News   Jul 11, 2024
 4.8K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 429     4 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 547     0 

"Downtown Core Line" - Possible Alignments?

What is your prefere alignment for a new E/W subway through Downtown

• Total voters
Independantly of all this, the province might commit to their promise to resurrect the Summerhil CPR station. 905 residents who work in midtown might switch to using GO transit from using the TTC.

905 residents? How about the hundreds of thousands of Toronto residents who live along its route? By bringing transit to the CPR line, northern Scarborough would be 15 minutes from midtown. Don Mills and Eglinton would be 5.

Without competition, 416 residents would benefit most from improved GO service. 100% of Scarborough, North York, and Etobicoke (except a tiny sliver along Yonge St.) lies within 5 km of an operating GO station. The subway will never provide the same level of coverage within Toronto. Up until the mid 2000s, Scarborough alone had more GO parking spots than the entire York Region. One could therefore deduce that Scarborough generated more GO riders than York Region right up until a few years ago.

Last edited:
Well, it let's people change from the GO to the subway at an alternative location to Union - which seems to work well at Vendôme station in Montreal, despite being able to also change later at Lucien-L'Allier.

It doesn't seem like such a good place to have an alternative transfer so close to Union. Gerrard would seem to be a more useful and practical location to have one.

Sorry for the absense, took some time to find the resources necessary to back up my point.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see. I am not wedded to the idea of a Front/Wellington alignment, that's where it looks logical to be on the map. But let's see when the studies come out.
You may not be wedded to a specific alignment, but seem adamant that it be south of King.

We'll have to see. It may still be cheaper to have a subway stop and a few buses feeding the neighbourhood than a whole LRT mini-network. Moreover, given the densities being projected for these neighbourhoods, I am skeptical that LRT will be enough. Queen's Quay and Lakeshore are going to become a dog's breakfast with the amount of LRT that might be needed to serve all these areas.
You haven't been following the public consultations for these areas. First off, a bus network in this part of town is a total non-starter. There are no bus garages in this area, and the Portlands carhouse for LRTs will be up and running in 2-3 years from now, this makes it far easier to serve the area by LRT than bus, nevermind the fact that downtown surface transit is streetcar-dominated already (which has operational implications and managerial impacts for TTC). Furthermore, the way the plans are devised is to make transit significantly attractive from the get-go with the community built from scratch. A bus simply isn't sufficiently attractive, nor would it be able to adequately cope with the capacity at points closer to downtown. Check the BA Group studies, they've got figures at countless intersections throughout the area (including East Bayfront). LRT is more than sufficient. I find it funny though, that you suggest a bus network and then backtrack in the same argument that an LRT network might not be enough (LRT carries more than bus, if you didn't realize). An LRT network won't do, yet one subway station will? I find this rather unrealistic. This kind of one-or-the-other logic is what has held transit back in Toronto for decades.

If that's the case it certainly hasn't been publicized heavily. The DRL only came up as a condition of the Yonge extension. And if GO was pushing for a TTC DRL how comes it ended up in the 25 year plan. If there's one agency you'd think would have influence on Metrolinx you'd think it would be GO.
The big blocker of the DRL is, ironically enough, TTC itself (I've gotten it straight from both senior TTC staff and senior Metrolinx staff).

Please do put up your sources for this. It's news to me that Union would max out after the upgrades....seems to me that would make the upgrades poorly designed.
I get most of my info on Union Station developments from Steve Munro. He sits on the committee that is behind the Union Station project. He talks about it on his blog sometimes, I'd recommend reading it once in a while.

Modifications have already been made to the design to accomodate more people, but at the expense of sacrificing retail space (the same retail space that was supposed to generate revenue to pay for the renovation/restoration). The other issue isn't so much a design of the station itself, but a limitation of the track space, which is considerably difficult to expand (nevermind the fact that platforms are already obscenely narrow at Union).

Again, I have never heard any official say we need the DRL to relieve the PATH. If you do have stats and articles please post. I do want to read about it.
Have you heard of the PATH expansion project already underway? Did you know that the Union subway station fare gate area is being re-designed to allow better pedestrian flow (and keep through traffic away from the fare gates) because pedestrian congestion is a problem currently?

That's as present. What happens once all those developments come in along the waterfront. How will those ridership numbers change? That's the question. What do you do if you have a job at the Portlands, West Donlands, East Bayfront? How would a subway on Queen help ya?
You act like the demand on King and to a lesser extent Queen is just going to disappear because of the Waterfront developments. That demand isn't going to fizzle, Downtown is so resilient at this point that the demand cannot possibly fade. If anything, as populations increase in surrounding areas, including King West and Queen West, like the Triangle for example, demand is only going to continue to rise. With the King car already over 3,000pphpd, which is overcapacity, we know the demand is there for a subway now, today, even yesterday.

You don't seem to understand that the catch-basin of the Lake Shore - Queen's Quay corridor is very narrow, too narrow for a subway. There is no way that LRT will not be able to cope with the demands of this corridor, especially considering that these areas are being redeveloped in a manner to encourage walking commutes, as that's something that is strongly promoted in the Official Plan. Furthermore, since it is a mix of employment lands and residential developments, you'll see bi-directional traffic demand, which is great because it allows both directions to be profitable to TTC at peak (and off-peak too, but it will be most pronounced at peak). Because of the demand split between incoming and outgoing, subway would actually be overkill, easily.

The Queen's Quay West service has already been cited by some people here as packed. What may not be obvious to everyone is that the TTC doesn't run enough cars on this route to accomodate the demand. There aren't enough cars to spare for additional service, either, since the whole streetcar system is suffering from a fleet shortage to the point that the TTC is expecting to supplement some service with buses spliced in among streetcar routes late this year. Once the new LRVs are finally here, Queen's Quay service should dramatically improve. Then there's Bremner.

Fair enough. Like I said, I haven't heard of Union maxing out. If it's true that should be a concern. But till the TTC or Metrolinx or GO starts talking about the upgrades being inadequate it'll be your word against that of the authorities.
As I said, I get it from Steve Munro, and since Steve Munro is an inside source on the Union plans, I consider him to be a valid source on the issue... an "authoritative source" I guess.

If our goal then is to relieve Union and GO is that concerned about it, surely 5 nodes are better than 2?
GAH!!! Give me a break, think about what you're saying here:

First; if two stations very conveniently connect to all but one of the other current lines in the network, what purpose do the other 3 serve?! NONE!

Second; if both lines go to the same place [Union], why in the world is one going to transfer to another line that goes to the same place?! THEY WON'T!

Sorry, but that argument was beyond non-sensical.

I don't think 5 minute frequencies is the goal of Metrolinx. GO can talk all that want. But if there's no plan on the table than we have to use the targets we have. That's not to say that GO can't be upgraded as an alternative to the DRL of course. That's just not the situation at present.

Metrolinx refers to Express Rail [Electrified GO] as having 5 minute frequencies in this Backgrounder on Technologies.

It's not intended to be an alternative to the DRL, but part of the argument that the DRL should not be run along the rail corridor because GO is potentially going to be providing such high levels of service along it anyway.

That's fine enough for that era. That does not mean that every subway line has to be built that way though.
Logic would suggest that it does actually. We have already seen what happens when we don't do it that way. Spadina (north of St.Clair West) is still carrying LRT levels of demand today, 30 years later. It's the upper echelons of LRT, sure, but still LRT levels. Sheppard is carrying even less. TTC loses money on these subways as they don't carry enough people to pay for themselves. By contrast, Bloor-Danforth and Yonge are profitable.

A DRL on Front/Wellington will divert many of those riders and subsequently reduce demand on those routes. The argument, I guess comes down to how many of those riders are local vs using Queen/King as through routes. The second argument comes down to how much new development will be there and whether that demand would exceed anything that's present on Queen and King right now. I am willing to bet it does. You disagree.
I point to the BA projections as proof.

What's clear from these projections is that demand on King and Queen, combined, is greater than demand on Lakeshore and Queen's Quay, combined, by the order of about 1000pphpd. Significant to note here as well, is that east of Sherbourne, the mixed-traffic LRTs are carrying more people than the dedicated ROW routes, yet the mixed-traffic routes have lower capacity.

While it is true that the demand seems to pick up west of Bay St. on Bremner and Queen's Quay, it is worth noting that King St. West is outside the scope of these projections, where the demand is highest on the King route (as identified in previous studies by TTC). Similar is true for Queen (as illustrated in this table based on the very recent TTC report/update on the Queen car from Steve Munro, the highest ridership is between Bathurst and Church (not surprising)).

Like I said it should be debated. I have seen arguments that Donlands might be a better terminus....ultimately, of course taking up to Don Mills and Sheppard would yield the best result.

Donlands alignment goes back to 1967. It has advantages with its proximity to the Greenwood Yard, but with regards to ridership, Donlands isn't that strong. Furthermore, the alignment of the DRL is likely going to be ultimately decided by the Don Mills LRT... since the most economical and obvious way to do it is to have them use the same corridor to avoid duplication.

How so? Have you driven/walked along the Sheppard subway route lately? And the only reason Sheppard suffers from lower ridership (that what it should have) is because it was not finished to Scarborough Town Centre. Had the line been completed, it would have been a different story.
Rubbish. The original proposal wasn't even supposed to go to STC anyway (it was only to go to VP when first proposed, STC came later). The reason demand is so poor is because there's no foundation for there to be decent ridership along the corridor between its two termini.

I was actually talking to somebody this past week who was closely involved with the Sheppard project. Before the recession hit, it was a P3. The plans he was talking about it in its P3 version were impressive and ambitious. However, all that disappeared when the recession hit. But Mel Lastman didn't seem to think that that mattered, and went out and got the line built anyway, even though everybody knew it was a money-loser.

If you want express service from Scarborough to midtown, talk to CP.

As for the Spadina subway, how is it not spurring new development. Vaughan is building an entire urban centre planned around one subway stop.
I remember reading a news article, I think it was in the Globe, a year or so ago, and it quoted a senior TTC staff as referring to the Vaughan portion of the subway as "horse shit!" That's a senior TTC staff's opinion, not mine. This is the result of then-TTC Chair Howard Moscoe's losing a game of financial chicken with the Province. This subway is going to be woefully underused for decades, and everybody knows it.

Like I said earlier, the Spadina line today is still pulling LRT-levels of demand north of St.Clair.

Moreover, are you challenging the fact that York U needs a subway as well? Or that it won't see further expansion because of the subway?
Considering that York U has already approved a bunch of low-density developments that fly in the face of what the subway is supposed to bring, no, it doesn't "need" a subway. Given that Finch West and Jane LRTs are going there anyway, that would provide a good level of service to the campus in their own right (of way).

That said though, the York U service might be the last chance for the Spadina line to redeem itself after years of poor performance. While I don't support the Vaughan portion of the extension, the York U service I can support, despite it not being "needed" strictly speaking.

Yet, we would choke Lakeshore and Queen's Quay with streetcars....possibly leaving them off worse than Queen today. And your assumption neglects the fact that a committment to providing a subway stop in those upcoming neighbourhoods would allow us to build even higher densities than planned.
This is crazy talk. Lakeshore/Bremner/Queen's Quay would not choke with streetcars. They'll have capacity to spare so long as the TTC assigns enough fleet to them. You grossly underestimate the capacity of LRT in a dedicated ROW and should get educated in the subject. LRT can carry almost half the demand a subway can. With LRT on both Bremner and Queen's Quay, they could theorhetically run subway capacity with that. They won't ever need that much capacity though, so they're in the clear.

Furthermore, it is pointless to argue that the subway would allow higher densities in this area when the Official Plan wants the kind of development that LRT typically brings (continuous development rather than nodal) when it comes to the waterfront, especially when we have higher densities in the core (King-Queen) already that the Yonge subway is struggling to service today... hey, wait, isn't that the reason we need a RELIEF line!?

Check page 7 in this PDF to see the map of hot spots for TTC service... as in where the relief would be most needed, in addition to southern Yonge.

This all-consuming obsession with focusing entirely on subways serving new development needs to stop because it is distracting us from serving an established corridor that is in dire need of relief. We know that this spur-new-development logic doesn't work. Bloor-Danforth and Yonge are the irrefutable proof and testament that existing busy streetcar corridors are where subways should go.

Page 8 on this PDF suggests that if the subway is going to service equally non-residential developments north and south of Union, it should be between King and Queen. To service the highest number of new residential developments should also run between King and Queen.

Sure, there's a couple of more condos in excess of 30 stories along the waterfront, but that doesn't out-number the huge number of 13-29 storey developments in the King-Queen corridor in addition to the existing activity in these corridors (as there's diddly squat today on Queen's Quay East besides the Guvernment). These are what's going to make the existing capacity shortage predicament on King much worse. They will continue to strain the Queen car further as well. The waterfront developments can be accomodated by LRT because their LRT will be at a much higher capacity than King/Queen by being in a dedicated ROW.

Furthermore, you aren't aware that there's actually a fair share of greenspace for the waterfront land use. Much more than what the core has, which is fairly limited.

Check out page 10 of this PDF to see what I mean.

The same actually applies for the Portlands. You previously asserted that the Portlands has 3.9 times the size of the financial district. That's only half the story, and it is rather disingenuous of you to not get into the other half of the story. If you actually go through the rest of the slide presentation, or even better, have attended some of the public consultations (as I have), there's a lot of green space in that area, far more than what you will find in the financial district. Part of this is accomodating natural flood cycles associated with the Don River. Then there's other land like the TPA facilities and the generating station that cannot be redeveloped since they're serving essential functions.

Here's a better overall look at land uses, and since Mixed Use is the best for transit (as it provides the best all-day usage), King/Queen comes out ahead for the best candidate. And it still hits a significant number of Regeneration Areas both east and west of the core.

Pages 8 and 30 in this PDF further suggest the actual destinations (which are also key contributors to all-day ridership) are more concentrated along King/Queen.

Since neither of us has the ridership numbers to show which is better it would have to be off development. I look at a map and I see most of the greatest densities south of King and even more growth planned along the Lakeshore.
See above, I just gave tons to counter this.

You were referring to crowd control not through flow of passengers. As far as I know the TTC ain't concerned about hostile commuters.
Crowd control and flow of passengers are directly related if not one and the same. Which part of that do you not understand?

That all depends on the modes of failure. As I have asserted, it would be highly unlikely that Union would becomes a smoldering hole in the ground in one go. Unless that happens, we are looking at single failures on each line. In that case a failure at Union would be no different than a failure at King or St. Patrick in terms of keeping service going. Balancing that risk are other benefits. For example, connecting that line at Union, allows GO commuters the choice of 4 TTC lines from which they move up from Front.
GO commuters aren't going to care about 4 TTC lines being available to them since TTC lines don't go where they're going, except maybe Richmond Hill passengers, but that would overload the Yonge Line anyway... the exact problem we are building the DRL to avoid. This is why I was referring to chain reactions earlier, but you insist that it's all make-believe.

How so? We are adding the DRL to provide extra capacity to accomodate riders from the north. Some upgrades could be required. But going back to the original point. How would upgrades not be required at the interchanges? Were the line to run down King or Queen, we would be creating 2 busy interchanges. Upgrades could well be required. However, all that'll only come out in the EA.
No, they wouldn't be required, because riders are being taken away from the existing stations via the DRL. By running the DRL between the King and Queen corridors, thereby serving both at the same time, people that are bound for King, Queen, St.Andrew, or Osgoode (despite Osgoode's low use) wouldn't be transferring at all, they take the DRL to their final destination. That would probably include a many of those that go to Union, depending on where along Front St. they're going (if it is a few hundred metres east or west of Union, the next DRL station east or west of Yonge or Uni, respectively, would be their station of choice). That leaves only riders bound for Dundas [St.Patrick] or College [Queen's Park] transferring to the Yonge [University] Line, which would be in the reverse peak direction, where spare capacity is already available. So you would not need to expand the capacity of the existing platforms, not like it is even possible anyway (there's building foundations on either side of the stations if you didn't already know... that's why it's under the road in the first place).

Surely this is a contradiction for you. Here, you've argued all along that we should minimize the amount people have to walk and build subways only to replace existing heavy demand corridors, than you assert we should build the subway half a block away simply to reduce a year or two of inconvenience.
Nothing contradictory about it. Bloor-Danforth does the exact same thing. So does Yonge at certain stations, like Wellesley, even Bloor station (Bloor is actually the station that deviates the farthest east of Yonge St. on the line... until the RHC extension is built).

Also, it is further less contradictory because the aim is to service both corridors equally with one subway.

But Yonge, runs on well Yonge St. and Sheppard on Sheppard. And none of those have suffered long term consequences from construction.
Yonge is not directly under Yonge between Alexander (just north of College) and Orchar View (just north of Eglinton), nor is it at York Mills station. Leslie station on Sheppard isn't directly on Sheppard either. And none of the Bloor-Danforth stations are directly under Bloor.

Sheppard was disruptive during construction, especially at Sheppard-Yonge.

It's irresponsible to just assume everything will be fine afterwards, when there are valid and available alternatives to disrupting a vibrant corridor. Luckily for Sheppard, it was never a vibrant corridor in the first place, so there wasn't that much to disrupt other than at Yonge St. Queen/King are a whole other animal. Those should not be disrupted.

I would dispute that it's absolutely critical. As long as the blocks are somewhat accessible, they'll survive without cars. They might have bad balance sheets for a year but they'll survive. Moreover, since most of their apparent patrons are transit users on a high demand corridor it's unlikely that they would see demand drop significantly. And hey, we can always avoid disrupting the whole area by just not building a subway there at all!
When I said "cars," I meant streetcars. When I put the route numbers right in front of the word "cars," it should be extremely obvious.
The aim is to avoid St.Clair-style consequences to business.
Furthermore, you refer to the transit users, and that was my main point that it is absolutely critical. You cannot keep the streetcars running continuously while construction is taking place if it is on the same street as the streetcars, because the stations would force it to detour, and that would leave the area unserved by transit... making it even more devastating for businesses, and killing demand in the corridor (because you'll never provide the same capacity by supplementary bus service).

You need to think more about what you're suggesting/supporting.

I am skeptical, folks are going to stop frequenting bars on Queen Street altogether because of construction or that major corporations will suddenly move entire office towers worth of staff because of construction They'll survive. Aside from which, this can't be an acceptable argument against construction. Wherever you plonk down the line, there's going to be disruption. Think about the disruption on Front!
This is exactly why I propose Richmond/Adelaide. I get the impression you are fairly unfamiliar with Richmond/Adelaide, which isn't surprising because there really isn't much reason for anybody to walk along Richmond/Adelaide. This is what makes it perfect for running the subway along!

You assume too much about the impacts of construction on businesses and their resilience to said impacts. The responsible action of minimizing the harmful impacts to the corridor from construction must be exercised, otherwise it is counter-productive to construct the corridor in the first place. "Let's build a high order transit corridor by destroying the ridership it is intended to serve in the process!":rolleyes:

Ultimately this all comes down to the numbers. And like I said we'll all have to wait and see. This is why I haven't voted for a preferred alignment. I will once I start seeing some information. As it stands, I lean towards Front/Wellington because of the all the development that is to come.
I've provided a fair bit of info for you now.
I don't buy the argument that we should not service new dense neighbourhoods with subways just to service corridors that have maxed out.
Then all I can say is that you're crazy. If we don't do something for the corridors that are maxed out, what do we do to address the problem of said corridors being maxed out? Just leave it as is and let it deteriorate further?! That's not a sustainable solution.

And I do think that there's more commercial development south of King which would rule out Queen for me (that's why I like Whoaccio's Wellington alignment). Moreover, building a subway further south leaves room to build a Queen subway in the future. The more the DRL moves north the less potency our argument will have for Queen getting its own subway later.
This is nothing short of outright absurd! Do you honestly think that the City would ever build both Queen and a DRL?! Even way back in 1967, over 40 years ago, the Queen subway proposals of the day were roughly taking the same shape as the DRL today (it went to Don Mills/Eglinton... gee, where have I heard that one before?!)! The Queen subway and the DRL have always been one in the same animal. This idea that we'll see both a DRL and a Queen Subway is pie-in-the-sky unrealistic if not outright insanity. There will never be both a Queen subway and a DRL, and nobody has ever seriously thought there ever would be, that is why the DRL must accomodate the demands of King/Queen. You are talking about reserving space for some subway that will never come, all for the sake of servicing the same corridor that GO Transit will be serving at some point down the line.

The argument doesn't fly.

You act like the demand on King and to a lesser extent Queen is just going to disappear because of the Waterfront developments. That demand isn't going to fizzle, Downtown is so resilient at this point that the demand cannot possibly fade. If anything, as populations increase in surrounding areas, including King West and Queen West, like the Triangle for example, demand is only going to continue to rise. With the King car already over 3,000pphpd, which is overcapacity, we know the demand is there for a subway now, today, even yesterday.

I've been basically saying that from the get go.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is nothing short of outright absurd! Do you honestly think that the City would ever build both Queen and a DRL?! Even way back in 1967, over 40 years ago, the Queen subway proposals of the day were roughly taking the same shape as the DRL today (it went to Don Mills/Eglinton... gee, where have I heard that one before?!)! The Queen subway and the DRL have always been one in the same animal. This idea that we'll see both a DRL and a Queen Subway is pie-in-the-sky unrealistic if not outright insanity. There will never be both a Queen subway and a DRL, and nobody has ever seriously thought there ever would be, that is why the DRL must accomodate the demands of King/Queen. You are talking about reserving space for some subway that will never come, all for the sake of servicing the same corridor that GO Transit will be serving at some point down the line.

The argument doesn't fly.

The Queen subway and the DRL have not always been the same animal. Check out the proposal from the Network 2011 plan.

The DRL needs to go where it will serve the most people and divert the most people from the Yonge line as possible. If that's Queen, King, Front, etc. then by all means build it there. There is so much to take into consideration when deciding this that we can't just stick to old plans or point to an alignment that looks good on paper. Everyone needs to keep our minds open until a detailed study is produced. The DRL will intersect/replace/run parrallel to so many established lines that it will completely change travel patterns downtown and throughout the city - not to mention that Transit City, improved GO Transit, residential/commercial development (wherever that may be), etc. will already change travel patterns significantly.

I guess what I'm saying is that we can pick an alignment that we think is best, but we have to be open to different options if they prove to be more worthwhile. Some of us are more informed about this stuff having spent years researching this sort of thing or working in this field. Others have less or different kinds of experience. We all need more information though, as does the city.

If we're going to spend billions of dollars on this line, we might as well study it as much as possible first before we make a decision about where it should go. We really need an impartial group to come in, collect and analyze data, and then make a suggestion.

The big difference with the 2011 plan was the technology of ICTS being applied for it. We should be glad that it wasn't applied, too... imagining the SRT running downtown is kinda comical. However the alignment doesn't deviate greatly from other proposals, it just went further south. It's broadly-speaking the same animal. You still would never have seen a Queen subway in addition to the ICTS DRL, had it been built.

The problem is trying to find that one cure-all solution in a subway line. There isn't one! Toronto/GTA really needs a few lines to meet the current need and needs for future growth. Recognizing this, and committing to this, means a system that can be better thought out for the long term.

The problem is trying to find that one cure-all solution in a subway line. There isn't one! Toronto/GTA really needs a few lines to meet the current need and needs for future growth. Recognizing this, and committing to this, means a system that can be better thought out for the long term.

So true. But I don't see even Metrolinx having such a "network" outlook.

Exactly. And this thread proves the point. We are trying to shoehorn a DRL to relieve Yonge/Bloor, a line to relieve the Queen streetcar and possibly a line to assist with waterfront growth all into one subway. A wiser entity would recognize the need to build additional lines in this scenario. Queen really should get its own LRT/HRT subway, independent of the DRL.

Yes, in reading through this thread and considering all the debate I keep coming to the same conclusion: many of the arguments seem accurate but the false need (well not 'false' in a practical sense) to distill everything to one line is not only impossible but could result in poor long term planning, compromising the 'logical' placement of lines in the current desperate attempt to get that one so-called 'perfect' line now in case we never get another chance.

Subway expansion in Toronto should provide for a southern line to accomodate growth in new areas, as well as a line mid-way between Bloor and Front (whether that's Queen or Dundas) to provide the adequate service needed if you're truly going to expect people in Toronto to forgoe the car and live their lives relying on mass transit to get around. Okay, now go to town on the fantasy lines and I'm sure the consensus around here will be far easier to reach, not to mention consensus among City Hall/TTC/Metrolinx and the other powers that be...

Subway expansion in Toronto should provide for a southern line to accomodate growth in new areas, as well as a line mid-way between Bloor and Front (whether that's Queen or Dundas)
I agree. And the question is what do we build now. I think it's simply Pape (or Eglinton to join the Don Mills LRT) to Queen (and perhaps Osgoode) link.

And I've said before, and say again, I think what you do in the south is simply break the Yonge-University line at Union. Run Yonge service to Union, and then on new track west along Front, to at least Spadina (initially), and University run east along Front, and towards the Donlands and Portlands. But I don't see that any of this should be in the 15-year plan.

I agree. And the question is what do we build now. I think it's simply Pape (or Eglinton to join the Don Mills LRT) to Queen (and perhaps Osgoode) link.

And I've said before, and say again, I think what you do in the south is simply break the Yonge-University line at Union. Run Yonge service to Union, and then on new track west along Front, to at least Spadina (initially), and University run east along Front, and towards the Donlands and Portlands. But I don't see that any of this should be in the 15-year plan.

Personally I see no reason to break YUS in half. By all means, we should build the DRL from Pape to Dundas west via Union, but the TTC isn't looking at bisecting YUS as far as I know, and I don't know any good reason to do so.

What is interesting is the disparity between the city's preferrence (Front alignment) and Metrolinx's preferrence (Queen alignment). It'll be interesting to see who wins out. Will it turn out like Transit City and the stubway, where the TTC does not get questioned at all? Or like the SRT, where Metrolinx appears to be slowly managing to move the TTC towards LRT instead of another ART system. I really do wonder, though, how the disparity has come up…particularly given that Metrolinx seems to have little to no inclination to challenge the city's and the TTC's numbers.

Back