News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 456     0 

Downtown Markham

Great news for Downtown Markham!
Hopefully York U becomes a vibrant part of the area and stimulates retail development.

If you drive along Enterprise, you can see that they have started to clear the land north-east of where the future central park will be. A bulldozer and excavator have been working in that corner since the end of May. Looks to me like they are starting to prepare the land for development. That would be the ideal location for a York campus in my opinion.

Last edited:
If you drive along Enterprise, you can see that they have started to clear the land north-east of where the future central park will be. A bulldozer and excavator have been working in that corner since the end of May. Looks to me like they are starting to prepare the land for development. That would be the ideal location for a York campus in my opinion.

I stand corrected.....
This article states that the new campus will be built on the approximate location where the proposed NHL Arena was to be built:
http://www.yorkregion.com/news-stor...nsit-focused-set-markham-apart-in-york-u-bid/

I wonder of they just moved some the institutional land to south of Enterprise with the hope of building office and residential to the north?

MasterPlan_PressRoom_final.jpg

I wonder of they just moved some the institutional land to south of Enterprise with the hope of building office and residential to the north?

I wonder if a university campus changes the zoning equation/ratios a bit. The "arena area" seems big enough for a campus of 5,000 students. But the long-term plans suggest this could grow to 20,000, to which you'd presumably have to factor in an additional 1,500-2,000 staff and faculty. I don't think the city planners will want the university to dominate the DTM zone as that would change everything, but they may need to increase the acreage designated for civic/educational use. If this project does move forward, I would expect a lot of the expansion in future phases to occur outside the Remington area. And perhaps that area in the top-right remains as-shown on this plan?

The top-right area is, I think, all accounted for in these private projects. If the GO station and parking is buried as planned, I supposed some of the campus expansion could go above. You make a good point though -- perhaps we will see a truly dense campus in Downtown Markham with a relatively small footprint. It's already adjacent to parkland, so you could start with a taller Ryerson-style campus without sacrificing much in terms of the "campus feel," etc.

MC_2008status.jpg

The top-right area is, I think, all accounted for in these private projects. If the GO station and parking is buried as planned, I supposed some of the campus expansion could go above. You make a good point though -- perhaps we will see a truly dense campus in Downtown Markham with a relatively small footprint. It's already adjacent to parkland, so you could start with a taller Ryerson-style campus without sacrificing much in terms of the "campus feel," etc.

MC_2008status.jpg

this map doesn't even have Pan Am center?

I guess the campus will start from SE warden/hwy7, and stretch to Pan Am center and YMCA

this map doesn't even have Pan Am center? I guess the campus will start from SE warden/hwy7, and stretch to Pan Am center and YMCA

The Markham Centre map is old (2008), and was likely created before any of the facilities were announced.

re: top-right corner
I was only referring to the Remington holdings (ie: "Downtown Markham"). So just the top-right corner of the master plan you posted, where you see orange buildings + adjacent soccer fields. You're right about the top-right corner of Markham Centre as a whole, but that's a larger area.

I imagine they'll want a fairly high density campus, but nothing crazy. I didn't mean to suggest that I thought they'd build a campus for 20,000 people on that arena land. Rather, I think they'll start with that space, and expect to see things spread out a bit in future development. I'm pretty sure there's land without concrete plans east of the Go tracks, not to mention space within the DTM and UTM projects. Even the plaza on the North-East corner of Warden/7 could possibly factor into this, as it has a limited life expectancy.

Anyone going to the drive-in event tomorrow? Not a huge fan of the movie, but really looking forward to Caplansky's for dinner. :eek:

Last edited:

Back