News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Debate on the merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension

Don’t forget transfers, Syn! Nobody should ever have to transfer from one rapid transit line to another.

You shouldn't have to transfer from one rapid transit line to another going in the same direction unless it's outside the boundaries of the city. Remember, with the transfer LRT plan, the capacity for the crosstown is 15,000 PPHPD, however, the LRT will have to split at Kennedy, cutting capacity in half. The expected usage of the SSE is 7,500 PPHPD. If there are to be no transfers with the LRT plan and interlining occurs, the capacity will be 7,000 PPD. Either it's a transfer LRT which no one wants (it slows down trips from the STC by at least 10-15 minutes, even longer once you consider that the existing corridor cannot be used) or a subway to the STC that cuts off a few Scarborough users at Lawrence West.

I live downtown, and have tons of parkland around me, from Riverdale Park, Wellesley Park, Corktown Common, Regent Park field, Allan Gardens, David Crombie Park, etc.

I just came back from Seoul, Hong Kong and Taipei. I spent a lot of time walking these downtown areas and saw none of the leafy green streets and urban parks I see in downtown Toronto.

Perhaps you're focused on condo projects along Gardiner/Rail Corridor? Sure, they don't have a lot of parks, because they never did, it's never been parkland. It's an industrial rail yard converted to forest of apartment buildings.

I forgot to add the sarcasm tag.

Would you suppose the hundred of thousands of Scarborough residents that oppose the thing are also working to undermine Scarborough? Or do those people not exist in your world?

Why would you assume those that don't like the one stop subway, want the rejected transfer plan? The fact that the transfer plan is still alive is not because of this small inner Scarborough minority Its by in large the Downtown Left council and a friendly media. Most residents would have been happy with the connectivity of Glen Murrays subway or connected LRT. Unfortunate they didn't move forward as no one is all that thrilled with the LRT hack and the Subway with no stops. Two bad plans are not worth debating any further and Torys plan will walk away at election time for this reason that people are not really interested in transfer LRT

Torys plan still offers two separate connections to Downtown from Scarborough, the start of the subway loop around Sheppard (also heavily supported by the majority), extending the LRT further and now seamlessly on Eglinton East to UTSC, and starting the DRL. No reason to go jeopardize any of this with the Feds at the table and attempt to backtrack even with the sad removal of stops.

What matter to me is the majority vote of the residents in this massive suburb matters, connectivity to the City Centre matters and moving forward in a divided council matters. No need to try to frame things otherwise

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to transfer from one rapid transit line to another going in the same direction unless it's outside the boundaries of the city. Remember, with the transfer LRT plan, the capacity for the crosstown is 15,000 PPHPD, however, the LRT will have to split at Kennedy, cutting capacity in half. The expected usage of the SSE is 7,500 PPHPD. If there are to be no transfers with the LRT plan and interlining occurs, the capacity will be 7,000 PPD. Either it's a transfer LRT which no one wants (it slows down trips from the STC by at least 10-15 minutes, even longer once you consider that the existing corridor cannot be used) or a subway to the STC that cuts off a few Scarborough users at Lawrence West.

Then why do I have to transfer to the Spadina Streetcar to continue heading south on Spadina?

Why wouldn't I expect to have to transfer at Kennedy when I'm heading north to get to STC?

Using the RT has never seemed unusual or unfair to me. It makes complete sense that I'd have to transfer.

Then why do I have to transfer to the Spadina Streetcar to continue heading south on Spadina?

Why wouldn't I expect to have to transfer at Kennedy when I'm heading north to get to STC?

Using the RT has never seemed unusual or unfair to me. It makes complete sense that I'd have to transfer.

Completely different scenarios. The Spadina streetcar is a local service, not rapid transit. You should not have to transfer between rapid transit and rapid transit while going in the same direction.

The majority of Scarborough density is north, and because it's the Eglinton Crosstown's job to go further east.

If you have the opportunity to get rid of a pain in the ass, why wouldn't you? Transferring at Kennedy adds a lot of time to one's commute, and adding extra stations that see fewer than 3K people per day makes no sense along grade-separated rapid transit. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

It may have made sense to transfer back when there was no usage along the corridor, now that 40K people use it daily, is it not fair to upgrade what is there to something that will last just as long? I would support the LRT more if it weren't for all the complications, including Eglinton East.

You know the topic is divided when you have these questions at the bottom of the Ask Metrolinx Questions.
Engage Votes.PNG

Attachments

• Engage Votes.PNG
    Engage Votes.PNG
    22.7 KB · Views: 224
Completely different scenarios. The Spadina streetcar is a local service, not rapid transit.

Yes, and why is that? It's about the same length as the RT. Higher ridership. Why do I have to get off the subway to continue heading south?

The SSE shuts out access to rapid transit for many residents who can access it now.

Smart Track will address transfer free travel from Scarborough to downtown.

If you have the opportunity to get rid of a pain in the ass, why wouldn't you? Transferring at Kennedy adds a lot of time to one's commute

Transfers are a reality of transit use. The RT transfer is actually quite pleasant compared to other transfers in the system.

Not only does it not add a lot of time to one's commute, it offers a lot of flexibility. The SSE is what will add a lot of time for many people's commute, as there won't be be any other stops. All of the people who use Lawrence Station will lose access to Rapid Transit.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

This project is the very definition of the needs of the few taking precedent over the needs of the many.

I'm sure Spock would agree this extension is highly illogical (just as you do).

You should not have to transfer between rapid transit and rapid transit while going in the same direction.

But you aren't going in the same direction. You're heading north.

If I want to go to Yonge and Davisville, I get off at Yonge and Bloor and transfer to a northbound train.

This why I have no problem transferring when I want to head north to STC.

It may have made sense to transfer back when there was no usage along the corridor, now that 40K people use it daily, is it not fair to upgrade what is there to something that will last just as long? I would support the LRT more if it weren't for all the complications, including Eglinton East.

Current ridership comes nowhere close to justifying a subway.

If it does, then we should've built a Spadina South extension years ago.

Just upgrade the current RT. Problem solved.

The transfers in Transit City were a reality of very poor planning. Having a transfer before a major future growth node and another after a short subway stub is far from acceptable planning and should have been avoided unless no other options existed. There were options to connect this Centre to existing infrastructure

• If LRT was implemented on Sheppard instead of the current subway then the full SELRT to the SCC growth node would make sense. It wasn't and there is no intent to modify back to LRT.
  • If LRT was preffered to SCC instead of the BDL because of so called "poor ridership" it could have been connected seamless to the Crosstown. Given the BDL also already exists the subway on the RT corridor would have provided another solid solution

Crazy to read these poor transfer placements defended as sound planning. Whether other areas of the City are impacted by poorly placed transfer or not it doesn't make it justified as good planning here. Transfers are certainly part of any transit system but they also impact riders and great attention should be given to where they are placed rather than simply accepting transfers as a the norm.

Last edited:
Yes, and why is that? It's about the same length as the RT. Higher ridership. Why do I have to get off the subway to continue heading south?

The SSE shuts out access to rapid transit for many residents who can access it now.

Smart Track will address transfer free travel from Scarborough to downtown.
Comparatively, how many? The only major issue is the lack of a station at Lawrence East. Ellesmere, Midland and McCowan have very insignificant ridership and are so close to the STC that it just makes more sense to funnel passengers there.

Also, I must add that Smarttrack is vastly overstated at this point. We have no way to guage how RER will work in our environment, and RER cannot be built in Scarborough if the existing LRT plan is kept. This is one of the major arguments for building the subway; it allows for Smarttrack to be built (Also, I hope it gets a better name. Even regional rail would be better than "smarttrack")

Transfers are a reality of transit use. The RT transfer is actually quite pleasant compared to other transfers in the system.

Not only does it not add a lot of time to one's commute, it offers a lot of flexibility. The SSE is what will add a lot of time for many people's commute, as there won't be be any other stops. All of the people who use Lawrence Station will lose access to Rapid Transit.
Again, not in favour with the loss of Lawrence East station, but we're just transit geeks arguing on UT because we have no lives and no one will listen to us. There is no denying that transfers are a reality of transit use, but they should not be burdens or impediments. With our grid system, you should be able to make at most 3 transfers and get anywhere in the city: A bus to a subway station, the subway to a transfer station, the subway to another station, then a bus to your final destination. If you add extra lines and convoluted transfers into the mix, you make commuting longer and more convoluted for everyone. Case and point: The Sheppard subway. Part of its failure is that it's so short; it's really only a shuttle between Don Mills and Sheppard Yonge. It adds a transfer at Don Mills for incoming buses, requires you to transfer to the subway for no reason, then transfer again. It's a huge pain in the ass for most commuters so many will take buses to Finch station or York mills and avoid the Sheppard Subway altogether. The situation for the SSE is even worse; the major bus terminal is at the STC; the majority of people that use the RT transfer to buses (Lawrence East and STC), and in order to get to those buses, you have to make an extra transfer at Kennedy which is not only infuriating for most commuters, but a huge disincentive for many. I believe having the subway continue north along McCowan makes the most sense for line 2 because Danforth road heads north on its way to Kennedy, and it makes sense for the subway to continue north. It makes even more sense when you consider the fact that Eglinton East is a thing that will likely be built, and it is more suited to east-west travel than the Bloor Danforth line is.

This project is the very definition of the needs of the few taking precedent over the needs of the many.

I'm sure Spock would agree this extension is highly illogical (just as you do).
We both agree that the DRL from Osgoode to Sheppard should be the greatest priority of the city, however, we cannot disenfranchise citizens with existing rapid transit. That's highly illogical for all politicians, as they would lose votes, and it's a bad idea when trying to keep cars at the Gardiner (30K extra cars on the DVP would be atrocious for the road itself, parking requirements downtown, and of course, the environment).

Maybe this is less of a Spock moment and more of a Sisko moment, especially considering the circumstances.

But you aren't going in the same direction. You're heading north.

If I want to go to Yonge and Davisville, I get off at Yonge and Bloor and transfer to a northbound train.

This why I have no problem transferring when I want to head north to STC.
Although true, Eglinton East is heading East, the only logical direction for Line two to go is north. Again, considering capacity constraints if they move forward with an interlined LRT plan, it makes even more sense. It doesn't make sense to have to transfer along a route in which the vast majority of people are taking.

Current ridership comes nowhere close to justifying a subway.

If it does, then we should've built a Spadina South extension years ago.

Just upgrade the current RT. Problem solved.
It's actually in a really interesting place right now: ridership is actually high enough that LRT would be severely crush loaded, but not high enough to make a 6 car BD subway train standing room only. We're seeing capacity issues with the King Street Pilot. Currently, it's carrying about 3K PPHPD during peak times, and those trains are crushloaded and arriving every 1.5-2 minutes. Imagine what it will be like for a line requiring capacities of 7.5 PPHPD during peak times for lets say 3 car trains arriving every 6 minutes. I see huge capacity issues from the day it opens.

They would have built a Spadina South extension plenty of years ago had it not been for the construction of the University Subway, but nevertheless, Spadina is way too close to University to warrant a subway. Build it on Bathurst or between Spadina and Bathurst since the exits could probably be accessed from both streets.

Although that would be sensible fiscally, we still have the corridor issues along the Stouffville sub that makes that option impossible without elevating a line without tunnelling (which actually wouldn't be a terrible idea along that corridor...Think about it: extend the subway along the Stouffville sub, but build it as a cut and cover line when they upgrade the line. Everyone's concerns are taken care of)

Remember, with the transfer LRT plan, the capacity for the crosstown is 15,000 PPHPD, however, the LRT will have to split at Kennedy, cutting capacity in half. The expected usage of the SSE is 7,500 PPHPD. If there are to be no transfers with the LRT plan and interlining occurs, the capacity will be 7,000 PPD.

Wait, those capacity numbers for SLRT can't be right. With the Transit City proposal it was to be a standalone line - i.e with a base capacity of ~15k pphpd (which could naturally be increased by upping the frequency). With the Ford-McGuinty Eglinton-Scarboro Subway it would've been the same capacity. Base 15k that could be increased by upping the frequency. Not sure where this 7k capacity is coming from.

Wait, those capacity numbers for SLRT can't be right. With the Transit City proposal it was to be a standalone line - i.e with a base capacity of ~15k pphpd (which could naturally be increased by upping the frequency). With the Ford-McGuinty Eglinton-Scarboro Subway it would've been the same capacity. Base 15k that could be increased by upping the frequency. Not sure where this 7k capacity is coming from.

We are no longer in the times of Transit City. Many advocates for the LRT plan claim that the LRT would have interlined with the Eglinton Crosstown. The 7k capacity numbers are considering a system where half the trains travel down Crosstown East and the other half up the RT corridor. With switch dwell time at Kennedy Station, the initial capacity was rounded down from 7.5K PPHPD. Logically, it makes no sense to build an LRT stub line from Kennedy Station to the STC as a simple shuttle. It would allow for more capacity, but would also take away the interlining option, which, I believe, is the only way to convince Scarborough Subway users of the LRT plan's legitimacy. However, it would be severely overcrowded, and Eglington itself would be so overcrowded that no one would be able to get on the LRT west of Kennedy. Although Line 3 is carrying fewer people than the sheppard subway (a line that is a kilometer shorter than Line 3), it's peak-hour usage is higher (Sheppard -- 5.5-6.5 PPHPD, Scarborough -- 6.5-7.5 PPHPD). If Eglinton ends up running from Pearson to the STC and UTSC, an alternative I see is running shuttle trains from the STC to Kennedy, however, this would create its own set of complications; it would be extremely difficult to schedule these trains in and would likely screw up the way Eglinton is run.

We are no longer in the times of Transit City. Many advocates for the LRT plan claim that the LRT would have interlined with the Eglinton Crosstown. The 7k capacity numbers are considering a system where half the trains travel down Crosstown East and the other half up the RT corridor. With switch dwell time at Kennedy Station, the initial capacity was rounded down from 7.5K PPHPD. .

By "Transit City" proposal I was using a general monicker for the most recent S(L)RT carried over from pre-2010. Afaik it wasn't to split service or interline at Eglinton. The whole SLRT was to be a standalone line. Maybe in the far future a possible interline with SELRT, at least for non-revenue service. But aside from that the SLRT was to have no track connection at Eglinton East, Eglinton East East (former Malvern LRT), or at Sheppard East. It was a standalone line, built for either 90 or 120m trains, and fully automated. Using crush load metrics like that proposed for Line 1, the thing could've carried 20k pphpd. Capacity, frequency, or general line attractiveness/reliability were not an issue. In this millennium at least. Unless I'm wrong, but am fairly confident that SLRT evolved fairly quickly to being a single line not connected any other.

Reactions: syn
By "Transit City" proposal I was using a general monicker for the most recent S(L)RT carried over from pre-2010. Afaik it wasn't to split service or interline at Eglinton. The whole SLRT was to be a standalone line. Maybe in the far future a possible interline with SELRT, at least for non-revenue service. But aside from that the SLRT was to have no track connection at Eglinton East, Eglinton East East (former Malvern LRT), or at Sheppard East. It was a standalone line, built for either 90 or 120m trains, and fully automated. Using crush load metrics like that proposed for Line 1, the thing could've carried 20k pphpd. Capacity, frequency, or general line attractiveness/reliability were not an issue. In this millennium at least. Unless I'm wrong, but am fairly confident that SLRT evolved fairly quickly to being a single line not connected any other.

Is that so? There has always seemed to be this status quo that it would be directly part of the Eglinton crosstown LRT. It was known as the Eglinton Scarborough LRT (although, this was after Transit City was canceled).

Crosstown_system-map_v3-w-stations.jpg

I assumed that this notion of it still being part of the Eglinton Crosstown, if it is built, would still be there, even if Eglinton East is built.

Attachments

• Crosstown_system-map_v3-w-stations.jpg
    Crosstown_system-map_v3-w-stations.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 369
Comparatively, how many? The only major issue is the lack of a station at Lawrence East. Ellesmere, Midland and McCowan have very insignificant ridership and are so close to the STC that it just makes more sense to funnel passengers there.

Also, I must add that Smarttrack is vastly overstated at this point. We have no way to guage how RER will work in our environment, and RER cannot be built in Scarborough if the existing LRT plan is kept. This is one of the major arguments for building the subway; it allows for Smarttrack to be built (Also, I hope it gets a better name. Even regional rail would be better than "smarttrack")

If ridership is so insignificant that you can eliminate all stops between Kennedy and STC, then there clearly isn't any sort of real planning justification for a subway.

Smarttrack is exactly what's needed for Scarborough's environment, and the best option for fast travel downtown.

We both agree that the DRL from Osgoode to Sheppard should be the greatest priority of the city, however, we cannot disenfranchise citizens with existing rapid transit. That's highly illogical for all politicians, as they would lose votes, and it's a bad idea when trying to keep cars at the Gardiner (30K extra cars on the DVP would be atrocious for the road itself, parking requirements downtown, and of course, the environment).

I understand why not supporting the subway is politically unfeasible at the moment, but suggesting that people are disenfranchised because they have to use the RT is ridiculous.

Having the RT is a tremendous privilege, one that other suburban nodes in the city don't have the benefit of.

Are the residents of the Sherway area disenfranchised because they don't have a subway nor LRT?

If one truly cares about building transit for Scarborough's future, this one stop plan is the worst option on the table.

Is that so? There has always seemed to be this status quo that it would be directly part of the Eglinton crosstown LRT. It was known as the Eglinton Scarborough LRT (although, this was after Transit City was canceled).

View attachment 135185
I assumed that this notion of it still being part of the Eglinton Crosstown, if it is built, would still be there, even if Eglinton East is built.

@44 North is correct.

The fully funded LRT plan that was ready to go and 2010 (and would've been done by now) went directly from Kennedy to STC (and beyond). The Scarborough-Malvern LRT was an extension of the Eglinton Line.

Capture.png

Back