News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 948     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

Work has restarted on the aborted Nutshell on King. According to the permits posted, it looks slated to become a Shopper's Drug Mart. Hopefully they carrey fresh produce as this area is not at all lacking for Shoppers but indeed is underserved for markets with fresh food and deli.

Freshco is opening up on Sherbourne South of Bloor (Where No Frills used to be, in the base of the new building that is currently under construction.

I was biking down Lakeshore and Bathurst two days ago and noticed work on the Loblaws site with cherry pickers and the massive doors opened up. Hopefully this means progress is finally underway for this much needed grocery store.

I was biking down Lakeshore and Bathurst two days ago and noticed work on the Loblaws site with cherry pickers and the massive doors opened up. Hopefully this means progress is finally underway for this much needed grocery store.
That has happened many times, lol. They regularly have to strap the bits that fall down. They put up the scaffolding years ago so now I don't get excited any more

They are actually moving forward with a new plan for the site (here is the final planning report). It's been endorsed by the Heritage Preservation Board and Toronto and East York Community Council, and is going to Council for final approval on March 31/April 1. I happened to be at the HPB meeting, and apparently Loblaws is now anxious to move forward.

There must be a thread for this project in the Projects & Construction thread.

ETA: The thread is here. Some renderings were posted earlier this year.

Last edited:
Loblaws has been anxious to move forward for years, although it does look like this time it's going to happen. Interesting that HPB is endorsing now; they didn't earlier. But if they don't do something, the building is going to be a total ruin.

The new Shoppers in the aborted Nutshell store on King:
Xm5K3tG.jpg

70ap0uU.jpg

I peeked over the papered windows and noticed the distinctive Shoppers pharmacy decor. It's hard to tell from this but it looks to be a mostly typical Shoppers with no fresh produce section. If there is, it's probably a small section of the overall store.

Thats really too bad. The area could really use an urban Loblaws store.

Why? Too lazy to walk 5 minutes to Queen and Portland? You folks downtown are spoilt brats: I often walk 1.5 km through the snow with my 6 bags of groceries here in the High Park area.

living downtown means walking more than 10 minutes to do anything is considered "far" - I am not kidding. I changed my family doctor because it is too far - about 1.5 km from my apartment, and chose one 700 meters away with PATH access. This is what we pay a premium/sacrifice space for - convenience and walkability. The closest grocery store to me is a metro, about 700/800 meters way, I have longed for a closer one for years.

You may have to walk for 1.5km for grocery, but that's your choice, and in return, you get larger living space I suppose and more green space, don't you? It is all about trading between pros and cons. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to walk 5 minutes to get grocery - that's what they pay for.

Well, I don't hesitate to walk 600 long metres to the Loblaws at MLG, even though I live at ROCP and have indoor access to Sobeys and Metro. And it is entirely possible that I will continue to do so after the College Park LCBO opens. :)

Yea I'll walk far for nicer grocery stores as well, but its also nice to have 3 small ones less than 200m away.

Back