1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Does anyone remember the Teleguides?

• Thread starter Long Island Mike
  • Start date
L

Long Island Mike

Everyone: I remember from my Toronto trips back in the mid 80s era computer terminals posted at strategic locations called Teleguides. for me it was an introduction to internet-or therabouts technology. They had good info on Toronto including features such as local news,weather and sports. I also recall that they were used in other cities-I recall info on them promoting San Francisco-once I was able to actually get into the SF info and access it thru a TOR Teleguide. When were they introduced and when were they removed and if anyone knows why? It was really neat technology for the mid 80s era. LI MIKE

Yes, I remember using one at the Thornhill Community Centre (Bayview and John), right around the same period.

I believe it was part of the wave of videotex service put out there in the dying days of the telcos' efforts to push X.25 as a (centrally-controlled) data networking standard, before the (edge-controlled) Internet finally overtook everything else.

In other words, another Minitel alternative -- I think the platform was known as Telidon. The Alex project pushed by Bell Canada, just a little bit later than that, used very similar technology, and was a more explicitly Minitel-style service.

(Minitel being the French implementation of this. France was one of the few places where it caught on, which was hailed as a great technological success there, but then got made fun of a little bit when that very success slowed early Internet adoption somewhat -- since they already had, after all, perfectly good information terminals in the home.)

Mid 80s was too early for me to use a computer, however I do remember seeing one, just one, movie at Thornhill Square. I'd love to see what's going on in the parking lot right now, however I've got no reason to go back.

The first of those (or something like it) I saw was, weirdly enough, at the just-reopened Kinoshita-ized ROM in 1982.

I found it fascinating, in a "look at all these places you can go to!" kind of way--but also oddly depressing, maybe because there seemed to be some corporate or governmental bureaucracy about it; or maybe because the age of electronic infinity wasn't all it was cracked up to be. A very "proto-Internet" experience, indeed...

Back