News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 601     1 

Downtown Mississauga Master Plan

I even think that the Kaneff buildings will go this same way one day.

A number of them are actually condominiums so buying the properties would require negotiating with hundreds of different residents in each building. I would assume that makes it far more difficult than buying each building from a single owner.

I had an informal meeting Friday with a senior member of the project team for Downtown 21 and I believe once the official plan is released to the public you will all be blown away by what is being proposed.

First off, two of the GTA’s major residential and commerical developers are involved, in addition to a new Dubai based development company are all at the table. Together with the city intense planning is taking place on a coordinated development over 5 major properties in the identified new Mainstreet Neighbourhood. I suspect a new public-private Downtown Mississauga Development Corporation will be launched to quickly guide the project along quickly.

The most exciting proposal for the new district is this policy of banning any retail chains from locating along the new mainstreet. An innovate new program will be designed to attract and support a series of diverse, locally owned businesses, with a strong focus on ethnic resturaunts to open in the new district.

Finally, I can also confirm that a new grocery store will anchor one of the phases of the project.

Louroz

Great News, FM!

A number of them are actually condominiums so buying the properties would require negotiating with hundreds of different residents in each building. I would assume that makes it far more difficult than buying each building from a single owner.
Yeah - I figured condos were a more difficult arrangement - but I think the only actual condo is the one right at the intersection. The other two are rentals no?

The way I justified it in my mind was as follows:

Kaneff would split everything into 3 development ready lots. Sell the outer two where the rental building are for say, $10 mil each. This raises $20 mil towards buying out the condo owners, which could cost $40~$50 mil. It's a lot of money, but the $25~ mil cost (plus all demolition) to re-create the prime intersection of the city isn't that bad, as there is room for 4 towers plus lots of townhouse and retail podium space.

All buildings could be in the 36~44 range, with a "focal point" tower to reclaim the intersection for Kaneff... something very tall/eyecatching to compete with Absolute World across the way.

If I'm wrong on the other 2 buildings being rentals then the financials make less sense, but imagine that whole southwest corner re-developed without the tower-in-the-park waste of space that largely ruins that intersection. I've never seen anyone reading or playing with their kids in that green space behind the fences - it's a complete waste.

The Kaneff building at the SE corner Burnhamthorpe and Hurontario is a condo, as is the one the furthest south of the three along Hurontario. The middle one is a rental but it has not been owned by Kaneff for some time. I believe the building is owned by a pension plan and a legal firm.

The building closest to the SW corner Burnhamthorpe and Arista is also a condo, along with the one near the SE corner.

There are 6 Kaneff built buildings on that corner. 2 are rentals. I live in one of them. The one I live in is no longer Kaneff run, however the other one is. Mine is run by Realstar.

There are 6 Kaneff built buildings on that corner. 2 are rentals. I live in one of them. The one I live in is no longer Kaneff run, however the other one is. Mine is run by Realstar.
There are only 3 buildings directly at B'thorpe & 10 that would be part of this "overhaul" I've imagined, but if more than one is a condo than any concept about re-doing that corner becomes a lot less likely.

There are 6 overall as you've mentioned - I almost moved into #6 in the image below. It made more (fantasy) sense to turn 3 buildings into 8, at the prime corner where the profile is higher and a better $ could be commanded when complete.

Of the buildings in the image, which are condo (C) and which are rental (R)?

-
-

Did anyone attend the 7:30 presentation at the Library yesterday, regarding the history of the MCC and what the future holds? I wanted to attend, but had my hands full at the office.

Attachments

• Kaneff-IDs.jpg
    Kaneff-IDs.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 222
Rather than knock down those kaneff buildings, why not wrap them in 4-6 story red brick buildings, keeping some green space between the kaneff buildings and my proposals? The red brickers would be pushed to the property line, retail uses etc.
Your proposal as to buy up and replace detached homes, was it not?

I originally though that building out to the street here would make sense too, some low rise apartments or townhomes, but there's the issue of the parking structures, taking away common area from the condos, etc...

It would be ultimately more difficult to ever make happen on the existing condo land, wouldn't it?

Mine is run by Realstar.

Is that 3620? Realstar has the contract to run that one (as well as the one just to the South, IIRC) but the owners of the building are a pension plan and a law firm. I believe the one SE of 3620 (i.e. across the road and closer to Obelisk) is also a rental.

There are only 3 buildings directly at B'thorpe & 10 that would be part of this "overhaul" I've imagined, but if more than one is a condo than any concept about re-doing that corner becomes a lot less likely.

There are 6 overall as you've mentioned - I almost moved into #6 in the image below. It made more (fantasy) sense to turn 3 buildings into 8, at the prime corner where the profile is higher and a better $ could be commanded when complete.

Of the buildings in the image, which are condo (C) and which are rental (R)?

2 is a condo.
3 is rental.
4 is condo.
5 is condo.

Is that 3620? Realstar has the contract to run that one (as well as the one just to the South, IIRC) but the owners of the building are a pension plan and a law firm. I believe the one SE of 3620 (i.e. across the road and closer to Obelisk) is also a rental.

Yup it's 3620. I would love to see retail along Hurontario in front of these buildings. Well I should say in back of them, as the main entrances are on Kaneff Cres.
Something like Hullmark Centre would look awesome at the corner of Hurontario & Burnhamthorpe. A large fountain in the middle with a big plaza, and some large screens with advertising.

khristopher said:
Yup it's 3620. I would love to see retail along Hurontario in front of these buildings. Well I should say in back of them, as the main entrances are on Kaneff Cres.
Something like Hullmark Centre would look awesome at the corner of Hurontario & Burnhamthorpe. A large fountain in the middle with a big plaza, and some large screens with advertising.
Yes. There is sooo much unused space there it's not funny. Thing is - it would probably need to look like part of the Kaneff property or it might look terrbly out of place. Something contrasting could work if done right, but even white brick/concrete w/ glass can look good if the design is right.

How would it work for the existing condo owners, as this would displace their parking and outdoor common areas. I guess there would be meetings and votes and they would all get some sort of credit, or condo fee reduction? Those on lower floors with very green views would lose that entirely and be barricaded behind whatever is built... maybe they buy those out and sacrifice a few units to be replaced with improved amenities, or connecting concourses to the new developments? The parking structures would probably need to be ripped down and re-build from scratch, as part of the new buildings... what a mess.

FutureMayor said:
I had an informal meeting Friday with a senior member of the project team for Downtown 21 and I believe once the official plan is released to the public you will all be blown away by what is being proposed.

First off, two of the GTA’s major residential and commerical developers are involved, in addition to a new Dubai based development company are all at the table. Together with the city intense planning is taking place on a coordinated development over 5 major properties in the identified new Mainstreet Neighbourhood. I suspect a new public-private Downtown Mississauga Development Corporation will be launched to quickly guide the project along quickly.
It's nice to know that good sized companies see this as worthwhile. My worry is that "developers" like to put their fingerprint on things and make it look like a "development", which itself would be a failure in my eyes. It should look as little like a planned development as possible, once complete. Anyone can do an Irvine Center or Markham "Downtown" - they're all lame in terms of feel and character.

FutureMayor said:
The most exciting proposal for the new district is this policy of banning any retail chains from locating along the new mainstreet. An innovate new program will be designed to attract and support a series of diverse, locally owned businesses, with a strong focus on ethnic resturaunts to open in the new district.
While this sounds mostly good, it would be completely appropriate if there was a Starbucks or Whole Foods or even a walk-in McDonalds. Most "downtown" areas have them. if all you have is quaint onesie-twosie local stores, you won't get the traffic to make this a success. If bigger name retailers want to put in a more boutique or flagship store, those anchors are important.

Other stores/restaurants I think make sense: (* smaller local)
Bark & Fitz *
Hollywood Gelato / La Paloma *
Fire Pit *
Cheesecake Factory
Starbucks / Tims / Lettieri
Burrito Boyz *
Roots
Cora's

Some local design & decor makes sense, a salon or two, definitely a Pho restaurant and probably sushi, shoe store(s), etc...

FutureMayor said:
Finally, I can also confirm that a new grocery store will anchor one of the phases of the project.
This is good news, but I hope it's not simply a pad site away from the rest, separated by parking. Whole Foods would be awesome, though a Longo's or Sobey's is more likely - hopefully it's more like the downtown stores with storefront at the sidewalk, U/G parking and such. The Sobey's at Empress Walk in NYCC is a good example of what I mean.

They've only got one shot at this, so I really hope they don't let the developers run amok with some cheese like Markham.

Sadly, that's no joke it's reality but hopefully, that will change. That street in Santa Monica looks great.

Okay clearly your version of reality doesn't jibe well with this Mississauga resident, or any other countless posts that have disproved the "no pedestrians in MCC" red herring.

Back