News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 455     0 

Downtown Markham

2 cranes now up for Aviva, and a crane up for Signature. Once the second Signature crane is up, there will be 4 cranes on site.

With Aviva being around floor 3 right now the area is finally starting to look a bit more urban, or at least from the 407.

I need to return one of these weekends with my camera, but if you stand just south of Birchmount and 7 by the entrance to the plaza with the Whole Foods, you get a nice urban view down the soon-to-open Birchmount bridge across the Rouge. With Downtown Markham to the south, Uptown Markham directly to the west and the cluster of highrises near the Hilton beyond that, this area is definitely starting to feel more like a "place." This will be further reinforced once the midrises along the north side of 7 rise, not to mention the Sheridan redevelopment.

They've been working feverishly lately on the walking path along Enterprise as well. Looks like that will open up fairly soon.

Huge photo dump from Wednesday August 13th:

hCKSL3y.jpg

Cxs3ZJv.jpg

Vzucwxb.jpg

6PeV9js.jpg

Bh9ygpB.jpg

lYYRszS.jpg

k9Xw1mU.jpg

SVPVARM.jpg

zEzfZ7X.jpg

uScEoIV.jpg

xFRAhW3.jpg

7Wn10ak.jpg

FTsQ76i.jpg

I wasn't able to find a thread just for the Cineplex buildings, although there appear to be two threads [1] [2] for the Marriott Hotel & Signature Condos. The Cineplex complex is located at 169 & 179 Enterprise rather than 170 & 180 for the Marriott across the street. Could the mods could change the title of the inactive thread to accommodate the Cineplex complex? Most of the discussion there already revolves around it anyways. I'll post the photos here in the meantime:

10 August 2014 (photodump):

Cineplex Theatres by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr

The stretch of Civic Mall between Rouge Valley Drive West and Birchmount (south of Rouge Bijou & north of VIVA rapidway) is taking shape, and I'm loving it. Too bad there isn't retail on this stretch.

10 August 2014 (photodump):

Downtown Markham Civic Mall by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr

Honeywell Canada by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr

Really not a big fan of it ... never was, for the money I can think of many preferable pieaces of art I'd prefer.

My wife quite likes it, but I'm with you.

I read that Jane's Carousel in Brooklyn was what sparked this idea. That is perhaps an impossibly high standard to use as a comparison (given that it was a 25 year labour of love for the builders), but this is a letdown for me.

At this point I'm just hoping for the best.

Last edited:
My other big issue for things like this is maintenance, is it covered for the winter as well ?

I mean personally I'd prefer a water feature of some sort ( though I know that has maintenance issues as well ) but most cities generally do a good job of keeping such things running ( of course, most cities doesn't include Toronto .. that's OK though this is Markham ; - )

My other big issue for things like this is maintenance, is it covered for the winter as well ?

I mean personally I'd prefer a water feature of some sort ( though I know that has maintenance issues as well ) but most cities generally do a good job of keeping such things running ( of course, most cities doesn't include Toronto .. that's OK though this is Markham ; - )

I remember eons ago when the fountain at Markham and Steeles first opened up. People would put soap/detergent and the fountain would foam up. I wonder if that still happens.

My brain dump about public fountains.

EDIT: Another drive-in food truck event on September 27. :)

Last edited:

Back