News   Jul 31, 2024
 56     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 307     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 281     1 

Deserving of Height

It is not worthy of being visible for miles around. It is not deserving of height.

It reads like an argument without any supporting features. Why not just say "I don't like it and wish it wasn't going to be tall." That would be clear. Otherwise, someone is going to ask about things like the stated worthiness. To say that a building is unworthy of being visible because you don't like it reads as - well - petty.

Personally, I don't like FCP's ungainly rooftop antennas, but they're still gonna be there.

It reads like an argument without any supporting features. Why not just say "I don't like it and wish it wasn't going to be tall." That would be clear. Otherwise, someone is going to ask about things like the stated worthiness. To say that a building is unworthy of being visible because you don't like it reads as - well - petty.

Oh, okay, maybe I'll just use scare quotes from now on for those of us who are prone to reduce written declarations to literal interpretations.

Like "Beauty is truth, truth beauty - that is all ye know on earth" and "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth"...

Remember that Trump's near-neighbour to the south was "dated" upon completion...the Bank of Nova Scotia...

Remember that Trump's near-neighbour to the south was "dated" upon completion...the Bank of Nova Scotia...

But it has stood the test of time, and is doing much better than the eyesore that is FCP. Whatever you want to call Trump: cheap, dated, derivative... I would have liked to see it loom over FCP.

I agree with the rebuttals about Trump being dated. Points well taken. Probably more honestly I can say that I just dislike Trump's design, and that's what it boils down to - a personal preference.

I don't care whether the tallest buildings on our skyline are office towers, or residences, or a mixture of both with a cultural institution and a few floors of retail thrown in for good measure. Nor does it concern me when a new tall building is set apart from the main grouping of towers on a skyline - it draws attention to the space between the older buildings and the new tower, and sets up a new visual dynamic.

Simcoe Place is a better example - err, was a better example (pre-downtown condo boom). Simcoe Place was never the tallest building, but the height and position perfectly played off the SkyDome/CN Tower on one side and the very tall and dense MINT towers on the other side.

I thought this thread was going to be about the game developers play with the city, by asking for a certain height knowing the city would require them to reduce it, but what we see is developers lopping off floors to please the shadow-fearing politicians. Personally I don't think there should be any height restrictions at all in the downtown core. But I guess one's definition of the 'downtown core' can vary.

Flying into Pearson early yesterday evening across the north end of the city, First Canadian Place was the most prominent tall structure seen in the downtown core after the CN Tower - mostly because of the lighting conditions of the moment. More than anything else, though, I was aware of how the cluster of downtown towers have clumped together, visually, with each new addition over the years to form a unit - and the TD Centre has now almost completely disappeared from view when seen from that perspective. The vastness of the low-rise residential neighbourhoods ( not just in the suburbs ), contrasted with the towers downtown and along the subway lines, always startles me - and seems to be becoming more pronounced.

Back