Downtown Markham by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr

Cineplex Theatres by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr

Aviva Canada by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr

Thanks as always, MafaldaBoy! Love the photos.

It looks like that heritage home is being restored, which is great. I'm also glad to see the Birchmount extension moving along. Hopefully it'll open this year.

Those long buildings in downtown Markham around 14 storeys are interesting. The contrasting colours are tastefully done, and the terraced podiums with prominent piers give them character. Their style evokes historicism, though ornamentation is minimalist. It's like a combination of conservative Dutch modern style with American Art Deco influences. They appear to be distinct to Markham--like the architects forged a new vernacular style for a suburb with a mostly conservative historicist urban fabric.

Ground floor of Nexus North/South is retail space correct? I wonder how they will handle car and traffic for those units. There's very few onsite parking for the two building without going underground.

I didn't realize they were that far along with the parkette. I need to walk around the area more often.

Information on the VIVA Rapidway running through Downtown Markham: PDF

aUhCffT.png

JpEKwvx.png

8iXrfhc.png

YGHgpU0.png

aaUthHV.png

wWstOly.png

rSVQuaz.png

8ckXKAL.png

Ei012wl.png

Ground floor of Nexus North/South is retail space correct? I wonder how they will handle car and traffic for those units. There's very few onsite parking for the two building without going underground.

I didn't realize they were that far along with the parkette. I need to walk around the area more often.

Yes the ground floor of the Nexus condos will be retail space. Not sure if they have any retailers lined up yet though as no announcements have been made as far as I know.

Parking for the retail in the Nexus buildings will be tricky. You are right, there are very few parking spots outside in the Nexus parking lot. However, in the underground there are tons of Retail parking spots reserved on P1. I also imagine that customers will also park along Verclaire Gate as there are many spots available on the street, especially during the day.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any updated info regarding York University's satelite campus in York Region? Which municipality are they choosing? Markham, Vaughan, or Richmond Hill? Earlier news articles suggested that a decision would be made in May.

Does anyone have any updated info regarding York University's satelite campus in York Region? Which municipality are they choosing? Markham, Vaughan, or Richmond Hill? Earlier news articles suggested that a decision would be made in May.

Yes I'm curious as well....

Election likely delayed it, all government decisions are essentially delayed until post election.

That means the decision should be coming any day now though, there is usually a huge news dump afterwards. For example, two transit projects issued their completed Enviromental assessments on the same day as they were completed over the election but not allowed to be released.

Even twitter activity from official government accounts is reduced to a minimum during elections.

Election likely delayed it, all government decisions are essentially delayed until post election.

That means the decision should be coming any day now though, there is usually a huge news dump afterwards. For example, two transit projects issued their completed Enviromental assessments on the same day as they were completed over the election but not allowed to be released.

Even twitter activity from official government accounts is reduced to a minimum during elections.

Is it a government decision or a York U decision? (Or a York U decision the government has to approve?)

Here's a Richmond Hill press release that says, yeah, the preferred muni should have been announced in May with a final decision by the province in September.
http://www.richmondhill.ca/subpage.asp?textonly=true&pageid=news_releases_04_25_2014

I presume that means it's York announcing the location, though that could still get tangled in election delays.

any government agency, and given that universities are public institutions run by the province, they can't make announcements. York U announcing a University expansion into Markham could increase the incumbents chances in the ridings surrounding it, for example. Basically anything that has possible political ramifications (anything in the public sector other than basic operations) is put on hold.

Great news (assuming it gets all the final approvals, etc.)! Looking forward to seeing some detailed plans.

The article linked to by Kafar notes the site being "adjacent" to the Pam Am Centre, while another mentions the Hwy 7 / Warden intersection, and another still suggests that multiple sites within Markham Centre were shown, on a mix of land owned by the public and private sector. It seems to me that Markham has said "here's a selection of what we've got available", but the specifics are TBD. This will undoubtedly be multiple buildings, and could wind up spread out across multiple land holdings.

This should be good for the diversity of the area, and a catalyst for retail development.

Back