News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 438     0 

Debate on the merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension

How do you think people get downtown? I guarantee you that if the Subway didn't extend beyond St Clair, the Yonge line would have the ridership levels per km of most world subway systems. Downtown is walkable, has streetcars, PATH, and large sidewalks and bike lanes. People living down there won't take the subway 2 stops when they can walk or bike; it's not cost-effective. Here's some numbers:

View attachment 132124
The Length of the Yonge Line Downtown
View attachment 132125
Bloor Line Length through Downtown
View attachment 132126
The numbers. If you subtract suburban ridership from downtown ridership, you get 220,390 passengers in the downtown area (assuming suburban riders have no choice but to use an automobile to get downtown, or use an express bus). Those counts also include transfers, but I didn't remove the SS and Line 3 to Line 2 transfers. They completely skew the results but you can still see that the ridership for 15 km of subway line is pathetic for Toronto. Don't ever give people shit claiming that the suburbs are not for subways, because the way this city is built, the subway in the suburbs is what keeps downtown alive.

With regards to your first comment, everyone here hates the current Scarborough subway extension, but the idea of a rapid transit extension, subway or LRT is having the merits discussed. Also, I proved earlier that large numbers of stops in suburban areas do nothing to help with rapid transit ridership, LRT or subway. What does is access to surface transit. This is why the Bloor Danforth line and Line 1 have such high ridership compared to other suburban-built cities (Unlike Montreal, New York, etc). There are reasons why the subways in Philadelphia, Boston, and Baltimore have relatively crappy ridership; there are no surface connections in the suburban portions, and the lines are only built to serve urban areas. LRT is great for moving people between suburbs, but not between downtown and the suburbs.

Also, what are you talking about with regards to Vic Park, Warden, and Kennedy? Those are the highest used stations on the BD line east of Broadview, and on top of it, they're aboveground.

No one is saying suburbanites shouldn't use the subway. There's a very big difference between suburban access and building subways in the suburbs. - I'm saying that Scarborough does not have the density nor ridership to justify this ridiculous multi-billion dollar extension.

Scarborough already has two subway stations, and a 3rd right on the border with Don Mills.

And we've already discussed stations like Vic Park and Warden - how far apart are they from each other? You keep cherry picking ridership numbers and ignoring context.

Vic Park to Kennedy is about 6.5km - 7km.

Broadview all the way to Main Street (the station before Vic Park) is just 5km.

What's the ridership difference?

Vic Park - Kennedy: 128,140
Broadview - Main Street: 129,800

What a surprise. The stations in a shorter, denser area have higher ridership.

And really, Vic Park should be counted along with Main - the urban grid essentially ends there.

Despite the distance between Vic Park, Warden and Kennedy, numbers for Warden still don't really compare to areas in the city. Dundas West to Dufferin is just 1.6km and it services nearly 79,000 riders.

This SSE extension is 6km for just one extra station, and the projected ridership numbers (for 2031 mind you) are terrible.

LRT is great for moving people between suburbs, but not between downtown and the suburbs.

I agree. So build a comprehensive network in Scarborough, and people who want to go downtown can take GO Transit, or get on subway at Kennedy if they really want to. Or, you can even stay on the Crosstown East LRT and head straight to the Yonge Line.

As per city stats, 77% of all transit trips beginning in Scarborough are not ending/going downtown.

Last edited:
No one is saying suburbanites shouldn't use the subway. There's a very big difference between suburban access and building subways in the suburbs. - I'm saying that Scarborough does not have the density nor ridership to justify this ridiculous multi-billion dollar extension.

Scarborough already has two subway stations, and a 3rd right on the border with Don Mills.

And we've already discussed stations like Vic Park and Warden - how far apart are they from each other? You keep cherry picking ridership numbers and ignoring context.

Vic Park to Kennedy is about 6.5km - 7km.

Broadview all the way to Main Street (the station before Vic Park) is just 5km.

What's the ridership difference?

Vic Park - Kennedy: 128,140
Broadview - Main Street: 129,800

What a surprise. The stations in a shorter, denser area have higher ridership.

And really, Vic Park should be counted along with Main - the urban grid essentially ends there.

Despite the distance between Vic Park, Warden and Kennedy, numbers for Warden still don't really compare to areas in the city. Dundas West to Dufferin is just 1.6km and it services nearly 79,000 riders.

This SSE extension is 6km for just one extra station, and the projected ridership numbers (for 2031 mind you) are terrible.

I agree. So build a comprehensive network in Scarborough, and people who want to go downtown can take GO Transit, or get on subway at Kennedy if they really want to. Or, you can even stay on the Crosstown East LRT and head straight to the Yonge Line.

As per city stats, 77% of all transit trips beginning in Scarborough are not ending/going downtown.

For what has to be the 20th time, no one here likes the current subway proposal. People just want a transfer free trip from the STC to the Yonge line or the DRL, nothing more. And if you're going to talk about density, look at the Spadina line, the Bloor line outside of downtown, The Yonge Line between St. Clair and Bloor Yonge, etc.

Here, I am not cherry picking numbers. Those are the only subway stations in Scarborough. The subway runs aboveground between those three stations, you don't have to pay for the costs of maintaining tunnels, and fewer stations means much cheaper operating costs. It's much more efficient to run a subway this way.
Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 9.29.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 9.30.45 PM.png

Your numbers are complete bullshit with regards to subway distances.
They are pretty much the exact same distances, and the ridership is basically the same. (Ridership counts are done one day every year, so a difference of about 2000, especially considering that you're comparing 8 stations to 3, is completely within a margin of error).

Which section of line has higher operating costs? The Broadview-Main corridor or the Vic Park-Kennedy corridor? For starters, the Broadview-Main corridor has 8 stations, and is underground. The Vic Park to Kennedy corridor has 3 stations and is completely aboveground. The Vic Park to Kennedy corridor makes the TTC significantly more money than the Broadview-Main corridor.

Here's the big difference between Dundas west-Dufferin and Vic Park-Main, Dundas West-Dufferin has 2 streetcar routes (2 of the busiest in the city I might add), more rapid routes, more frequent bus routes, GO lines, and UPX feeding into it. More surface connections == more ridership, period. On top of that, they're employment centers, another factor greatly influencing ridership. People get off there and get on there during rush hour.

Warden is huge, nearly 30,000 riders per day. That's better than Wellesley, Nearing Bloor-Yonge without the transfer, Rosedale, Summerhill, Davisville, Lawrence, York Mills, Sheppard Yonge without Sheppard Subway users, and North York centre. It also happens to be better than Ossgoode, Museum, and nearing the ridership of St. Patrick. The station has better ridership than Dundas West, Lansdowne, and is close to dufferin.

For the trillionth time, the current plan is utter shit, but that doesn't mean higher order transit isn't needed in the suburbs. Build the subway extension along the hydro corridor for half of it or as a viaduct. It would save money, have more stations and would still reap all the benefits of grade-separated transit (especially bus terminals).

Taking GO transit downtown makes no sense from Scarborough for a few reasons:
1. It's slow as hell going into Union because of train traffic
2. Trains are already packed with commuters from other cities
3. The stops reduce riders from other cities, polluting the skies of Toronto
4. GO only goes into Union, which is useless unless you work at Union. the subway takes you to midtown, downtown, and uptown.
5. Transferring at Union is even worse than transferring at Kennedy
6. You pay a TTC fare to get to a GO station, a GO fare to take go, then another TTC fare to get to your work. It's not cost effective for the average commuter

Why do you think so many commuters get off GO at Long Branch, Mimco, Exhibition, Kipling, Danforth, Kennedy, and now Downsview park? Because it's cheaper and more convenient. Why don't Vaughan commuters take the barrie line, or RH commuters take the Richmond Hill Line? That's right, it's slower and more expensive than taking the subway.

By the way: 23% of Scarborough's population going to Downtown is 145,000 people, or around 300,000 trips per day just for work. Nevermind social interactions or community involvements. Although that's a really high ball, let's say eventually, with a good subway plan, 150,000 trips per day are taken from a Scarborough to Downtown (ignore midtown on the crosstown or BD line, because everyone has to go Downtown), that's a lot of trips, more than many sections of the BD line. Plus, eventually, Scarborough will have to densify; subways are built with the future in mind.

Again with Crosstown east, great if you live in South Scarborough along Eglinton, terrible if you live everywhere else. The STC needs to be served somehow, and there aren't many easy ways to do this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 9.29.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 9.29.38 PM.png
    898.3 KB · Views: 296
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 9.30.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 9.30.45 PM.png
    700.4 KB · Views: 304
Sour grapes? Right.

So your position is that the public shouldn't be informed, and that councilors shouldn't make decisions based on all the information available.

Is this what passes for intelligent decision making in Scarborough?

My position, as stated, as that the public should be informed, and it was abundantly informed.

Some SSE opponents, having failed to win the public opinion, chose to whine and pretend they didn't have a chance to speak out.

Then simply come up with a different LRT solution.

Yet another benefit of an LRT is that it offers far more flexibility in terms of alignment and implementation.

Or, cancel the insane subway plan and build the Eglinton East LRT.

There is no different LRT solution, able to carry 7,000+ pphpd between Kennedy and STC. If you chose LRT, then you have to run it in the Uxbridge sub corridor, or else tunnel it.

You can build Eglinton East LRT; that's fine, but doesn't in any way solve the problem of connecting Kennedy to STC.

Insanity is your inability to grasp that reality.

There is no different LRT solution, able to carry 7,000+ pphpd between Kennedy and STC. If you chose LRT, then you have to run it in the Uxbridge sub corridor, or else tunnel it.

You can build Eglinton East LRT; that's fine, but doesn't in any way solve the problem of connecting Kennedy to STC.

Insanity is your inability to grasp that reality.

The reality is that Kennedy is already connected to the STC. There is no need to spend $4 billion - $5 billion. They can simply upgrade the RT which is poorly used, at best, the vast majority of the time.

My position, as stated, as that the public should be informed, and it was abundantly informed.

Some SSE opponents, having failed to win the public opinion, chose to whine and pretend they didn't have a chance to speak out.

City council wasn't abundantly informed, as they aren't aware of the true costs differences.

You've confirmed that the level of public engagement in Scarborough is quite low, and intelligent political discourse is a foreign concept.

All facts will be ignored in favour of vote buying.

The reality is that Kennedy is already connected to the STC. There is no need to spend $4 billion - $5 billion. They can simply upgrade the RT which is poorly used, at best, the vast majority of the time.

RT is overloaded and the TTC is forced to run a parallel express bus service during the rush hours. Maybe that counts as poorly used in your parallel universe.

Yes it could be upgraded. That's not the configuration you were describing in the previous post.

City council wasn't abundantly informed, as they aren't aware of the true costs differences.

Was informed on multiple occassions.

You've confirmed that the level of public engagement in Scarborough is quite low, and intelligent political discourse is a foreign concept.

Obviously, if the outcome doesn't suit you, then it's not an intelligent political discourse.

All facts will be ignored in favour of vote buying.

A few whiners will complain, that won't stop the progress.

First you start with LRT, then move to upgrading the RT...Remember, it still uses the Uxbridge corridor, so Metrolinx/The Provincial Government will not finance a penny of it.

Your numbers are complete bullshit with regards to subway distances.
They are pretty much the exact same distances, and the ridership is basically the same. (Ridership counts are done one day every year, so a difference of about 2000, especially considering that you're comparing 8 stations to 3, is completely within a margin of error).

Thank you for the accurate measurements. Your statement, unfortunately, is intellectually dishonest.

Victoria Park to Kennedy is 4.74km...how many stations are in between? Just one.

How many stations are in between Broadview and Main Station? Six.

The stations from Broadview to Victoria Park are very, very clearly much closer together than the stations from Victoria Park to Kennedy. Victoria Park to Warden alone is over 2km. Broadview to Greenwood, a distance of just 2.3 km has 5 stations total.

Warden is huge, nearly 30,000 riders per day. That's better than Wellesley, Nearing Bloor-Yonge without the transfer, Rosedale, Summerhill, Davisville, Lawrence, York Mills, Sheppard Yonge without Sheppard Subway users, and North York centre. It also happens to be better than Ossgoode, Museum, and nearing the ridership of St. Patrick. The station has better ridership than Dundas West, Lansdowne, and is close to dufferin.

I believe you mentioned you don't live in Toronto, so I can understand if you don't have the same perspective as the rest of us when it comes to context.

Warden, according to 2015 numbers, handled 29,740 riders. Wellesley handled 23,140. So yes, Warden handled more riders. My question is: so what??

Wellesley is between a 5-10 minute walk to Yonge (by far the busiest station in the system) - I generally walk at a faster pace, and even on Yonge it's around 5 mins. They're only 700m apart. There are plenty of times I got off at Yonge & Bloor and simply walked south because transferring and waiting for the next train would've been slower. College Station, which handles nearly 48,000 riders, is just a 5 minute walk (a little more at an average speed) from Wellesley. These stations are close enough that if I'm at Yonge and Wellesley and need to get on the Bloor Line, I'll just walk to Bloor. This is not a terribly uncommon occurrence.

In contrast Warden is 2.02 km from Victoria Park (it'll be about a 30 minute walk, at best), and about 2.6km from Kennedy (a 40 minute walk at a brisk pace). These are Google estimates for the walk, and it's because they're in suburban areas that aren't terribly efficient for walking.

The point is that Warden's ridership isn't all that impressive given the context. Comparing it to other stations and ignoring things like distance is completely pointless.

People just want a transfer free trip from the STC to the Yonge line or the DRL, nothing more.

For the trillionth time, the current plan is utter shit, but that doesn't mean higher order transit isn't needed in the suburbs.

You've just made my point. This extension isn't needed. It's wanted.

As I'm sure you're aware, there's a very big difference between the two.

The DRL is needed, as the Yonge Line is already over capacity - the DRL should've been built a generation ago. As you may have noticed, the arguments for the DRL aren't:

'the people of Danforth shouldn't have to transfer at Yonge!'

'downtown deserves a DRL!'

The arguments are based on actual need and transit realities.

Making transfers are a fact of life when taking transit. If I want to travel south on Spadina when I'm at Spadina station, I have two options - I can get off and walk, or transfer to a streetcar. If I'm at Yonge & Bloor and want to head north, I have to transfer to the YUS Line.

There is probably a far more compelling fact-based transit case for a Spadina subway extension south of Bloor.

RT riders are incredibly lucky - a rapid transit connection that takes you from Kennedy to STC in 10 mins or less with stops in between is incredible. I certainly can't expect that kind of service traveling from Spadina Station to King & Spadina - and that's only a 3km trip.

The RT has been around for 33 years and there hasn't been any kind of massive jump in density - just as there hasn't been on Sheppard in the past 16 years. Building subways and hoping for density is a demonstrably bad idea, and it's an even worse idea when there are areas of need right now that are being ignored.

RT is overloaded and the TTC is forced to run a parallel express bus service during the rush hours. Maybe that counts as poorly used in your parallel universe.

Yes it could be upgraded. That's not the configuration you were describing in the previous post.

Was informed on multiple occassions.

Obviously, if the outcome doesn't suit you, then it's not an intelligent political discourse.

A few whiners will complain, that won't stop the progress.

I have mentioned more than once in this thread that upgrading the current RT would be an excellent solution.

It's not intelligent discourse if it isn't based on actual facts - something you clearly aren't interested in.

First you start with LRT, then move to upgrading the RT...Remember, it still uses the Uxbridge corridor, so Metrolinx/The Provincial Government will not finance a penny of it.
It occupies the same space that the transfer LRT plan would have occupied, which they funded, so they would logically have the same level of support for upgraded RT.
I have mentioned more than once in this thread that upgrading the current RT would be an excellent solution.

It's not intelligent discourse if it isn't based on actual facts - something you clearly aren't interested in.
Upgrading the RT would require people to admit that politics were put into transit under David Miller, not just Ford and Tory.

Thank you for the accurate measurements. Your statement, unfortunately, is intellectually dishonest.

Victoria Park to Kennedy is 4.74km...how many stations are in between? Just one.

How many stations are in between Broadview and Main Station? Six.

The stations from Broadview to Victoria Park are very, very clearly much closer together than the stations from Victoria Park to Kennedy. Victoria Park to Warden alone is over 2km. Broadview to Greenwood, a distance of just 2.3 km has 5 stations total.

I believe you mentioned you don't live in Toronto, so I can understand if you don't have the same perspective as the rest of us when it comes to context.

Warden, according to 2015 numbers, handled 29,740 riders. Wellesley handled 23,140. So yes, Warden handled more riders. My question is: so what??

Wellesley is between a 5-10 minute walk to Yonge (by far the busiest station in the system) - I generally walk at a faster pace, and even on Yonge it's around 5 mins. They're only 700m apart. There are plenty of times I got off at Yonge & Bloor and simply walked south because transferring and waiting for the next train would've been slower. College Station, which handles nearly 48,000 riders, is just a 5 minute walk (a little more at an average speed) from Wellesley. These stations are close enough that if I'm at Yonge and Wellesley and need to get on the Bloor Line, I'll just walk to Bloor. This is not a terribly uncommon occurrence.

In contrast Warden is 2.02 km from Victoria Park (it'll be about a 30 minute walk, at best), and about 2.6km from Kennedy (a 40 minute walk at a brisk pace). These are Google estimates for the walk, and it's because they're in suburban areas that aren't terribly efficient for walking.

The point is that Warden's ridership isn't all that impressive given the context. Comparing it to other stations and ignoring things like distance is completely pointless.

You've just made my point. This extension isn't needed. It's wanted.

As I'm sure you're aware, there's a very big difference between the two.

The DRL is needed, as the Yonge Line is already over capacity - the DRL should've been built a generation ago. As you may have noticed, the arguments for the DRL aren't:

'the people of Danforth shouldn't have to transfer at Yonge!'

'downtown deserves a DRL!'

The arguments are based on actual need and transit realities.

Making transfers are a fact of life when taking transit. If I want to travel south on Spadina when I'm at Spadina station, I have two options - I can get off and walk, or transfer to a streetcar. If I'm at Yonge & Bloor and want to head north, I have to transfer to the YUS Line.

There is probably a far more compelling fact-based transit case for a Spadina subway extension south of Bloor.

RT riders are incredibly lucky - a rapid transit connection that takes you from Kennedy to STC in 10 mins or less with stops in between is incredible. I certainly can't expect that kind of service traveling from Spadina Station to King & Spadina - and that's only a 3km trip.

The RT has been around for 33 years and there hasn't been any kind of massive jump in density - just as there hasn't been on Sheppard in the past 16 years. Building subways and hoping for density is a demonstrably bad idea, and it's an even worse idea when there are areas of need right now that are being ignored.

1. Just because I currently don't live in Toronto doesn't mean I haven't before.

That's exactly the point, the aboveground section between Vic Park and Kennedy has a total of 3 stations, and an equivalent ridership to an UNDERGROUND section with 8 stations. Do you for some reason think that more stations == fewer operational costs? How about running service in tunnels == fewer operational costs? I can say for certain that both of those sentiments are completely false. The point is that the suburban section, with the same number of riders and over the same distance, has a lower operating cost than the underground somewhat dense suburban stations than the underground section.

With regards to Wellesley, you stated yourself that:

And I'll state it again, considering that the subway there is 1. Aboveground and 2. Has a higher ridership than those downtown subway stations I listed, as well as all the suburban stations on the Yonge line, I think you're missing the point. (The key word in your sentence is: "despite", proving that your statement was false under that premise, but even considering the premise you wished to perpetuate, was false in general considering most Yonge Line stations.) Let me state this again: downtown stations only have ridership because of the fact that the subway lines feed into the suburbs. In other words, if stations like Sheppard West, Sheppard Yonge, North York Centre, Victoria Park, Islington, Warden, etc. did not exist, then the subway downtown would be a boondoggle. It's also worth noting that midday weekday ridership on the subway downtown is relatively high because the people that commute into the city by transit are doing things during their break (such as going out to eat). If those people drove into downtown for work, I guarantee that they would not be taking the subway to get around.

And for the last time: I have stated that a connection to the STC is NEEDED: around 25,000 trips are made there on an average weekday. Cutting off all those people from the rapid transit system is a terrible idea that will be met with opposition. I have stated before that the best option for Scarborough is an Elevated 3-subway line, or a cut and cover subway along McCowan; citizens have to choose between rapid transit and potential vibration issues for a few residents. The current LRT proposal makes no sense because the corridor it will use gets in the way of RER expansion, and is where absolutely no one lives. Ellesmere, Midland, and McCowan have ridership comparable to Bessarion, so expanding transit there is simply not worth it because of dwell time issues.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: transferring is necessary, yes, but unnecessary transferring is bad for the economy. It's especially bad for people in the suburbs because the system relies on surface transit to get to the subway (It is like this everywhere outside of downtown, and even then, people still take streetcars to the subway). Think about it: Bus to RT station, RT to Kennedy, Kennedy via Subway or Crosstown to Yonge Line, Yonge Line to Downtown, Downtown station to work via Walking or Streetcar. Think about it, that's transferring up to 4 times; 5 trips on public transit. That is absurd. People like public transit when they don't have to transfer, even if the trip takes a bit more time.

There probably isn't. 45K daily riders for 3 km of subway costing probably upwards of 4-5 Billion dollars vs 40K daily riders for 7km of subway costing around 4 Billion dollars, with an option for future subway stations (if the contractors aren't stupid). As bad as the current proposal is, it's better than whatever it is you just suggested. If you want a North-South subway downtown, build it on Bathurst or in between Bathurst and Spadina (depending on the depth of the subway). The University line probably should have been built on Spadina initially, but we're stuck with what we have now.

Your last statement is incredibly wrong: The ridership along the sheppard corridor has doubled since it was built, and concord park place is still a thing being built. The Sheppard subway was built along an incredibly important road in Northern toronto. Was it suitable for a subway? Not currently, but it has much more potential than a freight railway corridor in an industrial area. Also, 33 years is more than twice as long as 16 years, so you cannot even compare the two. (Fun fact: the Sheppard Subway ridership grew by about 5K people per day between 2008 and 2011 because of new condo developments at Bayview Village, and Don Mills opening, then levelled off, probably because of fare increases and lack of new buildings being built until 2014 (CPP).

Finally, I'd like to add that if you build both the Eglinton East LRT and a spur up McCowan and expect both LRT lines to Interline at Kennedy going west, then your ridership potential along each corridor drops from 15,000 PPHPD to 7,000 PPHPD (It's less because of switch time that increases dwell time). That's lower than what is required currently.

It occupies the same space that the transfer LRT plan would have occupied, which they funded, so they would logically have the same level of support for upgraded RT.

Upgrading the RT would require people to admit that politics were put into transit under David Miller, not just Ford and Tory.

RER wasn't really a thing along the Stouffville corridor until after they pledged that funding. When the city moved to the subway, there was room to upgrade the Stouffville corridor to RER, which makes a lot of sense now considering that ridership has significantly increased on that line (Along with Barrie and Kitchener).

Politics were put into planning long before that, ever since they decided to build the Bloor Subway before the Queen subway (Which, admittedly, wasn't a terrible idea now, but they really should have built both), and continued with the Spadina subway, the Sheppard Subway, the extension from Steeles to Vaughan, etc. and now the Scarborough Subway, all the new LRT lines, etc.

Building the RT in the first place was a far bigger political mistake than both Miller & Fords plans to fix it. The unfortunate Tory-Keesmaat one stop line only exists because of the polarization of the ideologies in how to replace this mistake when all reasonable compromises were rejected and GO RER moved forward to road block the opportunity to go back.

Adding to this polarization was the political mistakes of Lastmans Sheppard stubway and the political subway to the empty lands of Vaughan Centre. While a few outsiders will never care about Scarborough Centres connection to the City,the unnecessary additional transfer which would have been added to Sheppard commuters, the double standard in connectivity is increasingly glaring to the people who live here and therefore there will never be support for a cheaper, transfer plan. What exists and where we connect into it does matter in addition to ridership when we develop an overall plan to the majority of this lower income Toronto suburb with 25% of the population. The transfers have been called out and based on overwhelming support to build something more equitable, all government levels have responded. And all stripes at that, which is rare in a democracy and shows the democratic support which is being falsely reported quite often for... political reasons.

Last edited:

Well given that I highlighted your frivolous handling of the facts on multiple occasions, your latest statement is hilarious.

1. Just because I currently don't live in Toronto doesn't mean I haven't before.

That's exactly the point, the aboveground section between Vic Park and Kennedy has a total of 3 stations, and an equivalent ridership to an UNDERGROUND section with 8 stations. Do you for some reason think that more stations == fewer operational costs? How about running service in tunnels == fewer operational costs? I can say for certain that both of those sentiments are completely false. The point is that the suburban section, with the same number of riders and over the same distance, has a lower operating cost than the underground somewhat dense suburban stations than the underground section.

What does them being above ground have to do with anything?

Are you seriously arguing that transit in the suburbs is more cost effective than it is in high density environments???

You do realize the Sheppard Line still runs at a deficit, right?

Do you honestly think the SSE is an efficient project??

Let's see the stats that demonstrate Warden, Kennedy and their associated routes have the lowest operational costs.

Back