News   May 15, 2024
 141     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 

Despite what Ford says The Streetcar in Toronto is here to stay.

Sewer lines were not touch, but drains were installed between the rails of each tracks. These drains where place every few 100's feet.

New manholes were installed also.

There is not a real crown in the road anymore as the concrete between the tracks as well the 18 inches on the outside are flush.

When they pour the concrete for the traffic lanes, it was flush also.

Sewer lines were not touch, but drains were installed between the rails of each tracks. These drains where place every few 100's feet.

New manholes were installed also.

There is not a real crown in the road anymore as the concrete between the tracks as well the 18 inches on the outside are flush.

When they pour the concrete for the traffic lanes, it was flush also.

Thank you for clarifying.

Okay, I give up.
Post #256 is a movie that claims to display automobile traffic holding up a streetcar but traffic is obviously not having any such effect.
I viewed it and said Huh? Is this satire or an example of what some honestly consider to be a conflict, the poster is a Transit fan.
I am still waiting for some one to enlighten me with comments on this movie but none seem to be forthcoming, is everyone else as confused as I am?

Okay, I give up.
Post #256 is a movie that claims to display automobile traffic holding up a streetcar but traffic is obviously not having any such effect.
I viewed it and said Huh? Is this satire or an example of what some honestly consider to be a conflict, the poster is a Transit fan.
I am still waiting for some one to enlighten me with comments on this movie but none seem to be forthcoming, is everyone else as confused as I am?

Have you ever been on a streetcar? They go about 5 times as fast as that one was going when they don't have cars queuing up in front of them. If that streetcar had ROW, it would have made that journey in about a third of that time.

Whenever I'm going from Ronce to Lakeshore it always impresses me just how quick streetcars can go given the space.

The 512 Streetcar is actually quicker than cars now. The high number of stops does slow the service down, but pulling out stops is a non-starter. Every stop is used.

The 512 Streetcar is actually quicker than cars now. The high number of stops does slow the service down, but pulling out stops is a non-starter. Every stop is used.

Are you kidding me? It usually takes me 10 minutes to go 2.3km (St. Clair West Station to Dufferin). I'm sure a car is much faster than that. The 512 has way too many stops.

Are you kidding me? It usually takes me 10 minutes to go 2.3km (St. Clair West Station to Dufferin). I'm sure a car is much faster than that. The 512 has way too many stops.

I have vedio's on youtube that say the trip the trip can be done just under 8 minutes from Lansdowne to St Clair West.

There are only 2 stops along that section that should never been built, but otherwise, spacing is fine.

Just because there are stops along the section, it doesn't mean streetcars stop at everyone. They only stop to let someone on/off.

The 512 should travel at a higher speed as that was the whole idea behind builting it.

Just because a car can travel faster as claim by you, how many people are being move compare to a streetcar? At the same time, cars get advancing green over streetcars and that adds to the travel time of the streetcar.

^ I've been on a 512 overtaking cars in the Avenue Rd area. Of course, the outcome of a streetcar-vs-car contest will depend on the degree of congestion, which depends on the area and the time of day.

Regarding the stop spacing, 512 is a local feeder route, not a long-haul line; hence its stop spacing is rightfully tailored to local demand.

^ I've been on a 512 overtaking cars in the Avenue Rd area. Of course, the outcome of a streetcar-vs-car contest will depend on the degree of congestion, which depends on the area and the time of day.

Regarding the stop spacing, 512 is a local feeder route, not a long-haul line; hence its stop spacing is rightfully tailored to local demand.

But speed has an effect on local feeder routes too. If the downtown streetcars were faster, I would be more inclined to take them to the subway rather than walking.

Just because there are stops along the section, it doesn't mean streetcars stop at everyone. They only stop to let someone on/off.
From my experiences taking the 512 two to three times per week, it does stop at almost every stop because the streetcar is so full most of the time.

From my experiences taking the 512 two to three times per week, it does stop at almost every stop because the streetcar is so full most of the time.

So it's not a good idea to remove stops. Riders will just board at other stops, increasing dwell time, and negating any time savings from less stops. Like Rainforest said, St. Clair is a feeder route that caters to local demands.

But speed has an effect on local feeder routes too. If the downtown streetcars were faster, I would be more inclined to take them to the subway rather than walking.

512 St Clair certainly works better than downtown streetcars (except Spadina and maybe Bathurst).

Downtown streetcars are slow because they have no ROW and all traffic there is slow. In addition, they are not frequent enough, and are managed by trip completion (for the convenience of operators, so they end their shift at the same location every day), rather than by headways which would be much more convenient for riders.

So it's not a good idea to remove stops. Riders will just board at other stops, increasing dwell time, and negating any time savings from less stops. Like Rainforest said, St. Clair is a feeder route that caters to local demands.
Not if the line had proof of payment and signal priority.

Back