many photos would be taken from the SW corner, taking in the roundabout, archway and AW building in the background. Talk about a postcard!

Something like this could work. Quasi-roundabout with some sort of feature in the center. Modern archway, maybe?

Notice that signals could be turned on to stop circular traffic to allows the LRT to pass through. These could be triggered by the trains themselves as they approach the roundabout.

attachment.php

Attachments

• MCC-roundabout.jpg
    MCC-roundabout.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
The city is still advertising a Canada Day celebration and the Ribfest next summer. Will these events be moved next year while the work between City Hall and the Library continues or will they be far enough along that the area can be used temporarily?

I would assume the former.

I suspect that moving the Canada Day celebrations to the surrounding area would be far less problematic than Ribfest since it's one day and most of the shut downs would only be in effect on a statutory holiday.

Ribfest might be more of an issue since it is three days (or was it four this past year) and there is need not only for a stage but also areas for a significant number of picnic tables, the ribbers and other food vendors, and the midway for the kiddies; something that would be difficult to do along a road and might take up too much of the Square One parking lot during a busy weekend. I wonder if they might consider a move to Port Credit or Streetsville for one year? The latter might be a viable option since Bread and Honey has similar needs and fits nicely into Streetsville Memorial Park.

I think parking would be a problem at Mississauga Valley (unless they shut down the activities at the community centre during the three days) but it would be an attractive location.

My Mississauga 2010

Beginning with the Torch Relay Celebration on December 19, all city events will take place along Princess Royal Drive between the north entrance of City Hall and the Living Arts Centre.

For the summer of 2010 the new City Centre Community Park west of Living Arts Drive will also be used for special events.

Louroz

Tuesday, January 19, 2010, 7 - 9 pm

The City of Mississauga invites you to attend a special open house presentation on the final Downtown21 Master Plan:

When: Tuesday, January 19, 2010, 7 - 9 pm

Where: Mississauga City Hall - Council Chambers

300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga

In late 2008, the City of Mississauga launched a comprehensive downtown master plan, engaging the participation of key stakeholders and the public. Branded as Downtown21, the Master Plan is a highly important initiative flowing from the City’s new strategic plan with a view to building on the many significant achievements realized in the downtown to date.

The Downtown21 Master Plan has evolved into an inspiring blue-print for the future since its launch a year ago. It proposes new infrastructure in the Downtown and provides a predictable development framework for landowners, developers, the City and public. Moreover, the plan highlights a number of strategic opportunities and key actions in making Downtown Mississauga a truly sustainable and vibrant place, such as the creation of a new main street district that serves as an exciting urban destination for citizens to live, work, shop, and engage in cultural activities and special events.

Please join us on Tuesday, January 19, 2010, to hear about this exciting new plan for the downtown. Additional details are attached. Further background information on the Downtown21 Master Plan can be found at the Project Website at www.downtown21.ca .

We look forward to seeing you there.

Yours truly,

Downtown21 Project Office

City of Mississauga

Back