News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 434     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

It would be cool to see a single SRT car in the mezzanine of the new Scarborough Centre station once it's built. Whether it be affixed to a wall, hanging over an open air section, etc. There are so many ways to memorialize parts of our past using artistic interpretation building it into our surroundings.

Similar to how the rail from the Junction crossing is embedded in concrete at the beginning of the West Toronto Rail Path.

It would be cool to see a single SRT car in the mezzanine of the new Scarborough Centre station once it's built. Whether it be affixed to a wall, hanging over an open air section, etc. There are so many ways to memorialize parts of our past using artistic interpretation building it into our surroundings.

Similar to how the rail from the Junction crossing is embedded in concrete at the beginning of the West Toronto Rail Path.

Budapest did this.

When they rebuilt their main transfer station in the 1950s to accommodate a new subway line, they closed the old station and turned it into a museum. Currently, they have one of the original cars from the line on static display and the station itself is as it was in the 50s.

I took a walk along the SRT route this weekend. If I still live-posted on the bird site, I'd share the link, but I'm moving to BlueSky. I talked to a station attendant at Lawrence East, he said the SRT stations are still being staffed until the originally scheduled November 19 shutdown to guide any riders that didn't get the memo, and let them fill their Presto Cards.

Here's a quick selection of pics.

PXL_20231001_143521507.jpg
PXL_20231001_145838502.jpg
PXL_20231001_153037062.jpg
PXL_20231001_153203481.jpg
PXL_20231001_164801151.jpg

I'll also note 3001 is sitting at the front gatehouse at McCowan Yard.

PXL_20231001_171513842.jpg

What is the plan for the stations now that its been shut down?

I believe they are all being closed down in November.

Midland station will be a challenge since it forms part of the bridge structure. Kennedy and STC can be sealed up and mothballed ala Lower Bay given that they form part of an actual station.

Wasting infrastructure just seems like the stupidest choice / option of them all. There isn't a manufacturer in the world that designs trains that could run on the existing infrastructure? Ino this is all moot now & Scarborough has to wait 10yrs for a connection from Kennedy station & STC & beyond but it's really frustrating on many accounts.

Wasting infrastructure just seems like the stupidest choice / option of them all. There isn't a manufacturer in the world that designs trains that could run on the existing infrastructure? Ino this is all moot now & Scarborough has to wait 10yrs for a connection from Kennedy station & STC & beyond but it's really frustrating on many accounts.

This was looked into but the design of the tunnel at Ellesmere prevents this. They would have needed custom made vehicles which are quite expensive.

I believe they are all being closed down in November.

Midland station will be a challenge since it forms part of the bridge structure. Kennedy and STC can be sealed up and mothballed ala Lower Bay given that they form part of an actual station.
STC will be torn down in its entirety. The bus terminal is too far for the transfer to the subway, I guess it will be shifted east.

Not that I expected any thought to go into the SSE at all but I can't understand why they would build the new station so far from the attractions there.

As mentioned, I talked to TTC staff who confirmed they're manning the stations for customer assistance and fare processing until November 19.

After that, who knows. The guideway has been contemplated as an elevated park. Maybe there's other uses. This is part of a bog post (maybe a vlog?) I'm working on.

STC will be torn down in its entirety. The bus terminal is too far for the transfer to the subway, I guess it will be shifted east.

Not that I expected any thought to go into the SSE at all but I can't understand why they would build the new station so far from the attractions there.
I dont think the bus terminal will be torn down completely (at least yet). The MX website says that the new terminal will be at Sheppard and McCowan station, but it does specifically say "TTC Bus Terminal"

Source: https://www.metrolinx.com/en/projec...at-were-building/sheppard-and-mccowan-station

The tunnel could have been rebuilt or replaced with an elevated section. Toronto made a deliberate choice to throw the infrastructure away and build a subway for 4 to 5 times the price of rebuilding the line as lrt or light metro. There are advantages and disadvantages to both options in terms of transportation, but politics was the main factor. Let's not refight that battle.

As for the waste, next to no one in Canada takes the environmental costs of all the CO² and energy expended because concrete is jobs, not climate change. I think John Tory and Doug Ford literally worship a concrete idol hidden somewhere near the 401.

The tunnel could have been rebuilt or replaced with an elevated section.
Rebuilding it would have been problematic, as it would have likely required a shutdown or two of the surface railway line running above it.

It could not be replaced with an elevated section. The grades to access it from Ellesmere Station would be too great.

Dan

The tunnel could have been rebuilt or replaced with an elevated section. Toronto made a deliberate choice to throw the infrastructure away and build a subway for 4 to 5 times the price of rebuilding the line as lrt or light metro. There are advantages and disadvantages to both options in terms of transportation, but politics was the main factor. Let's not refight that battle.

As for the waste, next to no one in Canada takes the environmental costs of all the CO² and energy expended because concrete is jobs, not climate change. I think John Tory and Doug Ford literally worship a concrete idol hidden somewhere near the 401.
The tunnel could not be elevated unless you elevated the station and then having a ramp to the south. One way or another, you are looking at 12-18 months for the line to be out of service to do the work.

You got to thank ML and a few TTC Commissioners who represent Scarborough when the Pan Am games surface. The SRT was to be converted to LRT by 2015 along with the extension, but ML felt it would miss the game for opening up.

Based on delivery of TTC Flexity, there would be next to no LRT's for the SRT by June 2015 unless you moved the ones TTC had on hand at the time and would be still short cars with none for TTC system.

If one look at the mess if the Sheppard LRT was built as plan as it would have no cars on opening date in 2014 to the SRT plan as well TTC replacement, we most likely seeing the last of the 206 cars arriving for the existing fleet with the old fleet still on the road this year.

Back