News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 438     0 

Downtown Markham

My other big issue for things like this is maintenance, is it covered for the winter as well ? I mean personally I'd prefer a water feature of some sort ...

The carousel will be in a glass-enclosed building, so it won't be directly exposed to rain and snow. There's supposed to be some kind of water feature just to the West of the carousel building. I'm thinking it might be along the lines of what you see on Sherbourne Street down by the water, but all I've seen is a rough top-down sketch.

I remember eons ago when the fountain at Markham and Steeles first opened up. People would put soap/detergent and the fountain would foam up. I wonder if that still happens.

I saw a couple of kids doing the same thing on the CNE grounds (not during the Ex) a few years ago. Funny stuff.

The carousel will be in a glass-enclosed building, so it won't be directly exposed to rain and snow. There's supposed to be some kind of water feature just to the West of the carousel building. I'm thinking it might be along the lines of what you see on Sherbourne Street down by the water, but all I've seen is a rough top-down sketch.

Still I'm worried about the maintenance overheard; Give it a few years when there are many more teenagers in the area; Should be fun times; Though it sounds like they can lock it up at night so that shouldn't be too bad. I guess I've just never seen the attraction of having a carousel. Would prefer a piece of art even if it wasn't interactive.

What's the design ? Same as the rest of Hi-way 7 I assume ?

I guess I've just never seen the attraction of having a carousel. Would prefer a piece of art even if it wasn't interactive.

That's because you're old now and you forget what it was like being a child. I'm sure any child would prefer a carousel to a piece of art. Hey, why not have both and make everyone happy.

What's the design ? Same as the rest of Hi-way 7 I assume ?

From the diagrams at the back of the PDF, it looks like dedicated bike lanes and lots of trees. Hopefully it turns out as nice as what's been done to the West.

42 meter right of way as well, thats huge. Twice the width of downtown streets. That said, it looks about as nice as you will get for a 6 lane road.

I've said this multiple times; There is 0 chance of Hi-way 7 ever having an urban feel ... sure it'll get built up, but you'll never have many folks walking on it. Nothing will change that and that's fine ..
Honestly you can already see it on parts further west that are now more built up with condos / offices fronting the street, but no one ever walks (less folks getting of transit).

The real focus should be on downtown Markham for that.

Anyway my point is its OK its a 6 lane road.

I've said this multiple times; There is 0 chance of Hi-way 7 ever having an urban feel ... sure it'll get built up, but you'll never have many folks walking on it. Nothing will change that and that's fine ..
Honestly you can already see it on parts further west that are now more built up with condos / offices fronting the street, but no one ever walks (less folks getting of transit).

The real focus should be on downtown Markham for that.

Anyway my point is its OK its a 6 lane road.

Yep. And as much as I want to be "green", I think even the bike lane is a bit of a waste. I just don't think it will get the usage to be worthwhile.

I miss the days when hwy7 had 70km/hr limit.

Honestly I think the redo of Hi-way 7 is a little of a waste, granted it looks nice, the dedicated transit lanes themselves are great (though I'm still worried usuage won't really go up but that's another story. BTW to date I've seen not 1 person use the bike lane ... less ** drum role ** my self once for fun ; - )
I drive a good part of hi-way 7 twice a to get to/from work.

To be fair its a little early to judge, next summer will tell us better

York University to Officially Announce Location of Proposed York Region Campus

TORONTO, Sept. 9, 2014 ‐ York University, in collaboration with The Regional Municipality of York, the City of Markham and academic partner Seneca College, will officially announce the location and provide important details about its proposal for a new campus in York Region, as it finalizes its submission to the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.

WHAT: Official Announcement of York University’s Proposed York Region Campus Location and Important Details

WHO: Mamdouh Shoukri, President and Vice-Chancellor, York University
David Agnew, President, Seneca College
Bill Fisch, Chairman & CEO, The Regional Municipality of York
Frank Scarpitti, Mayor, City of Markham
Lloyd Robertson, Master of Ceremonies

WHERE: The Remington Group Presentation Centre
162 Enterprise Blvd.
Markham, Ontario

WHEN: Thursday, September 11, 2 to 3pm
This is happening.

Honestly I think the redo of Hi-way 7 is a little of a waste, granted it looks nice, the dedicated transit lanes themselves are great (though I'm still worried usuage won't really go up but that's another story. BTW to date I've seen not 1 person use the bike lane ... less ** drum role ** my self once for fun ; - )
I drive a good part of hi-way 7 twice a to get to/from work.

To be fair its a little early to judge, next summer will tell us better

I agree that the number of pedestrians on highway 7, and Markham streets in general, will never be the same as downtown Toronto, especially during weekday work hours. But in the evenings and on weekends, you'd be surprised by the number of people you see walking, running, and biking... And it's really noticeable north of highway 7 on Village Parkway and Main Street Unionville.

I agree that the number of pedestrians on highway 7, and Markham streets in general, will never be the same as downtown Toronto, especially during weekday work hours. But in the evenings and on weekends, you'd be surprised by the number of people you see walking, running, and biking... And it's really noticeable north of highway 7 on Village Parkway and Main Street Unionville.

I was never comparing it to Downtown Toronto, or Y&E, or anywhere else in Markham for that matter; Unionville has a lot of pedestrian activity at all times of the day ! My point was hi-way 7 it self, I doubt will, ever ... hence redoing all the streatscapes is if anything something for car drives to look at as they drive by, it would have been better spent on downtown Markham it self, or main street / ... the other urban areas of York Region.

Back